TRS19 Service Pack 4 Now Live

Could you add a select case and then parse based on the string type?

Hi Christopher, thanks for your interest - yes something like that to contend with the new alphabetical order and the new flag. The issue is that RMAN was programmed based on identifying the generational releases of Trainz (i.e. TS12, TANE, TRS19), so now I will have to deeper dive to identify a second case for TRS19 which does not look like its any predecessor. Never before has Trainz did such a huge status flag revision on the mere occasion of a late service pack release.

Concrete_Bob - Suggest look at available physical disk space for the installation process to complete (Needs roughly twice the actual file sizes involved due to temporary caching and processing operations) as well as having sufficient Windows virtual memory (i.e. page-file) space allocated on one or more of your hard disk drives.
Personally I've had zero issues with any of my Trainz patch updates/ installations since early T:ANE beta days (whilst always making a complete backup of previous installations prior to patching, just in case).

Steam users have the option of turning off auto-updates. You can choose when to update.

That is correct but you are then presented with an "Update" button instead of a "Play" button if the program is started from within the Steam interface. In order to bypass this you must use the TRS19 icon on the Desktop if you allowed it to be created or go to the Steam group under the Start menu and choose it there to run it.

William

Concrete_Bob - Suggest look at available physical disk space for the installation process to complete (Needs roughly twice the actual file sizes involved due to temporary caching and processing operations) as well as having sufficient Windows virtual memory (i.e. page-file) space allocated on one or more of your hard disk drives.
Personally I've had zero issues with any of my Trainz patch updates/ installations since early T:ANE beta days (whilst always making a complete backup of previous installations prior to patching, just in case).

Thanks for keeping it simple. Currently have 400 GB free in my C drive. Virtual memory is at default setting 2432MB. Any further advice appreciated. I'm a 'plug and play' user, trying to fix a product with a 4th update in 2 years and then being left to try and salvage it when it goes tits up is not something I have encountered with other software.

Concrete_Bob - How big is your total TRS19 installation (including UserData folder contents)?
The default amount of virtual memory recommended by Microsoft Windows OS has been found to be woefully inadequate for certain Trainz processes (like installations, Extended Database Repairs and especially merging routes, for example) so I recommend increasing the amount allocated to a multiple (say 3 times) the installed size of your physical DDRAM. So, let's say you're running 16Gb RAM on your motherboard, then the amount of disk space allocated to page file/ virtual memory use should be 3x16=48Gb.
This allows extra 'headroom' in the event that a process consumes more memory than the physical RAM available to it for completion of the operation.
Inadequate amounts of combined RAM/ Virtual memory can lead to a 'hung' computer or worse, system crashes, when attempting to merge large routes, for example. Experience has shown that increasing your page-file size as suggested above will typically allow the operation/ process to complete without CTDs or other issues. (Still requires patience, however!).
Good luck with this quest!

Regarding Concrete_Bob's issue, the event viewer's windows and application logs at the time of the installation, as I said in post #300, could likely eliminate speculation as to what happened. This would even tell us if PC_Ace's inadequate virtual memory is the culprit, if the hard drive has a fault, if there is bad memory, or if it was purely an "application hang" without any hardware issue, among other possibilities.

Also since that post, I haven't heard the download MD5 hash was verified with N3Vs published value. N3V posts it intentionally on MyTrainz so that corrupt downloads are avoided, a basic troubleshooting step that has not been reviewed yet. One can certify the N3V download at a command line prompt with: [FONT=var(--ff-mono)]CertUtil -hashfile Filepath [/FONT]MD5.

Last edited:
I have a problem, when I try to update version 111951 to 114800, Plus-version. While patching, there is a message, that stops the update-proces. Have a look fot that message at https://www.dropbox.com/s/juos8zhfww4nh1e/2021-10-21_15-25-37.png?dl=0 .
I have deleted the file, that is mentioned in the message, and restart the update. That gives the same message, but with an other file. I repeated this proces about 10 times, but still the same. Has someone a solution for this ?

Jos

Try running a full Data base repair, that's holding down control while clicking Rebuild Database before patching, it may fix the problem but no guarantees.

I have a problem, when I try to update version 111951 to 114800, Plus-version. While patching, there is a message, that stops the update-proces. Have a look fot that message at https://www.dropbox.com/s/juos8zhfww4nh1e/2021-10-21_15-25-37.png?dl=0 .
I have deleted the file, that is mentioned in the message, and restart the update. That gives the same message, but with an other file. I repeated this proces about 10 times, but still the same. Has someone a solution for this ?

Jos

Its best to install SP4 into a new empty folder. I got the same message so the term "patch" may be a misnomer.

As revealed in the SP2 release post analogous to this one for SP4, passing QA checks for an SP installer are limited to making a workable clean install of SP without regard for any pre-existing conditions that users may have. Under such criteria, it is not difficult to imagine the installer was tested patching a pre-existing "pristine" SP3 folder, and it was likely that the installer passed QA if installed correctly into a barren folder. Thus, the "Patch" "Quitting" after encountering merely a file overwrite situation, like you and I encountered, seems plausible.

To preserve your personal CM filters and picklists from your current TRS19 version to a new TRS19SP4 program folder, you have to transfer/manually overwrite your pre-existing "asset.tdx" file over the one in the new folder and then perform an EDBR.

Last edited:
The other possibility is the antivirus program is having a hissy fit and stomping on the updater as it's copying files.

Regarding Concrete_Bob's issue, the event viewer's windows and application logs at the time of the installation, as I said in post #300, could likely eliminate speculation as to what happened. This would even tell us if PC_Ace's inadequate virtual memory is the culprit, if the hard drive has a fault, if there is bad memory, or if it was purely an "application hang" without any hardware issue, among other possibilities.

