How to delete built-in but obsolete assets?

Some of you TRS2019 users who use YARNish roads and intersections remember that some of the existing T intersections became broken in TRS2019, but fortunately someone replaced them with new ones that work. Unfortunately I have a large route that has a mixture of both. I have removed them from my picklist and added the good ones. I would line to uninstall them and then look in the route to see which are missing and replace just those, without having to look at each one individually. And of course bulk asset/replace does not work for fixed track objects.

They are 2:506208:100115:3 and 2:506208:100114:3 both by streadway and both show as Built-In and Obsolete and the delete function will not work (greyed out). Suggestions?

Basically, built-in and (so I believe) base assets cannot be deleted. You can however disable them so they cannot be selected and they will be reported as "missing assets" if they are used in a route. To disable (and enable) select the asset(s) and open the Content menu in CM.

EDIT: Nope! Cancel that. I just tried to disable some assets labelled "Built-in, Obsolete" and while I could select "Disable" from the Content menu, it seemed to have no effect.

Last edited:
Disabling assets (even built-ins) does have an effect. Try disabling <kuid:401543:1077> SpeedTree Library, and the speedtrees won't be rendered. If obsolete mesh libraries are not disabled (or deleted), Trainz is often trying to find a mesh in the obsolete library, instead of using the newest one.

Peter

They are obsolete because Trainz no longer uses them in your route. The new ones automatically replace the old ones. The version number at the end of the asset kuid is what Trainz looks at and uses the highest-numbered asset in your route. This may not apply if the creator used a different kuid instead of just a version number.

Doesn't this system lead to polution on your drive in the end?
I know HD space is cheap, but it sounds bad to me

Lets follow 1 file, you installed the Original TRS19
1 built-in item is in TRS19/resources/builtin
2 you start trainz now its also in local/packages
3 then it gets cached, give an entry in asset-cache.tdx?
4 and an entry in cache/packaged-precache
5 you edit a route, now it is also in backups/datetoday

6 It gets an update and you download from DLS
7 in cache/internet you will see a new .cdp
8 not sure which of the above get replaced

worst case scenario it is actually 6 or 7 times on your HD
feel free to correct me

As I see it
1 is the base installation that N3V provides with the download.
2 it is copied to Original which also holds new DLS assets downloaded. These are used for revert assets.
3 local holds the assets that you may have altered or modified.
4 packages only hold the DLC content.
5 cache is only an index which the game reads.
6 backups only store the route and session, not assets.
7 assets don't get replaced, they just get obsoleted which can then be deleted if not built-in or packaged.
8 an SP update only updates the original at 1.

The kuids seem to be the same except for version, but nonetheless the problem remains. Thanks to all who responded.

Last edited:
Yeah stagecoach could be a better description
the fact remains many items are on your HD more than once
for a few hundred small items no problem
but if N3v/creators starts PBRizing all and we have many items this can easily get out of hand

For reference, I have the following internal or built in obsolete assets:
TANE: 1819 assets
Trainz 2019: 885 assets
A small to medium problem depending on the capacity of the hard drive.
A task for the following Trainz versions: to be able to remove obsolete built in assets.

For reference, I have the following internal or built in obsolete assets:
TANE: 1819 assets
Trainz 2019: 885 assets
A small to medium problem depending on the capacity of the hard drive.
A task for the following Trainz versions: to be able to remove obsolete built in assets.

There is no impact on the hard disk because the assets that are obsolete are there anyway and always will because they are locked inside the DLC package files.

Back