Track numbering - e.g. at stations - how do one count and/or identify track number?

Driving a session, e.g., FossileFuels in Kickstarter, a command is issued like "Drive to track #6" at St. Niclas station. But the present amateur does not see any track numbers displayed. How do I identify the track number?

Do one count from the right/left side of the station, like track 1,2,3,4,5,6?

I have searched the whole www, manuals, and help sites, and nowhere there seem to be others that have had the same issue. I must have overlooked something. But what?

I would be grateful for any help on this. It's driving me nuts.:udrool:

Last edited:
There is no universal way of counting or numbering tracks - but railroads can have naming rules for tracks e.g. Up Main, Down Main, Up Local, Down Local, Relief, etc.

My practice is to use named trackmarks to identify individual tracks.

All you can do is make an educated guess at how the session creator is numbering tracks. You have me curious now. I'll run this later tonight - sometimes you can figure things out by interpreting the session commands. You may not park cars exactly where intended but you can figure out what will work without failing the session. I know I ran this about 3 years ago when I first got "Gold" (Tane SP4 is included) but I have no recollection of the moves. Are you running it in Tane or in '19?

Not having a chance to run this tonight.. maybe tomorrow..

Last edited:
Check the minimap and make sure to turn on "Trackside labels." St. Nicolaas depot tracks are numbered 1 to whatever starting with the line closest to the depot building, if memory serves, and are indicated by trackmarks. Track 4 has no platform.

:B~)

I only find track marks on the 5th track over from the station and that one track has marks of 225, 5, and 205

You must be running this in TRS-19 and the session is flawed or you are running a saved session (which doesn't always work in '19)

I'm in Tane and when coming back to the yard the path is set and a Navigation icon shows. The icon clearly says "Track 6" - If you are not running in Tane I suggest doing so. I run Tane routes only in Tane now. Things work a lot better.

Picture looks a bit off color - It was getting night time and I changed pic exposure to lighten it.

track6.jpg

Thanks 1611mac - This is my first run on my new iMac with M1 chip and 16 GB.

I'm running 2019 Trainz. Build 114841.

I was wondering about the track numbering, because I somehow did assemble the consist wrongly at the Daydream mine, and got the oil tankers in front - instead of at the end of the consist.

But now, the session/Trainz will not allow me to assemble the two consist at the Daydream mine in the right order ...Can it have something to do with having saved the game and restarted it? I have read that it can cause issues from time to time.

Thanks 1611mac - I was not aware that I need to run the session in Tane! I will try asap.

In Trainz 2019 some the information is displayed differently, and I thought it was best to run the newest version. Need to instal Tane now - and figure out how to understand which version the diffrent versions works best with. Have a great day, and thanks again.

Hi 1611mac, Thanks for the advice and picture.

Is there something special on could do when running both TANE and TRS2019 on the same computer? Can they share content, or is it two separate installations? I'm a little concerned that I only ordered 1 GB SSD on my new iMac, as I realize I could easily have used 2GB!

You must be running this in TRS-19 and the session is flawed or you are running a saved session (which doesn't always work in '19)

I'm in Tane and when coming back to the yard the path is set and a Navigation icon shows. The icon clearly says "Track 6" - If you are not running in Tane I suggest doing so. I run Tane routes only in Tane now. Things work a lot better.

Picture looks a bit off color - It was getting night time and I changed pic exposure to lighten it.

Tane and '19 can both be installed and used on same computer. Do not share data/assets. By default both will create separate user data folders. Use Content Manager to learn if a route/sessin is for Tane or TS19. Content Manager will show build number. Build 4.6 and above is TRS19. Here's a chart showing build number references:
https://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/"trainz-build"_number

Though you can run Tane routes and sessions in '19 and they are said to be "compatible" there are just too many issues. Life is a lot simpler and fun if you run Tane routes in Tane and '19 in '19. And remember, even TS19 routes in TS19 don't like "Saves" too much. Things just tend not to work if you play from a saved game (session.)

Driving a session, e.g., FossileFuels in Kickstarter, a command is issued like "Drive to track #6" at St. Niclas station. But the present amateur does not see any track numbers displayed. How do I identify the track number?

Do one count from the right/left side of the station, like track 1,2,3,4,5,6?

I have searched the whole www, manuals, and help sites, and nowhere there seem to be others that have had the same issue. I must have overlooked something. But what?

I would be grateful for any help on this. It's driving me nuts.:udrool:

There are a couple of ways to identify tracks/track numbers. You may have a single track which could lead to a dozen different tracks. Place a Trackmark on your designated track No 1 and then name it 'Track 1'. Do the same for each of your other tracks. Set up your Session with Driver commands and your A1 Driver will find it.
An alternative I use is by using 'Invisible stations' which I name, such as Central Platform No 1, Central Platform No 2, etc, etc,... and your A1 Driver will find it.
Good luck, Roy3b3.

There are a couple of ways to identify tracks/track numbers. You may have a single track which could lead to a dozen different tracks. Place a Trackmark on your designated track No 1 and then name it 'Track 1'. Do the same for each of your other tracks. Set up your Session with Driver commands and your A1 Driver will find it.
An alternative I use is by using 'Invisible stations' which I name, such as Central Platform No 1, Central Platform No 2, etc, etc,... and your A1 Driver will find it.
Good luck, Roy3b3.

Thanks Roy3b3, very useful for my (rather limited for the moment) building.
- - john - -

Go into the properties window for the station and set the initial number of passengers to different values for each platform and then inspect the station and if necessary count the passengers per platform.

Later edit:-
Whoops - you wasn't asking about stations but someone may find the answer useful, so I will leave it.

Sorry people - it's an age thing!!

Last edited:
Again I refer you to picture in post 6 above which clearly shows which track the session creator means as track 6. It is labeled by a Nav icon. The real issue is that this does not show when running the session in TRS19. The above pic is taken from Tane.

Back