NVMe Performance Boost

grazlash

Route Builder
I just purchased and installed a Kingston 2tb NVMe M.2 PCIe drive for AUD$265 and I am astounded at the increase in performance. A route that previously took 10 minutes to load completely, is now up and running in under a minute. DBR took 30 seconds where 30 minutes was quick previously. Lightning fast loading of textures and assets, saves are instant and compiling scripts and caching assets completes in a minute rather than hours.
If you are in need of more space for Trainz, one of these would be hard to go past. (There are PCIe adaptors available too if you don't have a native M.2 NVMe port)
cheers
Graeme

Yes - NVMe PCIe drives keep getting faster and better and more affordable - now with PCIe 4 and even 5.
These are a superb upgrade over spinning rust HDDs and even SATA 3.0 SSDs, particularly for laptops.

My gaming laptop is a HP OMEN.
However, I am holding off on upgrading the OEM 256Gb NVMe drive because of reports that some NVMe drives are showing up as incompatible due to not being on HP's "white list" of suppliers.
This seems to affect even Samsung NVMes, despite the OEM NVMe drive being supplied by Samsung.
I recently upgraded the 1Tb HDD to a 2Tb Samsung 870 SSD and had no problems at all to date.
At the same time i upgraded from 16Gb RAM to 32Gb of RAM.
If I were to find that I can install an NVMe without issues on this OMEN then I'd likely have to step up from 256Gb to 2Tb in order to give enough space for both Win10 Pro, TRS2019 and a couple of other storage hogs such as MSFS2020 and Elite Dangerous Odyssey.

Last edited:
A twist on the above. I recently purchased a new desktop, and as part of the migration moved the EVO 870 SSD which holds my Trainz data from my old machine to my new machine. Before doing that I copied the Trainz local file onto the hard drive of my old PC, in case I needed to go back to it. Today I had cause to do that. Its been a few years since I last ran Trainz with a local folder on a HD, and I was astounded by how SLOW it was to start up my route!

Back