Smooth Spline Height "S"

coRioGrandeSouthern

Fan of Otto Mears
Is there a setting that defines the height from the top of the rail to the ground? I can't find it in Trainz Surveyor, and I couldn't find a Thread that addresses this setting.

Thanks for any help.

As far as I know, the default height from the ground (or more precisely, the Z = 0 point in the 3D program in which the track mesh is made) to the top surface of the rail is 0.3 metre. I can only find 1 reference in the Wiki to back that up, and it's not a particularly official one. Perhaps there is a more official reference in there, I don't know. This is not a variable "setting" as such, it's a specification that all tracks are supposed to comply with.

I stand to be corrected on any of the above, because I have not been keeping abreast of this stuff for a while.

Last edited:
I remembered 0.3 m from way way back but when I searched last year I also found nothing definite that specifies top of track has to be at z = 0.3m in the track spline mesh. The old chunky mesh track definition was what I ended up finding and it has a diagram that shows it as 0.3 meters. It was 1 of 7 values you had to input with the chunky-info tag. That's almost 20 years old and I'd bet the farm no one is modeling this kind of track anymore. With the new procedural track using individual rail assets you'd think it would be something that needs to be specified - for new content makers.

The wiki "how to guide" for building track is mia.

Bob Pearson

Back