TRS19 Service Pack 4 Now Live

@jordan412 Doesn't sound like a TRS19 problem per se, but look through the backups folder adjacent to the editing folder, TRS19 seems to save stuff there every few minutes. The windows event viewer/Windows Logs/System make give more insight as to what happened. I've seen those errors from Windows when there's hard drive issues. Sounds like a chkdsk is in order.

I can't access my external hard drive that TRS19 is on also either. I get an error whenever I click on it that says:
'E:\ is not accessible. The request failed due to a fatal device hardware error.'
EDIT: just googled chkdsk, and did a chkdsk on the E:\ and got this:
'The type of the file system is RAW.
CHKDSK is not available for RAW drives.'
I think I'll go play Planet Coaster to ease my anger at TRS19.

Last edited:
right click the windows icon on taskbar
select Window power shell (admin) or Command prompt(admin)
type E: ,give enter
type chkdsk ,give enter
to get help chkdsk /?

Here is something funny I noticed:

If you copy and paste a section with water on it, Trainz gives you cryptic messages:

test1.jpg

The bigger the section is, the more "text" it returns:

test2.jpg

Aside of that, most things work for me. I still have the issue after doing edits in Surveyor and going into Quick Drive it activates "Edit Trains" now every time, its not random anymore.

I can't access my external hard drive that TRS19 is on also either. I get an error whenever I click on it that says:
'E:\ is not accessible. The request failed due to a fatal device hardware error.'
EDIT: just googled chkdsk, and did a chkdsk on the E:\ and got this:
'The type of the file system is RAW.
CHKDSK is not available for RAW drives.'
I think I'll go play Planet Coaster to ease my anger at TRS19.

Not good, if the filesystem is RAW you've lost the filesystem and the drive is in a coma. Usually they don't drop fully dead instantaneously, and you have a period where there is hope you can resuscitate it and extract some data.

Still, don't blame it on N3V/TRS19.

First, in the device manager, in the drive's properties, change the disk's policy to "Quick Removal". Also do a start button search for the indexing control panel setting, make sure it is not subject to indexing. Same thing for file history. You want to minimize drive activity or heat for a) thru d) below. Note that chkdsk does not work on exFAT filesystem Seagate drives from the factory unless you made them NTSC.

Things you can try:
a) change out the connecting cable and change the USB port on the PC. Older drives have a detachable SATA interface you can remove and replace with another SATA interface from that era.
b) try dismounting and remounting several times to see if the drive comes up with its filesystem (could be a timing problem only with the internal interface and you might get lucky. If so do the chkdsk immediately)
c) try an app designed to recover from the raw state
d) place the drive in the freezer for 4 hours and bring it back to the PC in an ice pack (drainable ice pack) and see if comes up as NTSC or whatever the filesystem was supposed to be. Try to copy the critical files off of it. Be careful using chkdsk in this scenario, you don't want the drive to heat up and stop working while chkdsk is not completed yet, you'll lose everything. If you can run the drive cable into a freezer and close its door, do it that way.
e) last resort - break open the outer casing to see if has a standard SATA interface plug that can plug into the PC as an internal drive. See if the drive works using the PC's controller.
f) go to Planet Coaster

Usually the drive is unreliable once you remove what you can, go buy another one.

@Vern - Win 10 would have told him if it were a permission problem verses write failure

Last edited:
Is there any way to download the installer? I have done this in the past, although admittedly it is getting impossible to go back, as the asset versions change with the patches anymore.

Post #166: Game window freezing waiting for Content Manager windows to revalidate.

Can somebody please try opening a bunch of SP4 CM windows with various filters and get back me as to whether that causes the main window to temporarily frost/freeze, as I described below, when the "View Sessions" button is clicked.

Did a reinstall and an EBDR, but still the Simulation/Game window seems to be waiting for any open Content Manager windows to revalidate and rewrite themselves. The more CM windows open, the worse the game freeze effect. Just selecting the "View Sessions" button in the game window immediately turns program flow control over to the Content Manager windows, and I have to wait until they update themselves. sometimes frosting the waiting game window. Is this just my installation only or does that happen to anyone else? Is there a setting to pre-empt it? I don't remember the other SPs doing this, at least not so intensely.

