Do I have to get Auran's permission to clone one of their routes and modify it?

I want to clone an auran route (kickstarter ) modify it and release the modified version under my name? Do I have to get their permission to do this since the author is Auran?

Since TRS19 you can basically modify and release any modified DLC's under your own kuid to others that owns also own the DLC since all you are creating is an alias rather than using the actual route (from N3V's store / built-in routes only).
Hope this helps.

Cheers

Last edited:
Modify yes, release absolutely not! DLC is after-all payware and on no account can you release a modified version without permission. Surprised anyone would say otherwise. Best ask Zec or via the helpdesk to confirm.

Hiawathamr I really don't understand this part of your reply" basically modify and release any modified DLC's to others that owns it" own what the game?

Alikiwi Your answer sounds reasonable except the content manger says that auran is the owner and because I own 20019 I was wondering why I had to get permission because I have never able to create a help request because its too complicated for me to figure out (which category I want etc) I was hoping to avoid it.

Your help with Zec is good but I don't really know who he is.

Thanks for putting up with me because at 75 I find it harder and harder figure out how all the extraneous thing like this work

Thanks dave

Hiawathamr I really don't understand this part of your reply" basically modify and release any modified DLC's to others that owns it" own what the game?

Typed a bit too fast there:D (btw I've fixed it)

Anyway the info I got was from http://trs19.trainzportal.com/
Scroll down until you get to "MORE THAN JUST DRIVING TRAINS" part

ozNTA8J.jpg

Cheers

Thank you Hiawathamr your right it doesn't say anything about needing permission but Alikiw implies I do so I will think about when I have some time or I hope someone in authority will answer my question. maybe Tony himself?

1611mac thanks for the idea but none of them have a standard and a 30in
narrow gauge routes working together and set in the early 1900's that I found. If you know of one let me know. Is there any signifinance to the 1611 as its the year the KJV bible first came out.

Thanks again for all your help
Dave

Thank you Hiawathamr your right it doesn't say anything about needing permission but Alikiw implies I do so I will think about when I have some time or I hope someone in authority will answer my question. maybe Tony himself?

1611mac thanks for the idea but none of them have a standard and a 30in
narrow gauge routes working together and set in the early 1900's that I found. If you know of one let me know. Is there any signifinance to the 1611 as its the year the KJV bible first came out.

Thanks again for all your help
Dave

Hello, didn't intend to infer any particular kind of Route... just that plenty of people clone routes and upload them.. that's all.
Sending PM about my handle...

Imagine you worked years on a Route and put it out as a DLC
people buy that route, you are glad and proud and receive (cough)half of the income

Then someone, starts changing that route in a few weeks and puts it on the DLS , without you knowing
everyone will see and download that new version and play the modified 1 if better
Yes you still would need the original DLC I guess.
For kickstarter =Auran, no problem

If it would happen to me, I guess I would stop developing for Trainz forever.
same thing, that happens in SP4 with freeware DLS items, suddenly become payware
if used in some DLC, if it happened to me I would be FURY-ous.

My understanding is that any assets created by Auran/N3V can be cloned, modified and then uploaded to the DLS. The DLS is full of "copies" of various original Auran routes such as "Town and Country" (hundreds of them) and other assets. I have cloned, modified and uploaded to the DLS Auran created speed signs, but I included in the description an acknowledgement of the source.

DLC content by other creators - definitely not. I would not even dare asking them for permission!

Hi All
To confirm how routes in DLC packs work in TRS19, as this is different compared to previous releases. This only applies to routes that are installed in a DLC pack from the Trainz Store, installing a payware route pack from another website doesn't apply here.

When you edit a route, it is created as an 'alias' of the original route, meaning that it won't work unless the original DLC pack route is installed (ie for someone to use the edit, they need to own and install the DLC pack!). This means that you can edit the route, and share the edits. It is generally recommended to obtain permission from creators, but in this case it may not always be necessary to do so since it relies on the original for the edit to function. For routes created by us (ie Kickstarter County and Kickstarter County 2), sharing edited versions of these routes is fine without needing to contact us.

This has been the case in TRS19 since the original release of TRS19 :)

Regards

Zec

Thank you for clarifying my problem. I had stopped working on my layout because I could NOT get a clear answer and it seemed like whatever I did someone would be upset and since I only wanted to pay back the trainz community for all the great things I've taken from the download station I had decided to forget about it.

Now I will feel good about giving something back to the community when I get my route uploaded in about a month

Thanks again Zec you'll never know how great you made me feel by clarifying the situation

Dave
Happy days are here again.

Back