Why I am upset with the last two "Updates"

So if you have any release of "Standard" you do not have UDS. UDS comes with Platinum and PLus SP3 and SP4.

Thank you for that response. That is what I thought but the original poster of this thread has TRS19 in his timeline, not TRS19 Platinum and he is describing an issue that sometimes arises with the UDS when users are not aware of how it works. But then I have TRS19 Platinum in my timeline but I have Trainz Plus. Confusing and crazy.

An emotional response?

No, but thanks for asking. It was a civil, pointed comment on a fact issue. I'm not really sure where your psycho-analysis of a single comment has anything to do with anything.

Suggesting I'm a complainer and emotionally unwell, is entirely out of line.

Next time will be met with an abuse report.

Thank you for that response. That is what I thought but the original poster of this thread has TRS19 in his timeline, not TRS19 Platinum and he is describing an issue that sometimes arises with the UDS when users are not aware of how it works. But then I have TRS19 Platinum in my timeline but I have Trainz Plus. Confusing and crazy.

Let me check his post and compare with my Standard SP3 install a bit. Perhaps then download the one available from My Downloads and see if it's SP4 as I suspect. However, it may be a while or it may be tomorrow. I may be going to ER tonight or tomorrow and they may or may not keep me.

I'm not really sure where your psycho-analysis of a single comment has anything to do with anything.

Years spent dealing with teenagers and a few adults with "anger management"issues. Not a single comment, some of your posts in other threads have been similar.

Suggesting I'm a complainer and emotionally unwell, is entirely out of line.

Next time will be met with an abuse report.

Please report me. I have added you to my ignore list. I suggest you do the same to me.

Let me check his post and compare with my Standard SP3 install a bit. Perhaps then download the one available from My Downloads and see if it's SP4 as I suspect. However, it may be a while or it may be tomorrow. I may be going to ER tonight or tomorrow and they may or may not keep me.

Thank you for that. I do hope it will be a very short stay. Best wishes.

TRS19 in the timeline.
TRS19 Will be shown in the timeline if you have a Gold sub and do no own an outright copy.
TRS19 Will be shown if you have TRS19 Standard outright and any subscription, Gold, Silver or Plus
TRS19 Platinum will be shown if you have Platinum outright and any sub, Gold Silver or Plus.
An observation from my journey on TRS19

Cheers Graeme

Not a programmer here, but what I do here when work on scripts is add enough comments,
that i can search and explain in steno what I did

The problem with Trainz that beside a main code there are a few hundred little scripts that do part of the work
112 you can read in the resources/scripts dir, but there are many more in separate kuids
then for html related stuff, there are 67 files in userinterface and again many more via separate kuids
then there are what I want to call outsourced things, like PhysX, speedtrees, TNI etc. etc.
next, it needs to work on many platforms, increasing the code drasticly.

If you want to call it spaghetti, fine I think its way more complex :)
more complex is more error.
I would not want to be in the shoes of a Trainz programmer today.
Lets try to help them, by being as precise as we can with bug reports and our wishes

The negatives of everything being a kuid...

To be honest I think the game would run much smoother if the scripts were more built into the game files and not an actual trainz asset. I may be wrong, but thats just my basic opinion.

You could be right kcwright,
but the system now with separate scripts/kuids, allows content creators more freedom specially scripters
I would call it an "open" system.

You could be right kcwright,
but the system now with separate scripts/kuids, allows content creators more freedom specially scripters
I would call it an "open" system.

The modular nature of the Trainz ecosystem is what makes this very unique as it allows micro-updates to content without having to write the whole thing from scratch.

I think the biggest issue is lots of undocumented changes combined with some compatibility so that some things work fine, but others do not. If the script writers were given access to the updates immediately, perhaps with a change-list easily available in the Content-Creators/Scripters forum as a sticky, that would really help those that write new scripts or are up to the task of updating old ones.

Granted, there are going to be lots of locked scripts that cannot be updated due to the authors no longer being around, but that's another issue altogether.

yup John, a lot gets changed without beta testers or content creators know
if a beta tester would know exact what was changed, testing could be more effective
same for content creation, scripts etc.
Example: I lost a full day, scripting, because 1 function was secretly added in SP3, while I was testing in before SP1
I learn fast but not that well in mindreading and future prediction yet :)

Dave I started up you session. I was in thee yard with silica train one. The first driver however wasn't assigned a train. Been awhile since I last ran the session but I thought he was running a passenger train.

rob

For UDS to work correctly I understand that all consists need to be in the surveyor level. What about portals? Do they also need to be in the surveyor level so that they get set back to the start position? What happens to all the consists they have spawned? Do they get erased or are they still running around where they left off?

