TRS19 Lags when entering a session or route

James005

Has anyone aside from me been experiencing a massive amount of lag whenever they enter a session or route in TRS19?

Two possible factors here.

1. The very first time you start a new route and/or session Trainz performs some "pre-caching" or optimisation which does take some time but it means that subsequent startups of that route and/or sesion will be much faster.
  2. Loading a very large route (e.g. several hundred MB in size) does take longer than a one or two baseboard route.

Apart from those cases, no I have not experienced "a massive amount of lag" on starting up a session or route in TRS19.

One thing that can make a difference is your virus checker. Have you added TRS19.exe to its real-time scan exclusion list?

I recently made a significant upgrade to my Trainz computer system and it made a huge improvement to my load times particularly on the larger routes. But TRS19 seems to be better optimised than T:ANE when loading and running routes.

1. The very first time you start a new route and/or session Trainz performs some "pre-caching" or optimization which does take some time but it means that subsequent startups of that route and/or session will be much faster.
  2. Loading a very large route (e.g. several hundred MB in size) does take longer than a one or two baseboard route.

Apart from those cases, no I have not experienced "a massive amount of lag" on starting up a session or route in TRS19.

One thing that can make a difference is your virus checker. Have you added TRS19.exe to its real-time scan exclusion list?

I recently made a significant upgrade to my Trainz computer system and it made a huge improvement to my load times particularly on the larger routes. But TRS19 seems to be better optimised than T:ANE when loading and running routes.
I don't think I have added it to it's real time scan exclusion list. How do I do that?

It will depend on your particular antivirus software program. Perhaps Google your particular product and look for "Realtime exclusion"?

1. The very first time you start a new route and/or session Trainz performs some "pre-caching" or optimisation which does take some time but it means that subsequent startups of that route and/or sesion will be much faster.

So, I've added TRS19 to my virus checkers exclusion list. Now what do I do?

Restart TRS19 and see if it has made a difference. Load in a route and session that you have loaded recently.

Restart TRS19 and see if it has made a difference. Load in a route and session that you have loaded recently.
So I've given it a try and it seems that even though it's in my Antiviruses exception list the game still keeps lagging after a few minutes. Is there anything I should have done when I added TRS19 to my Antiviruses exception list?

Well written software, you do not need to do anything with your virus settings
exceptions are FI (bit)torrent software
or if you have software that wants to fone home too often

Here I just use the built-in windows defender and firewall
Often have to debug computers from family, friends, people in the neighborhood
they always come here, cause they know it gets fixed.
In many cases they installed some free anti-Virus app (only the sun is free as long as it shines)
slowing their system down and not really giving extra protection.
After removing the bloat-ware, I see a drastic improved PC.

I don't have TRS19 in exception list and it works just fine.

There are some other things you can try.

If you are using a regular hard disk, defragment the drive. TRS2019, like all versions of Trainz, opens and closes lots of files and this can cause the drive to become fragmented. Defrag is a built-in utility and can be easily accessed while in This PC in Explorer.

Open up This PC.
Click on a hard disk.
At the top of the window is a toolbar.
Click on Drive Tools.
Click on Optimize.
Select your hard disk.
Choose Defrag. Don't bother with analyze.

The process can take sometime to complete depending upon how fragmented your disk is. Doing this periodically, if not more often when using Trainz, will keep the performance up. Keep in mind, even though you may have set the process to be done automatically, this process won't be done automatically if your PC is off.

The other issue is heat. If your PC is running very hot, then the computer components will slow down so they don't burn up. You will need to check for dirt, dust, and lint in your fans and computer case openings. If you choose to clean them, put something such as a pencil into the fans and blow them out gently with compressed air. A Rock blaster is the cheapest way to do this. You can get one on Amazon for less than $10 these days.

Last edited:
Well written software, you do not need to do anything with your virus settings

I don't have TRS19 in exception list and it works just fine.

It depends on how your AV program works. Those that only perform a regular scan or scan downloads will (probably) not cause any problems. Those that scan anything and everything that you open (realtime scanning) WILL have a noticeable effect on your system if you are using software that frequently accesses database files and the like, such as the Trainz database. I was having significant problems with TANE until I added TANE.exe to the AV realtime exclusion list - and that was the only change I made that solved the problem. Others have reported the same. If the exclusion list has no effect then why provide it?

Even if some other factor is the cause in this case, it is certainly something that is worth a try.

It depends on how your AV program works. Those that only perform a regular scan or scan downloads will (probably) not cause any problems. Those that scan anything and everything that you open (realtime scanning) WILL have a noticeable effect on your system if you are using software that frequently accesses database files and the like, such as the Trainz database. I was having significant problems with TANE until I added TANE.exe to the AV realtime exclusion list - and that was the only change I made that solved the problem. Others have reported the same. If the exclusion list has no effect then why provide it?

Even if some other factor is the cause in this case, it is certainly something that is worth a try.
What anti virus software do you use?

So I've given it a try and it seems that even though it's in my Antiviruses exception list the game still keeps lagging after a few minutes. Is there anything I should have done when I added TRS19 to my Antiviruses exception list?

You should specify the trs19 directory and the build directory as exceptions.

Back