Unable to open CDP files in Content Manager

I'm running into an issue where I need to download some assets from the Download Station for a route, but one of them refuses to, throwing up a reading error each time I try.

Nobody can even begin to give sensible help until you specify the kuid number of the asset and say which version of Trainz you are trying to put this asset into. Also the exact text of the error message would be useful to see.

Utterly amazes me how people expect help, but don't provide the most basic information. Let me say what I've said before. I (and everyone else here) aren't mind readers. Why the dickens do we have to ask for the simplest and most basic info? Seriously...

Nobody can even begin to give sensible help until you specify the kuid number of the asset and say which version of Trainz you are trying to put this asset into.

... how people expect help, but don't provide the most basic information.

Guys, I understand your frustration but if you work in IT Support you will appreciate that this is the "norm". The correct response is to calmly ask the "client" for more details to help you understand the problem. Users often get frustrated and do not know how to describe the problem they are having or leave out important details because they do not realise they are important or do not know where to look to find them. Patience Grasshoppers.

My contribution to the chaos.

MoarCrossovers

One possibility is that you are using TRS19 Platinum version SP3 but that the asset you are having trouble was was created for TRS19 Platinum SP4 or Trainz Plus SP4 and will not work in the SP3 version. The free SP4 update was due to be released a few weeks ago but ran into some last minute problems. Unfortunately some TRS19/Trainz Plus SP4 assets were inadvertently released at that time in anticipation of the release of the update.

If you can tell us the name and, better still, the kuid code number, of the asset it would help confirm (or refute) the above possibility.

Utterly amazes me how people expect help, but don't provide the most basic information. Let me say what I've said before. I (and everyone else here) aren't mind readers. Why the dickens do we have to ask for the simplest and most basic info? Seriously...

Nobody can even begin to give sensible help until you specify the kuid number of the asset and say which version of Trainz you are trying to put this asset into. Also the exact text of the error message would be useful to see.

Geez, give them a break! Some users have no idea what you are talking about, and breaking it to them very rudely isn't going to get the information out faster than asking kindly. pware did a great job of estimating the problem and providing a solution, and asked nicely for the kuid and asset name. We all don't know about this stuff and it's best to ask users nicely before using more...profuse emotions. Don't get mad at me for this, just consider it as an option the next time you want to respond to someone.

This might sound like something that your elementary school counselor might tell you but its common sense :)

Since I'm no expert with the mechanics of the game I can't solve your problem, MoarCrossovers. What I can tell you to do is follow pware's instructions, he knows a lot more than I do :hehe:

pware, as I did worked in IT. We dealt with "it's broke" messages on voicemail, and in email with absolutely no idea what it is that's broken. We learned the art of ESP and mind-reading. Today, in fact that's taught extensively in IT Bachelor of Arts programs these days. (snark...)

In all seriousness, asking for details nicely gets the answer faster.

The TRS19 SP4 update, for all versions of TRS19 and Trainz Plus, has just gone live so this may solve the problem.

FWIW, I had trouble downloading an asset earlier today while using TS12. I tried again and it worked fine. Might have been around the time SP4 was announced.

You guys should try providing help in the Trainz Discord Support channel. You might get a minute, if you are lucky, to respond before the request gets bumped.

Back