Video editing (shhh not gaming, right?) computer ;)

swdw

With upgrading from Vegas Edit to Vegas POST, I found a HUGE slowdown with the Effects software. Basically, it crawls rendering certain effects. Considering my current box has done me well for over 6 years with some minor upgrades, it's time to relegate it as the 3D printer and network storage box.

Of course I emphasized the editing part as I'm editing videos for my wife business, but I kinda forgot to mention, for the games I play, it'll be a heck of an upgrade too.

Will be holding on to the video card for now because of the crazy prices. It's selling for twice what I paid for it early last year. Now if I could only find that 7870XT and put it on ebay.;)

So the upgrade is as follows:
New case, as mine is too old for liquid coolers or the tall air coolers. No RGB as I'm not a fan of that.

Use my existing NVidia 1660 Super OC (and monitors)

Phanteks Enthoo Pro, full tower ATX case. Yes with the glass. I've had to pull off side panels to see which fan is going out in the past. Should make looking easier.
AMD5900x 12 core, 3.7 Ghz
Assassin III air cooler (I only do minor OC)
ASRock X570 TaiChi MB
G.Skill 850W fully modular PS
SAMSUNG 1TB - M.2 NVMe Interface Internal Solid State Drive with V-NAND Technology
32GB dual channel T Force DDR4 3200
Misc SATA drives will move over, as video takes LOTS of space.
Blu Ray RW and DVD RW (video again)

Upgrading from a FX6300 3 core black edition with 16GB of RAM that easily OC'd to 3.8 Ghz

Not into many new games. 3D games play list includes

Skyrim VR (which refused to launch om my current box, so I play the older version)
TS2019
IL2's Cliffs of Dover (Battle of Britain flight sim)
Silent Hunter 4 (WWI Sub sim)

Will also be a big boost for work in Blender and 3D CAD

Waiting for the case to start the build.

An RTX card will probably be in the future as I get better with Blender.

Last edited:
Video editing is very demanding for your PC
Using Shotcut here, the only time I hear fans spin often and max my PC

You will enjoy the update you planned, specially the m2.SSD is a big win
if you can, place the TRS19 local folder on that drive, it helps trainz a lot
greetings GM

Video editing is very demanding for your PC
Using Shotcut here, the only time I hear fans spin often and max my PC

You will enjoy the update you planned, specially the m2.SSD is a big win
if you can, place the TRS19 local folder on that drive, it helps trainz a lot
greetings GM
Yep, made the SSD drive the windows drive since it's 1TB. TS19 is on it. Videos and pictures are kept on the other drives because of how much room the video takes, and the RAW picture file size is no slouch either.

Performance? With everything maxed out in the graphics, I get 30fps at a minimum, and up to 60fps running the Littl River mining coal drag with the 2-6-6-6. Considering the 1660 is now a lower midrange pcie3 card, that's doing pretty darn good.
BTW, everything maxed means all settings in the performance tab maxed out and process objects behind the camera turned on, then maxing out all the graphics settings in Driver, including draw distance. Also, there is a second display on at the same time with the desktop background. Can probably back down the draw distance a bit

Even though I'm using an air cooler, not a liquid one, the CPU temp max when running TS19 is 57 deg C. The GPU running at full load and is only is 61 deg C. Only half of the 6GB is being used.

Ran Cinebench R23 and had CPUID hardware monitor running so I could monitor what was going on. With all cores pushed to 100% for 8 minutes, the maximum CPU temperature was 66 Deg C. And the difference in results from my old computer- holy cow!

Would be interesting to see the performance with the new Nvidia and AMD cards, but the prices are ridiculous right now. My 1660 that I bought about 18 months ago for $167 is now selling for for $330. So I think I'll wait.

Back