New Macs, Potential Upgrade

SRKing783

''Trainz Veteran''
Hi all,

Less than an hour ago, the new MacBook Pros were announced, and I plan on getting one soon. I know they aren’t out so I can’t see benchmarks or anything, but I’ve been waiting for these all year, and here they are. Here’s what I’m planning on getting:

MacBook Pro 16”
M1 Pro (10-core CPU, 16-core GPU)
16GB or 32GB RAM
1TB or 2TB SSD

I’m doing either 32GB RAM and 1TB SSD, or 16GB RAM and 2TB SSD… or save $400 and get 16GB RAM and 1TB SSD. I don’t think I’d need the M1 Max, but…. Trainz Mac users, what are your thoughts? Or should we talk about this when reviewers get their hands on these laptops?

Thanks,

SRKing

I’d never buy anything first off the assembly line. Wait a few months and see. Apple sometimes makes lemons.
my thoughts,
casey

That’s true. I was planning on waiting for the reviewes until I decide to empty my wallet. I have one question, however - should the M1 Pro w/ 16GB and 16-core GPU (based on the power estimates and the M1) be able to run TS19 on low to mid graphics settings at 60FPS? If so, then there’s no need for me to feel FOMO for not getting the Max.

I think a wait and see policy is best. If I understand the new Apple silicon, the unified memory is fixed, that is it can't be expanded. Consider how long you might want this computer to last and whether 16GB may be a restriction in the future.

It did look interesting from the presentation, but I haven't checked the prices as I'm not looking at buying a Mac computer in the near future.

You cannot upgrade the memory in the Apple Silicon Macs. Well, at least not unless you have extreme skills and tools. The regular M1s already run Trainz very well. I currently get 60FPS if I don’t have everything ultra on my 16GB mini. I crank it up to ultra everything so I can see differences in FPS.

These Macs should do much better.

You cannot upgrade the memory in the Apple Silicon Macs. Well, at least not unless you have extreme skills and tools. The regular M1s already run Trainz very well. I currently get 60FPS if I don’t have everything ultra on my 16GB mini. I crank it up to ultra everything so I can see differences in FPS.

These Macs should do much better.

I know about not being able to upgrade the RAM, and that’s the part I’m worried about. Although 16GB will probably be enough (and I don’t want an already expensive laptop hiking up to $3,000+), I’m still unsure as to whether or not TS19 needs more RAM. Although… if you say that you get 60FPS in the M1 mini with no ultra settings, then… is there a chance that the 16-core GPU M1 Pro w/ 16GB will get me 60FPS+ with ultra settings? Because if so, then I really have nothing to worry about.

memory response was for Amigacookie.

With Trainz2019 running a session, mail, messages, calendar, notes, news, music, feedback, activity monitor, shortcuts, script editor, and Biotmoji running I'm using 11.33GB memory.

Trainz Mac users, what are your thoughts? Or should we talk about this when reviewers get their hands on these laptops?
Hi SRKing,
As I mentioned in another forum, I tried out TRS19 build 114841 on a M1 Max MBP under Monterey 12.0.1. With all settings to maximum, the app runs smooth with a very good frame rate, without any 'jitter'. (Apart from that, putting all settings to full does not improve the experience that much.) I also ran into a problem, that the TRS19 interface like the speed meter 'freezes' sometimes - I do not know yet what causes this and I have not found other app with problems as yet. Apart from this, I think that a M1 Pro as you describe will also give a very good experience, but if you have the chance, try it for yourself. I saw a review about the notion of 'unified memory' that would perhaps lead to the conclusion that 32 GB RAM is better than 16. As for the SSD, TRS19 runs perfectly with the data on an external SSD, connected via USB.
--- Edited --- The freezing also happens with build 114841 on a i7 Mac under MacOS 12.0.1 so perhaps it does not have anything to do with the specific Mac hardware platform.​

Last edited:
Oh, ok then. I think I might be able to check out the new Macs sometime in person soon. So, your advice is to still stick with the M1 Pro, but go with 32 GB of RAM, correct? And, for $3,099… for a laptop that is as powerful as the cheese grater Mac Pro… I’ll take it. I’m not going to order it immediately, might wait for the holiday rush to end and for Apple to make enough to ship them in a week, but… yeah. Thank you for your advice.

Oh, ok then. I think I might be able to check out the new Macs sometime in person soon. So, your advice is to still stick with the M1 Pro, but go with 32 GB of RAM, correct?
It was not meant as an advice, the best is, see it or try it yourself as the price is considerable. As for the memory, the CPU's and GPU's use the same memory in this 'unified' concept. On my 16 GB i7 MBP Mail together with Safari with lots of tabs, Word and Powerpoint make the system unworkable slow, that is why I would go for 32. On the M1 Max system, MacOS plus a running TRS19 route (ECML Dundee - Kings Cross) full screen needs about 14 GB in total with about 8,6 GB for TRS19.

Back