Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trainz very jerky, and track and other objects take a long time to materialise.

Default Trainz very jerky, and track and other objects take a long time to materialise.

Recently I've found the movement of trains is very stuttery, and that many objects, including track, take a long time to emerge. I recently took all performance ratings to the minimum and I removed all but two consists, but it made no difference.

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60GHz 3.60 GHz
    No HDD just two 1Tb SSDs, most of it unused.
    32 Gb RAM

Is it possible to get Trainz to run smoothly?

One thing to try is to close all other programs. Had this issue with my drive backup program.

United States of America, Massachusetts, Haverhill

The first run after an upgrade will be slow due to the content being cached. Once that has finished, routes and content will load up very quickly. There is one more thing to watch for, though. If this is a fresh install, ensure that PhysX is not enabled. If it is, you will see a drop in performance. It's still a known issue.
    John
    Trainz User Since: 12-2003
    Trainz User ID: 124863
    TRS2019/Trainz-PLUS: 114800
    TRS22 Beta tester

United States of America, California, San Jose
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JCitron View Post
    The first run after an upgrade will be slow due to the content being cached. Once that has finished, routes and content will load up very quickly. There is one more thing to watch for, though. If this is a fresh install, ensure that PhysX is not enabled. If it is, you will see a drop in performance. It's still a known issue.
    For sure, this will likely help. I had PhysX on all the time, until this month. Now, it is so much smoother.

Make train simulators great again #MTSGA obiter dictum

Where would I find this PhysX ?
    pop pop

Do you have a dedicated video card (if so, what is it?) or just motherboard graphics?
    T:ANE SP4 (105946), TRS19 SP3 (111951), Max 2009/2012, PhotoShop CS3
    Win10, i7 5820K, 3.3GHz, 32GB ram, GTX 980Ti, 2x512GB SSDs

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stouthm View Post
    Where would I find this PhysX ?

From the Trainz Launcher select Trainz Settings then the Performance tab. Untick the box labelled "Use PhysX simulation".
    Trainz Plus (TRS19) build 114800 (SP4)
    Trainz Plus (TRS22) build 115628 (beta)
    Trainz Simulator 3 (Mobile)

Orpheus2000 - The crucial PC component for rendering Trainz graphics is your Graphics Processing Unit (GPU).
    You have not provided the spec for your GPU. Does this mean that you are relying on the relatively weak integrated GPU on the i7-9700k processor?
    The T:ANE and TRS19 simulations need a grunty (typically discrete) GPU to generate smooth frame-rates and fast-rendering video 'pages'.
    Even a reasonably competent CPU like yours cannot compensate for the need for the much faster parallel processing required/ produced by GPUs.

Quote Originally Posted by gt350 View Post
    One thing to try is to close all other programs. Had this issue with my drive backup program.
    yep, I always do that.

Quote Originally Posted by JCitron View Post
    This happened before and after latest patch, but I bet your advice about Physx is the one. I will check that soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Dinorius_Redundicus View Post
    Do you have a dedicated video card (if so, what is it?) or just motherboard graphics?
    Nvidia geforce GTX 1660 Ti

Try running a TrainsUtil "prebuild" and see if that helps.
    https://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/...php/TrainzUtil
    22 Plus beta 115628; 19 Plus SP5 beta 115653; 19-Std SP3; Tane SP4
    Win10, GTX1060-6, 1TB SSD(C), 2TB SSD(D)

Quote Originally Posted by PC_Ace View Post
    Orpheus2000 - The crucial PC component for rendering Trainz graphics is your Graphics Processing Unit (GPU).
    You have not provided the spec for your GPU. Does this mean that you are relying on the relatively weak integrated GPU on the i7-9700k processor?
    The T:ANE and TRS19 simulations need a grunty (typically discrete) GPU to generate smooth frame-rates and fast-rendering video 'pages'.
    Even a reasonably competent CPU like yours cannot compensate for the need for the much faster parallel processing required/ produced by GPUs.
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1600 Ti

I have tried reducing all performance ratings to the minimum, but this mad the game no smoother.

I have deleted all but two consists, since I normally run this solely under AI with 40 trains running. Again, it made no difference.

I then ran a session of “Cornish Mainline and Branches” – perfectly smooth – as was a minimal route session I created from scratch.
    So far, then, it seems to me that my layout has too much detail in it, although the “Cornish Mainline” is, I think, more detailed, or, and most likely, my layout is crap.

United States of America, Massachusetts, Haverhill

Quote Originally Posted by Orpheus2000 View Post
    I have tried reducing all performance ratings to the minimum, but this mad the game no smoother.

I have deleted all but two consists, since I normally run this solely under AI with 40 trains running. Again, it made no difference.

I then ran a session of “Cornish Mainline and Branches” – perfectly smooth – as was a minimal route session I created from scratch.
    So far, then, it seems to me that my layout has too much detail in it, although the “Cornish Mainline” is, I think, more detailed, or, and most likely, my layout is crap.
    The Cornish Mainline has a lot of splines and lots of other close detail objects that bog things down a lot. There's something to try though that I think might work.

Within the settings in TRS2019 its self, not at the Launcher under performance, is the settings for tree details and draw distance, etc.

Either at the main menu, where the big selection buttons are for Driver / Surveyor, My Collection, etc., or within your route, click on the very top of your screen in the left corner. The 3-bars will show up.

Click on the 3-bars

Click on settings

Click on Video Settings.

Ensure Process Objects Behind Camera is checked

Set your draw distance to about 6000m, or 8000m

Change your Scenery Detail to High
    Tree Detail to High
    Post Processing to High

These are the same settings I use and I found this really, really helps with performance. They're not at the highest, although that's possible with open routes, or if there are mountains, but for routes such as the Cornish Mainline with lots of close up details it's not worth the effort work for video card to do because there's so much detail going on it's pushing your video card constantly causing lugging and stutters.

If you know how to get to the menu already, don't take offense to me putting the steps here. This is to help others who search for the same information.
    John
    Trainz User Since: 12-2003
    Trainz User ID: 124863
    TRS2019/Trainz-PLUS: 114800
    TRS22 Beta tester