Can somebody please try opening a bunch of SP4 CM windows with various filters and get back me as to whether that causes the main window to temporarily frost/freeze, as I described below, when the "View Sessions" button is clicked.

I opened 7 CM windows and my "View Sessions" appears right away. I have filter to: Type: "Sessions"; Source set in "Installed"; Gameplay "All" -

Sound like something is cacheing perhaps. When I add a route and go to sessions it sometimes takes a while for sessions to appear. I assume it is cacheing..

Not good, if the filesystem is RAW you've lost the filesystem and the drive is in a coma. Usually they don't drop fully dead instantaneously, and you have a period where there is hope you can resuscitate it and extract some data.

Still, don't blame it on N3V/TRS19.

First, in the device manager, in the drive's properties, change the disk's policy to "Quick Removal". Also do a start button search for the indexing control panel setting, make sure it is not subject to indexing. Same thing for file history. You want to minimize drive activity or heat for a) thru d) below. Note that chkdsk does not work on exFAT filesystem Seagate drives from the factory unless you made them NTSC.

Things you can try:
a) change out the connecting cable and change the USB port on the PC. Older drives have a detachable SATA interface you can remove and replace with another SATA interface from that era.
b) try dismounting and remounting several times to see if the drive comes up with its filesystem (could be a timing problem only with the internal interface and you might get lucky. If so do the chkdsk immediately)
c) try an app designed to recover from the raw state
d) place the drive in the freezer for 4 hours and bring it back to the PC in an ice pack (drainable ice pack) and see if comes up as NTSC or whatever the filesystem was supposed to be. Try to copy the critical files off of it. Be careful using chkdsk in this scenario, you don't want the drive to heat up and stop working while chkdsk is not completed yet, you'll lose everything. If you can run the drive cable into a freezer and close its door, do it that way.
e) last resort - break open the outer casing to see if has a standard SATA interface plug that can plug into the PC as an internal drive. See if the drive works using the PC's controller.
f) go to Planet Coaster

Usually the drive is unreliable once you remove what you can, go buy another one.

@Vern - Win 10 would have told him if it were a permission problem verses write failure

The Disk's policy is set for Quick Removal. It's also not subject to indexing. I also believe something happened to my C drive because it wants me to install Planet Coaster, which I've already installed and played many times, and says that there's no room on the C drive for it, so I did a chkdsk on the C drive, which meant I had to restart my computer and wait on it to do its thing. The external drive is a WD Elements 25A3 USB device with 5TB of space on it.

Last edited:
I opened 7 CM windows and my "View Sessions" appears right away. I have filter to: Type: "Sessions"; Source set in "Installed"; Gameplay "All" -

Sound like something is cacheing perhaps. When I add a route and go to sessions it sometimes takes a while for sessions to appear. I assume it is cacheing..

Thanks, you helped me solve the problem by mentioning the word "Caching". I deleted my userdata/cache folder and then did an EDBR and it solved the problem. Thanks again.

Well I've got a completely different issue. Every time I start TRS19 Platinum, The CONTENT STORE button is yellow and flashing, but there is nothing to be installed or updated. When I close the store and return to the launcher, it is back to normal. BDRs & EDBRs have no effect. Anyone got any ideas as to what I should try next?

Each time we update, we get reports of builds "breaking their content". Usually this can be traced back to people not following our recommended procedures

While that may be true in many cases, clearly this last patch is not on the user, but the developers and managers who order this released.

So what's the deal here? For the sake of trust/customer retention, will a statement to that effect be forthcoming or is this just all user fault in your orbit?

If there is a problem we can fix, we'll fix it. My point is that most of the issues are isolated to one person. Jordan has a faulty drive, deneban had to delete his cache and all was well etc.

dleblanc, in your case, as far as I know you're the only one reporting the issue.
"Every time I run surveyor, most of my rolling stock and locos are backwards and lower. No matter how I re-rotate them and save the session, the next time I load surveyor they are backwards again."

Can you try the following:
1. Create a new route
2. Place two parallel tracks
3. Place a loco on each track, and rotate one so they face opposite directions.
4. Place a signal at the front of the loco (so you know which was was the front)
5. Switch to driver
Let us know if that works (it does here).

If so, then we need to figure out why your sessions are not behaving in the same manner. Please provide all the steps you are using to make the change and save the change and load into Driver.

