Loads hanging off side of car. . . why?

kaw4014

Every time I "Edit Properties" on a flatcar and try to load say, steel beams, they load in but way off to the side. This happens with a lot of the loads compatible with flatcars. Does anyone know what i'm doing wrong?
My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

The more loads I add, just melds them into the first. The load you see in the picture could totally fit on the flatcar, it just needs to be moved over . . . . how?
load-to-side.jpg

Last edited:
Off to the side, or off the end? The screenshot just looks like you loaded something that is much longer than the flat car.

Likely the flatcar is configured for half/shorter loads, thus it places the beams on one end and it hangs off. Try other loads, something on pallets, lumber and you will likely see two stacks of product, not one big long one. In other words, you'd need shorter steel beams. It's all in the configuration. For an experiment place a loco and a number of different flatcars on track, make sure "instant auto load" is in driver commands, then in Driver give the (intstant)AutoLoad command repeatedly. I learned about container loads doing this.

Others will post with specifics I'm sure...

Note for those who may respond: First pic posted showed half the beam hanging off the end of the car with the other end of car empty. (half load)

To the OP - you should re-post the first pic.. it's much more representative of the issue

Last edited:
The picture shows that you have placed 3 steel girder loads. This also shows that the beams have 12 bands around them. It also tells me that you have tried to place the beams on the flatcar which is set up for more than 1 load, in fact, you are using a 6 load setup. Your beams are on attachment points 1, 2, and 3.

Off to the side, or off the end? The screenshot just looks like you loaded something that is much longer than the flat car.

All the time it's something that could totally fit on the flatcar but it just hangs off the side. What you see in the picture is something that I added about 6 of the steel beam loads.

Try the different load positions. That wagon has 3 positions. It is loading on position 0. Have this problem with placing TOFC trailers sometimes.
Cheers, Mike

The issue is just that, as stated above, but having a load like that isn't unrealistic. Railroads will then place a second flat car under the "hanging" end and use this to distribute the weight of the heavy objects between the cars over the bogies rather than place the heavy loads squarely on the flat cars.

Back