For UDS to work correctly I understand that all consists need to be in the surveyor level. What about portals? Do they also need to be in the surveyor level so that they get set back to the start position? What happens to all the consists they have spawned? Do they get erased or are they still running around where they left off?

Not sure what you mean by "Surveyor Level" - possibly "Route Layers" or "Session Layers"? N3V have recommended that all consists be in a Session Layer for the UDS.

Regarding portals (and a few other things) see https://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/How_to_Use_the_UDS_Interface#Some_Questions_Answered

Not sure what you mean by "Surveyor Level" - possibly "Route Layers" or "Session Layers"? N3V have recommended that all consists be in a Session Layer for the UDS.

Regarding portals (and a few other things) see https://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/How_to_Use_the_UDS_Interface#Some_Questions_Answered

I did mean session level - long day at the office.

I read the questions answered link you provided. It seems to indicate that the portals must also be in the session level, and if it is then the train will be in the session layer. But then it goes on to talk about trains returning from a portal: " if a train is originally in a Session Layer then it is part of a Session. If it is returned from a portal then it will now be in a Route Layer and will be part of the Route." Not sure what this means, if the portal is in the session layer why would it return the train in the route layer?

I read the questions answered link you provided. It seems to indicate that the portals must also be in the session level, and if it is then the train will be in the session layer. But then it goes on to talk about trains returning from a portal: " if a train is originally in a Session Layer then it is part of a Session. If it is returned from a portal then it will now be in a Route Layer and will be part of the Route." Not sure what this means, if the portal is in the session layer why would it return the train in the route layer?

I will reword the entry on the wiki. But as all (or nearly all) portals are in route layers (the best place for them in my opinion) then any train emerging from a portal will be placed in the same route layer as the portal. If a train is originally in a Session Layer (as recommended for TRS19 Platinum and Trainz Plus) and enters a portal (which is in a Route Layer) and the train is returned to the route, then it will emerge in the same route layer as the portal. It will no longer be in a Session Layer.

As far as I can see this makes no difference to the operation of Sessions except where you use the UDS to jump into Surveyor from Driver, edit something and save the Route - the train will now be saved as part of the Route and not as a part of the Session. So my advice it to reset any consists that have emerged from a portal back to their original Session before saving the Route.

Hope this is clear.

...n. So my advice it to reset any consists that have emerged from a portal back to their original Session before saving the Route.

Hope this is clear.
Very clear but rather cumbersome if those consists are scattered all over a very large map.

ANOTHER process that, if no done properly, will result in customer confusion and maybe some bitter comments. Trains and portals should be in the same layer..... I ran for years only using the route layer. I did mot understand the reason for layers so I avoided them.

ANOTHER process that, if no done properly, will result in customer confusion and maybe some bitter comments. Trains and portals should be in the same layer..... I ran for years only using the route layer. I did mot understand the reason for layers so I avoided them.

My conclusion is that for the UDS to work correctly both the trains and the portals must be in the session layer if you want everything to start back at the "beginning" position. I you use the UDS feature and if the portals are in the route layer then when you restart trainz you have consists scattered all over the place. This is contrary to what is stated in the wiki. If you have only one session for the route then this works perfectly.

Last edited:
I agree it is a problem if you have portals (which I admit I very rarely use) and use the UDS during the development of your route/session. The ideal solution would be to include layer data in each consist data set so that when it is produced from a portal it will be assigned to the correct layer. All of my routes are used to create multiple sessions so placing portals in a session layer would mean adding, and configuring, each portal multiple times, once in each session. That would be a real pain but as you pointed out - "If you have only one session for the route then this works perfectly". I will look again at the Wiki to see what ambiguity is still there.

EDIT: I have submitted a bug report on this issue to see what the devs at N3V can make of it.

Last edited:
Dave I started up you session. I was in thee yard with silica train one. The first driver however wasn't assigned a train. Been awhile since I last ran the session but I thought he was running a passenger train.

rob

That's what happened to me one time. When the Original session starts at the beginning, the Amtrak is supposed to be just leaving the yard, heading north. That's no longer the case. N3V did something that changed the start sessions. It has absolutely and positively ruined the game for me. It's both depressing and sad. Also, there's hardly any traffic on the roads when previously there was LOTS of road carz.

I'm done with Trainz.

Back