TRS19 Service Pack 4 Now Live

Will the transparent bug of pbr textures ever be fixed? I just got 2019 and noticed that bug with the new textures when for example a road bridge meets the ground. It doesn't look right. In previous Trainz versions up to TANE SP4 this wasn't an issue. I guess using non-pbr textures around tracks, roads, etc. are the only solution for now. Can I import textures from TANE to 2019? What bugs are left to fix in SP4? The latest build is 114800, is that pretty stable right now? The lighting and shadows are better in 2019 but the pbr textures issue is bothering me. It seems like some textures hover above the ground and go through tracks like even hog textures on a route the light blue cuts through the track but if I erase the texture with grid texture it goes away. I guess getting rid of the textures like the tiger lines are another solution after you have laid your track.

The PBR texture issue is inherent in how that kind of texturing works, sadly. I've seen it in other games and programs where it works such as Armor 3 where the grass objects and trees look like they float on the surface, and in Cities: Skylines with assets suffering from a similar issue as we see in TRS2019.

The only answer to this issue is to find PBR assets and use those in place of other non-PBR, or replace the PBR textures with non-PBR kind.

The PBR texture issue is inherent in how that kind of texturing works, sadly. I've seen it in other games and programs where it works such as Armor 3 where the grass objects and trees look like they float on the surface, and in Cities: Skylines with assets suffering from a similar issue as we see in TRS2019.

The old adage, "misery loves company" has never been so true. If this is a 'feature' of PBR texturing no matter the game then the obvious solution is to go 100% to PBR or stay 100% away from BPR, no mixing, unless the trainz crew can find a magic solution. At least Trainz can't be blamed if others are similarly affected.

The unintended consequences of asking for more and more texture effects.

Except some PBR textures aren't full (ie 3D) PBR so the two types clash. There is an answer, go to settings and drop the Shader details to standard and the shadow problem is solved.

But since you've kindly summarised...

Thank you for your attention to the opinions of users! Since big updates systematically introduce new bugs, isn't it better to go for small updates? When only one group of problems is solved in an update (for example, only with bugs in the interior), it is much easier to test (solved and did not cause new problems) and can be downloaded by users, then fixing the next group of bugs (for example, with tracks). Different users are worried about different bugs, maybe switching to small patches would be preferable?

Last edited:
Thank you for your attention to the opinions of users! Since big updates systematically introduce new bugs, isn't it better to go for small updates? When only one group of problems is solved in an update (for example, only with bugs in the interior), it is much easier to test (solved and did not cause new problems) and can be downloaded by users, then fixing the next group of bugs (for example, with tracks).

Great idea in theory but it will take "forever" to work in practice. Users naturally want their "most serious problem" fixed first and they are not going to be happy when they see that their problem is so far down the list it will take months (years??) before it reached the top and is the next to be fixed. In any case, fixing one faulty issue in the program code can often lead to fixes for other issues so multiple fixes can be worked on at the same time - and yes, this can also mean multiple new problems.

You also need to consider that Trainz has to be seen to be advancing with new features to survive, not just constantly coming out with nothing but bug fixes. Remember that there is no such thing as "bug free" software so the "fixing" can literally go on forever.

My thoughts.

Wheel animation speed - update:

We've finally got to the bottom of the mysterious "my wheels are going too fast" problem. The issue appears to require a session saved in 105100 or earlier being run in SP3 (111951) or later.

The solution is to remove problem loco from the session, and replace it (with the same loco is fine). The cause of this is that certain information is saved as part of the session and the TNI physics updates now treat things slightly differently.

Please advise if this solution works for you. If not, please create a brand new session and compare it to the saved session and see if they are indeed different animation speeds.

The issue appears to require a session saved in 105100 or earlier being run in SP3 (111951) or later.

I have the issue in a session created in 114400 (both route and locos are DLCs):

route is <kuid:1854:2> VR Healesville - 1913-1920 TRS19
locos are <kuid:103475:126> VR V T2 Green, <kuid:103475:80> VR V499 Baldwin Early

Mmmmm ... I am afraid to open trainz. Tony says (above) : " For anyone having problems, the link to SP3 is available if you want to reinstall."

But that will not be useful for those of us who have the steam version, so it will update automatically if I do not run it in "offline mode"
Although I have backups that does not leave me very excited ... 111952 is working fine now to me.

