Where would one go to find good DEM data nowadays?

Blutorse4792

Now T:ANE I can get into
I finally have TransDEM up and running again, but it would appear that most of the DEM sites that I had previously relied upon have bitten the dust over the last few years.
Does anybody have recommendations for alternative (and, preferably, free) sites with detailed data available?
I did search the forum, but most of the threads seemed to be at least 3-to-5 years old, which can be an eternity in internet years.

Thank you.

Hiawathamr, is there a wiki or tutorial on how to use the .hgt files from that site? Looks like it downloads zip files of fairly large regions.

No tutorial on how to use the site. It'll download zip file containing a few regions. Here is a pic of one of them.
Qm4RiMW.jpg

Cheers

If you are looking for US data, here ya go.
https://apps.nationalmap.gov/downloader/#/

You'll want Elevation Products under data sets, where you'll be able to select the resolution for the area you want. Recommend 1/9 arc second where available, with 1 meter being next choice (only second because Trainz maxs out at 5m resolution therefore making 1/9 arc second preferable) followed by 1/3 arc if neither of those are available.

If you are looking for US data, here ya go.
https://apps.nationalmap.gov/downloader/#/

You'll want Elevation Products under data sets, where you'll be able to select the resolution for the area you want. Recommend 1/9 arc second where available, with 1 meter being next choice (only second because Trainz maxs out at 5m resolution therefore making 1/9 arc second preferable) followed by 1/3 arc if neither of those are available.

It looks like the entirety of the area I'm interested in is only available in 1/3 arc, though different portions of it also seem to be available in 1/9 arc and 1 meter... I don't suppose it's possible to utilize a combination, is it?
It's been a long time, but I seem to recall that TransDEM doesn't like merging DEMs in different formats(?).

I haven't used this site myself but this one seems to be good and its free http://viewfinderpanoramas.org/Cove...s3iU7M9UjkVYcLf_lqRyV2HKpLrDOaBNob1dmY_9j2Y9g

I would also recommend SRTM but their link is dead... I heard they've moved everything to another host but so far haven't found it.

Cheers

I may give this a try as well.

You can use different resolution DEM. If you are using different resolution you want to load the highest res that you are using first so that everything that follows will continue to be max resolution. That's how I understood it from Transdems creator, Mr. Ziegler. You'll of course want to trim down the lower resolution part so that you're using as much of the higher res as possible, and there may be a slightly noticeable seam you may to smooth out but it's not a big hassle imho.

Where are you looking to cover?

I haven't used this site myself but this one seems to be good and its free http://viewfinderpanoramas.org/Cove...s3iU7M9UjkVYcLf_lqRyV2HKpLrDOaBNob1dmY_9j2Y9g

I would also recommend SRTM but their link is dead... I heard they've moved everything to another host but so far haven't found it.

Cheers

Fortunately SRTM is not dead but it is hiding presumably because the government site changed the URL. Although the direct link no longer works, this is a "front-end" user-friendly site that I use and still works:

30-Meter SRTM Elevation Data Downloader (dwtkns.com)

If you don't have a userid/password already, there is a link on the above mentioned site to create one. Since I already had one, I have not tried this myself.

I have successfully made many chunks of Trainz terrain using TransDEM and the site mentioned above. Also, TransDEM will automatically unzip the zipped SRTM file so no need to do it outside of TransDEM although you certainly can as others have said.

So now you have two sites to try, the one I mentioned above and the one suggested by hiawathamr

Last edited:
The U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) Earth Explorer provides access to a wide range of satellite and aerial imagery, including DEM data. It allows users to search, view, and download high-resolution DEMs.
NASA's Earthdata Search offers access to a variety of Earth science data, including DEMs. The Shuttle Radar Topography Mission (SRTM) data, in particular, is available and widely used for topographic analysis.

Back