Trainz Railroad Simulator 2019 Running on 37 FPS

Hectorin

Hello everyone, I just downloaded Trainz Railroad Simulator 2019, the new computer I got this month.
and yes the computer I got this month is a NVIDIA 1660 GTX TI, and I was wondering does it run well with this video card I have now, so that way I can run 60 Frames Per Second like other Trainz users.
If so thanks for your help :)

Last edited:
hiya hectorin,
I use the same graphics card here for Trainz and very content with it
fps changes a lot during playing, at start it is a bit slow because trainz then loads a lot, then rapidly it increases
but after an hour or so, it slows again, not because of the card. But the way data gets clogged.
have almost all on ultra here, but physX off
enjoy Trainz

What kind of data?

All kinds of data. There's tons of information running in the background to make everything work such as information about signal state, AI position, AI interaction with each other, with the user-driven consists, with signals, switches, and interactive industries. Then there's user-driven consists interacting with signals, switches, AI drivers as in opposite of above, and interactive industries, driver controls, and everything else in between. Now on top of all that, there's all kinds of status messages about portals, AI trains coming and going from them, the interactions of interactive industries, crossings, lights, time of day, seasons, and a lot of of stuff related to triggers, track marks, direction markers and now interlocking towers.

As time goes on, things get bogged down due to various reasons. TRS209 and other Trainz versions, is not the only program that suffers from this. If you play any other games, or even use Excel, even Windows for that matter, get bogged down and need a refresh or restart.

All and all it's very complex and we're quite surprised it works even as well as it does at times. See my post regarding the AI in the Surveyor's forum.

Regarding your issue on hand, check that your video card isn't locked to any particular refresh rate. I recommend trying none.

There are a couple of other settings that I found that helps. It means lowering the settings a bit, but this will give you the overhead needed to make things work slowly.

Try this in the performance tab. You will need to restart, meaning close the Launcher too.

Shadow quality: High
Main shadow resolution : 4096
Shadow quality: Ultra
Texture detail: Normal
Post processing: High
Water quality: High
Detail scenery: Clutter + TurfFX
Antialiasing: 8x
Detail update rate: Ultra

Uncheck PhsyX <---- Very important!
Process objects behind camera - check.

In Trainz its self, go to the settings in there by clicking on the three horizontal bars in the upper left corner.
Click on Video Settings.

Maximum Draw Distance: Set this to about 8000m (This can vary depending upon the amount of content and complexity of the route. For routes with tons of content, but are small, set the draw distance to be shorter because there's no reason to set the distance this far for a model railroad or a complex switching route. You'll need to play with this.

Process Objects Behind Camera should be checked.
Scenery Detail: High
Tree Detail: High.
Post Processing: High

With any of these settings, I recommend playing around with them to find what works and what does not. These settings are the ones I use for my old GTX1080 TI.

I get best FPS with Vetical Sync set to none. There is also very little to no ripping/tearing. I don't have the best system (average?) .. I run shadows either off or 4096, low res shadows just don't work for me. Rarely do I run Shader other than low. In short, a lot of experimentation might be needed to find best settings for your flavor and hardware.

These are the settings I use atm. with my NVIDIA 1660 GTX TI in TRS19sp4 and build 100240

I run 3 big routes often on 1920x1024 (sometimes 2x that on 2 27" monitors)
NederlandWest7 (my own) 462mb, 6k+baseboards, 45 trains running
UMR2021 (neilsmith) 523mb. 20+ trains
London to Lille (anathoth71) 332mb, 30+ trains

all 3 including my Set-Driver-Condition-Rule and trackviewrule (klaus malorney)
as main interface

Back