Tony ty for the study done on the Wheel rotation
as expected it is in the transition to TNI
Realise that 99% of all sessions were made in older versions,
asking users to replace trains in every session is near undoable
Also some sessions can't be changed (unless cloned)
Every wrong rotating wheel, is a potential reaction from a customer, like pfff trainz is not realistic
somewhere in the new TNI there must be some code that checks the animdist set in bogeys

Please do the test Peter suggested

There is no your side our side..
gratz Chris !

Sorry, this still bugs me. There are sides to this story, that's how it works.

N3V
Creators
End Users

3 sides to me. N3V holds the engine, they make the rules based on input from N3V, Creators and the End Users. It is in N3V's best interest to make the others sides happy or the whole things a bust. Without the rules, the whole thing could bust as well. So far, it continues, so it looks like a well planned system, and it will continue.

Back in the time of dialup modems, some person figured out that the polarity of the pulsing wire could be reversed to double the bandwidth, creating a third state ie 0, 1, -1.

True Chris, I mostly typed it
to put in perspective, the bugs that n3v classifies as "content issues"
From day 2 Trainz has been a mix of auran and users, they together make Trainz what it is

Any trouble a user finds, whether caused by native code or in content created by content creators
gives the user a negative experience, in the end harming Trainz as total.

Example: you find changed behaviour in SP4 when uncoupling
whether it is a little change to native code or suddenly classified "wrong" written driver command
in the end it is matter to be taken serious and repaired.

I prefer working together not against each other

I prefer working together not against each other

Agreed.

I would also agree many problems are resolvable user issues, however when there are clearly recognized bugs this invariably leads to the default expectation of did you reboot or are your Windows Updates done etc. before even being remotely taken seriously. I was told, I was the ONLY one who had that issue by the lead vendor. (WOW, just WOW, how can this be?) Then the trolls jump on the bandwagon with their finger wagging, psychological evaluations and get a life nonsense. Just a complainer, ya know. I don't care whether it cost one dollar or a thousand dollars, breaking a product after it's purchased stinks to high heaven. It's needlessly disruptive. Yet being told one has no right to be angry or it's just a game for a measly 50 bucks by members who have 8000 + posts reeks of irony. That's not a community, IMHO.

You were obviously right, from the very first post you made us all aware of the problem
if No one else does..I say TY for not giving up !

Mmmmm ... I am afraid to open trainz. Tony says (above) : " For anyone having problems, the link to SP3 is available if you want to reinstall."

But that will not be useful for those of us who have the steam version, so it will update automatically if I do not run it in "offline mode"
Although I have backups that does not leave me very excited ... 111952 is working fine now to me.

I am in exactly the same position. Seems we are the forgotten crowd.

Regards,

John

I am in exactly the same position. Seems we are the forgotten crowd.

Regards,

John

Backup, backup. Always make a backup prior to any upgrade. Having a backup will not only ensure a that things go smoothly, but if if they don't you can always rollback to where you were prior to upgrading. Remember if you go back to SP3, anything you created, or opened and saved in SP4 will not work. It's more than just the build number that's affected by Service Packs.

As far as SP4 goes, I've been using it all along for my needs. I'm currently working on a new route that I created using TransDEM and imported the data in. This route is 25 miles long and required lots of Imagineering due to a dam flattening out a valley. The tools work fine for that. I've also merged 2 routes together and in that one I've been matching up track and textures so that there's little difference between the two parts. This worked fine as well, and the tools actually work better for the most part. The raising and lowering of assets was fixed and so was the weird track twisty-thing that occurred in SP3. Believe me, SP3 was unpredictable in many ways.

Yes, there are issues with SP4, but it's not as horrid as people are saying.

Seem to be having an issue with bulk update.
I use "in selected area" to keep the range local. I lock all other layers so they are not accidentally affected by the update. The layer with the items to change is active and unlocked. But when I select an area and click begin, I get a warning: "One or more route or session layers are locked. Items in locked layers will not be modified. Would you like to continue?"
I click Yes and nothing is changed.. I click NO and nothing is changed.
Only if I unlock all layers will the change be applied to the active layer.

Sort of defeats the safety net of locking all other layers.

Seem to be having an issue with bulk update.

I just tried your method and you are correct. It will not bulk update if there are locked layers and you have used the "selected area" method. It does work with locked layers and the "Current section only" and "Anywhere on the route"methods.

I would recommend putting in a bug report.

Back