Also since that post, I haven't heard the download MD5 hash was verified with N3Vs published value. N3V posts it intentionally on MyTrainz so that corrupt downloads are avoided, a basic troubleshooting step that has not been reviewed yet. One can certify the N3V download at a command line prompt with: [FONT=var(--ff-mono)]CertUtil -hashfile Filepath [/FONT]MD5.

I'd love to respond to your suggestions but they may as well be written in Chinese.

Trains is marketed as a railway simulator, not a computer geek equivalent of an escape room. While I am sure that intentions are good, and appreciate them, I am here to lay track and drive trains, not to try and decode endless lines of techspeak to find out why this particular game causes more grief than any of the other programs on my computer. It makes no sense to me that the entire game loaded, ran, and worked perfectly before this 'upgrade' SP4, but now crashes when I try to load it.

Last edited:
Hi Bob. Firstly, are you on a Mac? If so, we're trying to track down an issue with some Macs.

Next, the only cause we've found so far is a corrupted database (but we haven't worked out how it gets corrupted. You can easily bypass your db by renaming your current local data folder then starting Trainz. This will create new folder and things should start immediately.

As to why - software is complex, and Trainz has 500,000 assets made by 25,000 different people over 20years. One line of code in a script written in 2004 is enough to cause this sort of issue (and no, you can't just write a bit of code that says "if you hit something unexpected, exit gracefully and provide a report of what went wrong").

As mentioned elsewhere, you can reinstall SP3, but it is quite possibly that your issue will still be around when the next update comes unless we can track down the problem.

You can also try sending your assets.tdx file (or a link to it) using the bug report form and we can take a look - it may show something up. Find this in your local data folder.

Last edited:

Thanks for your continued support. Used brute force to solve the problem, observed that database build failed exclusively while checking for faulty assets. Deleted game and DLC completely, reinstated with all patches, increased virtual memory as suggested, and ran the initial database rebuild with all other programs and internet connection shut down. Will be fun restocking my DLC and building a new route from scratch. Any DLC with faulty or missing assets will be culled on sight in future. Cheers.

Hi Bob. Firstly, are you on a Mac? If so, we're trying to track down an issue with some Macs.

Next, the only cause we've found so far is a corrupted database (but we haven't worked out how it gets corrupted. You can easily bypass your db by renaming your current local data folder then starting Trainz. This will create new folder and things should start immediately.

As to why - software is complex, and Trainz has 500,000 assets made by 25,000 different people over 20years. One line of code in a script written in 2004 is enough to cause this sort of issue (and no, you can't just write a bit of code that says "if you hit something unexpected, exit gracefully and provide a report of what went wrong").

As mentioned elsewhere, you can reinstall SP3, but it is quite possibly that your issue will still be around when the next update comes unless we can track down the problem.

You can also try sending your assets.tdx file (or a link to it) using the bug report form and we can take a look - it may show something up. Find this in your local data folder.

Thanks Tony, have rebuilt from the ground up, and increased virtual memory. Relaunched with latest patch with no other programs running, and that got me over the line. time to rebuild my DLC files. Will focus on highest build versions where possible and cull out any faulty assets that come my way.

I'd love to respond to your suggestions but they may as well be written in Chinese.

Trains is marketed as a railway simulator, not a computer geek equivalent of an escape room. While I am sure that intentions are good, and appreciate them, I am here to lay track and drive trains, not to try and decode endless lines of techspeak to find out why this particular game causes more grief than any of the other programs on my computer.

Hi Concrete, lets just say its debatable as to whether something available on the windows start menu is particularly "geeky". And thank you for differentiating that "lay track and drive trains" in Trainz is a non-geeky activity.

It makes no sense to me that the entire game loaded, ran, and worked perfectly before this 'upgrade' SP4, but now crashes when I try to load it.

Likely because you are not a "geek". Likewise, can we agree non-geeks may not be in a good position to cast dispersions on a SP4 download that is proven to be working?

I only went "techspeak" in post 300, out of the disagreement when my "unencoded" and "finite" English defense of the SP4 software install could not have locked up your PC, was met with "It's difficult to see any other root cause...(other than SP4)", when in fact there was likely at least two other root cause that coincide with your experience, as now demonstrated by your later posts where the same software is not locking up your PC. Nor was any other PC on this thread locked up on install. Your original lockup was a system-based failure or a corrupt download.

Last edited:
Try running a full Data base repair, that's holding down control while clicking Rebuild Database before patching, it may fix the problem but no guarantees.

Thank you, Malc, but without result. Same error message. I will try reinstall.

Jos

The other possibility is the antivirus program is having a hissy fit and stomping on the updater as it's copying files.

Thank you, John, but that didn't work either. I am downloading Trs19sp4, to reinstall, using the tips from deneban.

Jos

Concrete_Bob - Glad that you managed to get a better outcome upon reinstallation. From now on, good database maintenance habits should keep you out of trouble. Kia kaha!

Thanks again.....Odd thing is, I actually failed to delete the DLC. Previous game versions have stored all game content in C/ Program Files /Auran..Obviously the equivalent file is now NV3 Games, but apparently killing the TRS19 folder no longer kills the custom content, is DLC now kept at a separate location?
First time since upgrading to TRS19 that I have attempted the 'crash and burn' solution, has been a steep and frustrating learning curve. I guess the 'virtual memory' fix was the solution, can be frustrating when a supposedly simple Click-to-upgrade stalls the whole PC and renders a previously serviceable game inaccessible. Diagnostics and OS tweaks are not really something that I want to dedicate my leisure time to.:)

Back