CTD twice in 10 minutes.

Richarddx7

I'm working in Surveyor mode on my project, and the program has crashed to the desktop twice in ten minutes. This hasn't happened before and I've had the program since late July this year. Anyway, this is a very bad trend indeed and I find this level of instability totally unacceptable, especially considering the amount of time I've already put in and will put in to this project. Now I'm starting to lose motivation because I've had an surfeit of computer nonsense and problems of all sorts today already. How do I find out what is causing these crashes please? If it continues I am going to delete the project and just to hell with it. I haven't got motivation if I'm going to be getting CTD's literally minutes apart. This is a months long project, not interested in silly nonsense of this sort.

Computer specs:

I7 6700K 4ghz
16mb RAM
GTI 1070 graphics.
Windows 10 (which is garbage)

Last edited:
Given it's an intense and complex game, you'll need to expect this from time to time, as it happens to all of us. First you need to backup your project regularly to CDP and/or store a copy elsewhere. This is practical and necessary. Second, after a crash have you done a DBR (database repair) as again, this is essential and may well fix any problems as it usually does. If you download a lot of content it's also wise to do a DBR afterwards as well which helps clean out the games cache etc..

I've ran almost every release after TRS-19 Early Release and every beta release since Plus became available and I can honestly say I can't remember more than 4-5 CTD's that may have happened only once or twice in any given release. In fact, I don't seem to have nearly the issues others do. I don't consider that I do anything special other than try to keep a "clean db."

I admit that I like to save releases so when a public release comes around my normal MO is just to download a fresh copy of the release and redownload N3v content and reinstall 3rd party and personal content. I think perhaps this fresh install of app and content with every public release is the key. But I'm only guessing.

Perhaps I'm lucky. Perhaps I'm too simple to "mess things up." I'm not sure. I do keep 3rd party content sorted well in folders to help with re-installs and when I go on kuid hunts for missing assets I keep those in folders with notations with which route/session they are for. So yes, there is some work needed to make new installs with 3td party stuff go smoothly.

A CTD is definitely an uncommon occurrence. Generally the reason for it is an asset of some description causing the crash.
Does it occur on all routes? Try a new route on a blank baseboard to test. Is it random or does it happen when doing a particular thing? Is it repeatable? Have you checked in Content Manager to see if any assets are open for edit or faulty? Have you installed any assets recently? A good place to start looking.
You could also check for out of date assets in CM and delete any obsolete assets and run a database repair.

Cheers Graeme

Build number is: 111951

I'm running a data base repair now. I always keep regular backups of stuff including this largely because I've had data loss from crashes before. I have recently downloaded quite a few routes from the DLS store, so something there could be causing it? Each time this crash happened I was connecting tracks together to create junctions and also deleting pieces of track, and both times in the same area of my custom route, which is quite big.

Last edited:
Build number 111951 has been around for a while now and this is the first time you have had a CTD? That, to me, indicates that something else, something recent, may be the culprit. A newly installed faulty asset, system driver or even a Windows update would be on my list of suspects. Or even a hardware fault?

The majority of CTDs are caused by content issues. The problem could be with a bad or corrupted script, or a corrupted mesh or texture else. Outside of that, TRS2019 is relatively stable. With constant crashes, the best thing to do is a EDR by pressing the CTRL-key at the same time as selected Repair Database in the Developer menu on the Launcher.

Once you've run the EDR, check for faulty assets.
Revert to original anything that's open, and then check for any content updates to bring everything up-to-date.

Once everything is cleaned up, you need to determine who is causing the crash. This is done through the process of elimination by disabling non-built-in and testing. If everything works, the process is repeated after enabling more assets. Eventually, the culprit assets will be enabled and cause the crash again. At that point, delete the asset and test again. If everything works, enable the rest of the assets and redownload the culprit and test again. If all is fine, the carry on.

If TRS2019 continues to crash, then it could be the route its self. It happens... The only answer then is to try a backup.

Outside of TRS2019 crashing, does this occur with other programs? If so, this could be a Windows issue, or a hardware issue such as a faulty or corrupted hard disk, bad RAM, or even something else.

I rarely have a CTD but found out
if working on a route and it crashes, after restarting Trainz, directly go edit that same route again
gives you a popup, that says you have unsaved edits, then there are 2 choices accept or ignore (not the exact words)

if you do a dbase repair, you probably loose all the last edits, so always first try, directly edit that route again.

Last edited:
Well what a nonsense this is.

I'm doing the full EDR pressing the Ctrl key. Working on track replacement again today, two CTD's again doing exactly the same thing. When clicking on track to delete it at a major junction area, during the moment I click to delete or add a bit of track there is a brief freeze then the CTD.

Wondering what the track is, and have you used it before? May not be the culprit but worth looking into. Otherwise look closely at whatever you downloaded recently, as there may be something there causing the issue.

The track I was using was this:

SAP Protrack U.S 132LB SG, FB
US Mainline (2m)

These two were being used at one of the stations I was connecting them to.

1 track fabricated - this was the track at another station where the crash happened.

Used them all before with no problems.

Last edited:
Just today the program has started freezing in driver mode. It will at first run, but then lag, and finally completely freeze up and has to be shut down. No idea why. Not even done anything different before this started happening.

edit, well that was a particular train that was making that happen for some reason but i'm keeping a close eye on this program.

Last edited:
If you crashed like that, I would run a database repair in addition to the one that should have occurred automatically.

I would also replace that consist with something else and test again. If the program doesn't crash then there's something inherently wrong with the consist such as a faulty mesh, or perhaps some script that is used that is causing the crash. If you want, you can then delete and reinstall or download that locomotive again and try. It could very simply be something is corrupted in the local data.

Back