Why'd they get rid of the epic crashes?

iluvtaf

Recently I was doing a crash test in Trainz 3, and instead of the train flying off the rails like in every version of Trainz before this one, it just stayed on the track with the only indicator of it being derailed being the X icon above it. I'll admit, I was pretty upset, because besides racing, crashing trains was one of my favorite things to do in the game. Why'd they decide to put the feature on the chopping block?

(also I'm trying to download Trainz 2009 on my computer, but MS Edge thinks it's a virus :/ )

Maybe they could improve that in the next version of Trainz to make them look more lifelike.

This has been discussed before in these forums. What is "lifelike"? It would never be "realistic" enough for many.

The reality is that the physics involved is very complex. Rail cars are not like solid billiard balls bouncing around a billiard table. Rolling stock creators would have to build into their assets deformation and material data (wood, metal, composite, etc). The programming and testing effort that would be needed would be enormous when most Trainz users simply want to run "safe" railroads, not "crash and burn" simulations.

A dedicated crash simulator would better suit your "needs".

If you want a game that's all about breaking stuff, may I suggest BeamNG?

Matt

Last edited:
Recently I was doing a crash test in Trainz 3, and instead of the train flying off the rails like in every version of Trainz before this one, it just stayed on the track with the only indicator of it being derailed being the X icon above it. I'll admit, I was pretty upset, because besides racing, crashing trains was one of my favorite things to do in the game. Why'd they decide to put the feature on the chopping block?

Because this is a train simulator, not a crash and smash simulator.

(also I'm trying to download Trainz 2009 on my computer, but MS Edge thinks it's a virus :/ )

Gomez Adams lives ! :eek:

I've spoken about this before, and while TRS2019 is not TC&S2019 (Trainz Crash and Smash 2019), its still a realistic game that deserves some realistic features, like a train derailment or even stuff like cab inertia that can be toggled off at will. I always found it fun and while in some applications it doesn't have its place I think it would greatly aide people working to recreate historic derailments for things like documentaries or even stuff like screenshots.

My opinion.

Last edited:
The crashes that you so admire were cartoonish and totally unrealistic. They were an embarrassment. I for one am pleased to see them go.
so if we are aiming for realism, why go from actually having momentum and moving once off the rails to just clipping together forming a clump of railcars.

so if we are aiming for realism, why go from actually having momentum and moving once off the rails to just clipping together forming a clump of railcars.

There was nothing terrific about the derailments in the earlier versions. The whole momentum thing was truly absurd because the train cars would fly all over the place and bounce like marbles spilled on the floor.

While neither dramatic nor perfect, the clink, clunk, and then drop off the tracks is a lot better.

Last edited:
Add more weight to the trains, bring back the dust clouds, and maybe have some splashes when it hits water, and BOOM! Crashes (mostly) fixed.
Yes, there is no way to make a perfect train crash in Trainz, but it would still be a necessary feature to have it.
While we're at it, bring back the braking sparks! Then you have the old switches that didn't have locks. Switches should have a feature where you can turn the locks on and off for each one, (with them being on by default of course).

Back