SP4 Legacy Water- Cant remove water or have lots of new water

davemare

SP4 installed nicely and fixed some issues I was having with turntables. Then I tried to edit environment and change a water effect, I was offered the option to update the legacy water.

I now have water showing on all the tile outlines, and water showing up all over the place where there was no visible water before (confirmed in wire frame).

This new water is visible when you go to Wire Frame.

I have found the water function in the advanced topology tab, called legacy water import and have figured out how to change the effects. However

1. How do you remove water in surveyor?
2. How do you add a consistent level water area ie a lake or river over a large area - the height up/down buttons make a mess.
3. How do you adjust the height of a lake/river so it is consistent.

Basically, i am trying to do what I have done before in TRS SP3 with water, however it sure isnt behaving the same? help

Thanks Dave

Hi Dave I toyed a bit with the new water in SP4
it looks nice but is far from complete atm.

My advice, only use it on a new test route, never in existing routes you worked on long
currently its behaviour is very unpredictable and you can end up, getting water all over the place
and no way to remove it (except copying over with something)

It will be developed more by N3v and probably integrated in TRS22 build 5.0
hopefully
-we can have a few different waters in 1 route
-and different heights for them
-and different colors

Hi G.M.

thanks for response.

bad news is that i accepted the convert to legacy water option and the script ran, and I saved before i discovered the issue. So will stick with this mess. Normally I dont use a SP for many months/years, however my turntables were all broken in SP3, so need to get operations back online.

here is my report

1. Why in the world would someone call a program that converts your water to the new water effects be called a legacy water option. this name, which didnt have any details, implied I would continue to use legacy commands. Builders beware. I now have 5 years of route work with hundreds of tiles with water I cant change or fix or remove.

2. I have now tested the water effects and legacy option water effects- same thing with 2 names, same issues they both seem to use the turf x code, and only allow you to adjust water height up or down using the adjust up/down functions based on your cursor scope. Unfortunately the 2 functions treat water as if it was ground, ie peaks and valleys. Water is flat and I can not find a way to make water flat? So now I have peaks and valleys in my lakes and rivers. UGH

3. Okay I figure if maybe the select area or fill functions might create large bodies of water of same height, wrong, you select them, then go to adjust and it go back to your cursor. So these functions dont seem to work.

4. I have discovered how to get rid of the water effects ( however I dont think the water is removed as in pre SP3, rather just hidden somewhere in a layer). Using show wire frame, you will find water all kinds of places. The most consistent for me is on the edges of each tile. So I set the sensitivity to max, select area to max and use the adjust down function. I start at the lowest ground height and continue to drag along the water strips until they disappear. Bad news for me I have many hundreds of tiles in the route.

This function was definitely not ready for prime time, sure water looks great, but doesnt seem to be workable as in surveyor and in my route has made a mess of my lakes and rivers..

I am hoping someone has insight into this. My only wish right now is how to make flat water again. If you have any ideas on how to make water flat, please let me know

Thanks

Dave

Dave sorry to hear
please go to your local/backup directory and copy it somewhere safe
there are ways to get all back before you did the water changes
search the trainz wiki how to restore your work

The revised name for this post should be: TRS 19 SP4 includes an experimental feature in a SP release!

Please note this is a warning to all route builders that when you change your environment settings with TRS 19 Platinum SP4 , specifcally the water type ie ripples,calm etc, you will get a scripted message that asks if you want to change to the legacy water effect. the answer is NO!!!. I answered Yes and now have an experimental feature from a Service Pack release. I am posting below the answer I got when I reported the problem. Maybe someone with more pull than me can ask some tough questions about this release and how an experimental feature makes it to GR with scripted code that actually makes the change for you.

Quote from Helpdesk

The change from legacy water to the new Water Effect cannot be undone, and is an experimental feature. For any bugs, please submit a bug report via our bug report form at https://n3vgames.typeform.com/to/xRdryu as this will ensure that our QA team receives your bug reports directly, and can contact you directly if they need further information.

However please keep in mind that this is an experimental new feature, and it is likely that further changes will be made to this in the future.

You can find some information how to use this in the following article on our wiki: https://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/Trainz_Plus#Water_Effects_Layer

Last edited:
The standard version of TRS19 with SP4 doesn't automatically offer the upgrade to an effect layer, if you change the water type. You have to push the button "Upgrade Water to Effect Layer" to start this change. There isn't any message saying "change to legacy water effect".

Peter

Hi there.. yes the first viewing of legacy water does bring out a lot of emmotions. No worries, all is not lost as once you figure out how to remove it, level it and add new water, it works pretty well. I have been suing the legacy water since 2021 in TRS 19 and now am pretty satisfied with the outcome. However I did have to figure this out by trial and error (lots of error)

First question, what got destroyed? can you describe what happened? When I first selected use legacy water, I had water where the rivers and lakes were, but also on the grid lines where r there should have been ground.. So I took some time and removed all the water from where it wasnt supposed to be. How you ask?

Select the Topology tab F1, select advanced, function below advanced, could say Ground, select through to Legacy water. Select height down "d" at top, set radius to max, set sensitivty to max. Now when you move your cursor over an area, water should lower and then disappear under the ground. This works well for mountains. For a fflat area, you can select Get height "G. and then on use Height H, set the level a bit lower. Again drag your cursor over the area and water will disappear.

You may also notice water along river banks is jagged. This can be fixed by selecting the get height, and selecting use height and moving cursor along the river banks. This will level out the jagged edges.

Bottom line, moving between Ground and Legacy Water become part of route building. Just remember to go back to ground for the default.

Hope this helps

@Michaeliscool

I understand your frustrations with Trainz, and yes, we've all been there but posting here with inappropriate language can get you in trouble. There are many people here who are much older who don't appreciate that kind of language. You should edit your post. Just saying...

Hi there.. yes the first viewing of legacy water does bring out a lot of emmotions. No worries, all is not lost as once you figure out how to remove it, level it and add new water, it works pretty well. I have been suing the legacy water since 2021 in TRS 19 and now am pretty satisfied with the outcome. However I did have to figure this out by trial and error (lots of error)

First question, what got destroyed? can you describe what happened? When I first selected use legacy water, I had water where the rivers and lakes were, but also on the grid lines where r there should have been ground.. So I took some time and removed all the water from where it wasnt supposed to be. How you ask?

Select the Topology tab F1, select advanced, function below advanced, could say Ground, select through to Legacy water. Select height down "d" at top, set radius to max, set sensitivty to max. Now when you move your cursor over an area, water should lower and then disappear under the ground. This works well for mountains. For a fflat area, you can select Get height "G. and then on use Height H, set the level a bit lower. Again drag your cursor over the area and water will disappear.

You may also notice water along river banks is jagged. This can be fixed by selecting the get height, and selecting use height and moving cursor along the river banks. This will level out the jagged edges.

Bottom line, moving between Ground and Legacy Water become part of route building. Just remember to go back to ground for the default.

Hope this helps
so what happens that the world corrupted had to delete and restart at earlier date . anyway new problem invisible water . OH GOD i am negatively impacted by this =(

Back