Re: the SP3 download. The old one remains active so you can always redownload.
https://dl1.n3vgames.com/Installers/TRS19/SP3/TRS19-SP3-Offline-Installer-111951.zip

(The problem with reverting is that you're unlikely to get your issue resolved if you're the only one with the problem.)

Re the 2D consist list, this has long since served it's purpose. It's not been retired completely, but it's not supported currently.
1. The 2D images come in 100 different varieties, mostly ugly and sometimes identical images were used for different cars
2. The scrolling was broken by another bug fix
3. Scrolling was painful anyway for a consist of any length
4. There was a delay in loading all the ugly images (so it made placing a consist slower)
5. You couldn't tell if your consist would fit on the track

So given you can place the consist in the world, see all the cars in the world, see if it fits on your track, and Undo if picked the wrong consist, we've decided to remove the 2D version for now at least.

SP4 made two of my bogeys on the DLS bad, I have now uploaded new ones, bogeys are ALCO/MLW C630. Toke 4 days to fix!

Regarding the identified buildings in the Hinton route which have changed rotation between SP3 and SP4.........I have issued 3 updates which should be available on the DLS in approx 36 hrs.

Whether this issue was caused by the SP or from my previous updates remains an unknown.

I don't have SP3 installed so can't test in that version.......I now only have SP4 installed. If anybody who has SP3 installed with the Hinton route can check to see if it causes issues there.

Regards
Peter

Just to confirm what three buildings you mean - I expect these are Motor Car House kuid2:453099:100247:1, Arch Brick Stone House kuid:453099:100385, and Assistant Yard Masters Office kuid2:453099:100359:2

I also have a problem with Hinton Sand Bunker kuid2:453099:100000004:5. When I move my location (either with a train or in roaming, even in surveyor) anywhere near this building I hear a loud hissing noise. This is the sound file coal_mine_ambient.wav repeated rapidly and at a high level. I don't recall this from earlier versions of TRS19.

I will download those three rotated buildings when I can. The sand bunker is *not* rotated.

Thanks for quick action on the rotated buildings.

If there is a problem we can fix, we'll fix it. My point is that most of the issues are isolated to one person. Jordan has a faulty drive, deneban had to delete his cache and all was well etc.

dleblanc, in your case, as far as I know you're the only one reporting the issue.
"Every time I run surveyor, most of my rolling stock and locos are backwards and lower. No matter how I re-rotate them and save the session, the next time I load surveyor they are backwards again."

Can you try the following:
1. Create a new route
2. Place two parallel tracks
3. Place a loco on each track, and rotate one so they face opposite directions.
4. Place a signal at the front of the loco (so you know which was was the front)
5. Switch to driver
Let us know if that works (it does here).

Then I'll question whether you've been paying attention... no less the thread where we are discussing the issue now. https://forums.auran.com/trainz/sho...Service-Pack-4-Now-Live&p=1893284#post1893284 seems to be a 90 degree issues (as opposed to 180) then : https://forums.auran.com/trainz/sho...Service-Pack-4-Now-Live&p=1893391#post1893391 and https://forums.auran.com/trainz/sho...Service-Pack-4-Now-Live&p=1893395#post1893395 which states this as a previously known issue.

I've done all you've suggested. New session. Place two locos back to back. Save session. Reload Surveyor, the locos will be nose to nose, irrespective of the direction of the consist. Re-rotation of the assets will lift slightly then turn. Save. Run driver, the assets look correct, but any save in Driver, cause the the train to not move the next time Driver, even though there is a driver interface, sound and smoke. It's stuck. Likely because the asset is approx .2 meters lower than placed. Rotating the asset shows a slight rise on the turn.

Parallel tracks: yes, same issue in same direction, mirrored issue in the opposite direction. Signal, switch or none. Same issue. Trailing units want to reorient in the direction, while the lead unit does the exact opposite, yet still drives forward.

Every time I reload Surveyor, several (not all) (builtin or downloaded) assets re-rotate themselves in the direction of the consist, except the lead unit, which will be placed backwards to the direction. If they are corrected and saved in Surveyor, I get one run of the session in Driver, but if saved thereafter (in driver) the train will not move, even though the driver interface is present, sound and smoke doing what they should. I've tried using different assets to replicate the issue. Again, some downloaded and some built in. Some don't, but most fail.

