Oh, DEER!!...Would this scare the pie out of you if you were a deer underneath?

JonMyrlennBailey

AOvXCfO.jpg

Last edited:
Not long ago I posted an ugly low girder bridge for an animal underpass but yes, this wood trestle looks more charming in the forest indeed. The trouble with trestle is that it won't join track at the spline point using the Add tool. You have to drag the spline points real close with Move + Shift then tap Move so they join. The spline points may jump just a hair and the formerly-straight track on either end of the non-bendable trestle bridge might wind up with curves as broad as 125,000 meters (virtually straight to the naked human eye) while the trestle itself reads 0 (zero) perfectly straight with the Show curve radius 'L' tool. Most track and many other spline content can be added right at spline points without dislocating the spline points or ruining perfect straightness.

By the way, what does the 'L' stand for in Show curve radius 'L' ?

There are rail-joiners available on the DLS as track-objects. I can't remember who made them though.

The bridge is fine; deer get used to things like that, besides, trains don't pass that often. We have a herd of deer that frequent my bird feeder to steal the feed out of the feeder and to eat the cracked corn my dad puts out for the ducks, turkeys and for the deer. They cross the street when they can and hang out in the driveway and don't care if we're around. We don't approach them and leave them alone while they eat.

In real life, I think it's in Utah or Wyoming, there's a highway overpass meant strictly for wildlife. There's a camera placed nearby showing the animal traffic crossing the bridge including bobcats, antelope, and other critters. Given the amount of traffic below, we would think the animals would shy away from the bridge, but nope they cross anyway and a lot safer too than playing in traffic.

Colorado71 bridges can be used for curved bridges, can connect to track by themselves, and are on the DLS. I suggested those in the last thread you made about this. Also, search for 'joint' on the DLS with the category 'trackside items' and 'title' selected.

Last edited:
Colorado71 bridges can be used for curved bridges, can connect to track by themselves, and are on the DLS. I suggested those in the last thread you made about this. Also, search for 'joint' on the DLS with the category 'trackside items' and 'title' selected.

I must say that Colorado71 makes the bee's knees of wooden trestle that joins like normal track and bends to boot! No more shifting spline points!! Thanks a million Trainz spline points!!

QIYLi96.jpg

If the spline resists attaching to the track, it sometimes works better to move the track to attach to the spline....

:B~)

If the spline resists attaching to the track, it sometimes works better to move the track to attach to the spline....

Exactly what I'd rather not do if I can help it. This will upset perfect straightness. Colorado71 trestle also grades like ordinary track to boot. Discovering this nifty content has spawned my imagination to get even more creative with it. You can tell I'm sort of a wildlife conservationist. Wild animals must migrate to keep the gene pool rare and healthy.

3wYQKMt.jpg

Last edited:
Does this Pond have a bottom? When I lived in Southern Indiana the old Milwakee ran through our farm land and about 3 miles down the road was a small "pond" that was called "Blue Hole." Wasn't very big at all but the "solid" legend was that is was "bottom-less." Also a "fact" :eek: of this legend was that a couple of derails laying on a "shelf" quite a bit under.

Ha.. I image every small town in America has a "Blue Hole". I fished around there a lot. I can tell you this for a fact.. Nothing feed into this pond but a 3 to 5 foot wide stream flowed out constently. I fished that entire stream in my youth and it had humongus Buffalo fish in it.

Legend of Blue Hole

Google maps shows the water flow out of it
:

Sadly - the track was taken up years and year ago. Local town now advertises it as a walking path.

Maybe you could re-create that?

Last edited:
I think I made my pond about 2m deep. I put a few Trainz fish in it too. Using that powerful Copy/Paste tool, I was able to easily regenerate the whole deer bridge at a new location. The deer bridge under the train bridge now has more head clearance for the big buck's rack, about 8 feet. The deer bridge is now under the summit of the arched graded trestle. The small section of track over the deer bridge is level, no gradient. The two trestle spline points allowed me to center the deer bridge between the trestle supports. The trestle and telephone poles in the water are both wood. They should be treated with creosote to prevent rotting as they do fishing piers. I used Delete to get rid of all the content components of the other deer bridge in its original location. Using Copy/Paste sure beat having to build that whole deer bridge again by hand. The deer bridge has 8' overhead clearance. An adult male Bigfoot (I think they get up to 10 feet) may have to slouch slightly to get under the trestle using this wildlife migration bridge. Human hikers in the woods can use this bridge too.

iR73ewL.jpg

Last edited:
I've heard that in New England the rule of thumb is a pond is no more than seven feet deep, any more and it's a lake.

Back