Starting a new session and new build for a single use in Driver is neither a good, nor pleasant workaround. I'm a dev on other platforms, currently the lead on one. I don't have access to your leaky code for debugging purposes so I'm hamstrung by limitations or half measures.

I've been doing the Canadian Pacific Christmas Train, but development of that project is halted, if not ended. Merry Christmas.

Last edited:
I'm not trying to say we're not at fault here. I'm saying that we need to have a demonstration of the issue with sufficient information provided so that we can reproduce the issue and fix it.

If some assets are working then this sounds like a content issue - still something we need to look into to determine whether it is a content or code fix required. Gawpo's buildings for example were updated by him and rotated 90 degrees. Not involvement from us on that one. Wheelslip, we've identified a 10% variation in animation speed on some assets. If you have a worse case, please advise the KUIDs so we can investigate further.

Every time I reload Surveyor, several (not all) (builtin or downloaded) assets re-rotate themselves in the direction of the consist, except the lead unit, which will be placed backwards to the direction.
>>
Please provide KUIDs for example assets with this behaviour - ideally your test route with the dependencies from the DLS.

I get one run of the session in Driver, but if saved thereafter (in driver) the train will not move, even though the driver interface is present, sound and smoke doing what they should.
>>
If you provide the test route above, also provide the Saved session as well.

The first image is how I save the session. The cabs point outwards in either direction and the B-units forward.

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

In driver mode, everything will be fine. Direction, rotation, control. No issue. However revisiting Surveyor or Driver, it looks like this:

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

This the Kickstarter County Route. Brand new session. No other assets in the session other than these.

The only workaround is to edit the session, rotate some or all the assets, save then drive, bit don't load it twice (saved or not) or it defaults back to this nonsense AND the train won't move at all. The train direction is wrong, the locos push, backwards. Even if I wanted to change directions in driver, you can't because the leading cab faces the wrong way. It's hard to see in the screenshots, but each of the assets are a bit lower than they should be. When you click rotate, they pop up a little first (.2 m or so), then it takes a second click to actually make it rotate.

There's just no way I did something inadvertent to get this result, especially when I had a fresh install of Win10 and Trainz last month. I downloads a steam loco last night. It ran perfect this morning. I ran the patch this afternoon, then this. There appeared to be no issues applying the patch. The download was quick, installed as expected and the database rebuilt itself, twice. A bit slower than normal, but not long, mere minutes. Everything started without warnings, crashes or long delay.

It's unusable. Debugging this is way more trouble than it's worth... which is basically nothing it's current state. No less the fantasy of a fix any time soon (or even at all). I'm preparing to roll back to SP3, so at the very least I can finish the Christmas Train assets and video.

I have exactly the same issue on my UK layouts with steam engines. The loco and tender are reversed when going from driver to Surveyor. They reverse themselves back again when re-entering driver mode. However some locos, a diesel shunter , that I set up in surveyor mode with a 'changed direction' in order to facilitate the couple commands and drive DCC at a set speed in a certain direction, change themselves to the default setting when entering Driver mode. This screws up the commands I give the loco! Also have had an issue with locos on aa turntable rotating themselves 180 degrees while being turned on the turntable thus when the move turntable command is complete, the engine has effectively not been turned at all. Discovered that this happens on the first time the turntable is used so now I have to begin the session by making the turntable do one change with no loco on, then all appears well for the rests of the session. There are obviously some issues here.

So Looking at some earlier advice from Mr Hilliam, I have just set up 4 parallel test tracks with the same loco that was having problems in one of my routes, a GWR Castle 'Defiant'. The tracks were laid in both directions and the same loco was placed on each track. Two of the loco's were 'reversed' direction wise. Went into driver mode and each loco performed as it should do with respect to the driving controls. There was no visual reversing of the loco and tender in Surveyor mode as happens on my main existing routes. Went in and out of surveyor mode/driver mode and all is well. It seems you can't reproduce the issue on a new route.

Conclusion, SP4 seems to scramble existing layouts/routes in some way in relation to loco/tender direction!

Every time I start TRS19 Platinum, The CONTENT STORE button is yellow and flashing, but there is nothing to be installed or updated. When I close the store and return to the launcher, it is back to normal.

Same here since day one of the Content Store. I reported the issue but never had any response.

Back