Route Scenery Missing, Only Terrain Present

Hi all,

I've run into this problem periodically but usually I can find the answer. Today I'm having trouble finding it though, so I figured I'd make a post about it and finally know right where it is.

So today I opened a route of mine in TRS2019, and a window came up telling me changes had been made, and gave me the option to keep or revert the changes. I did "revert," and now my route is entirely just terrain and textures. Today I've attempted the process of moving a few of last week's .tzarc files to the editing folder, rebuilding database, and committing changes... to no avail. It's still just textured terrain.

In the meantime I may try some earlier .tzarc files, but can someone please refresh my memory on what the solution is for this problem? Thanks in advance.

hi Frodo,
When you work on a Route, Trainz opens it in the Local/editing directory
it also creates a new directory there, where your changes are temp. stored
If for some reason, you did not save complete or you crashed
The next time you open that same route, Trainz gives you that popup
with choice "revert" =don't use what you last edited
or Use, in this case the last edits are accepted and now part of the route.
By choosing "revert" you kind of destroy/ignore all the work you did last...

to retrieve an older version of your route, FI from a .tzarc file
read this

hope you get all back

In this case, I forgot to mention it's an old route started in 2017 but I moved it onto my current computer last month. There's a huge amount of scenery, including an entire town, so it seems like all that should at least be showing up... any manual saves from the past month wouldn't look very different from one another (luckily I save extremely often). So I would think reverting wouldn't have this strong of an effect.

Thanks for the link, it looks like I misread part of it the first time, but tried using the method again the way it says... still no dice, unfortunately. Still just blank terrain.

hi Frodo,
When you work on a Route, Trainz opens it in the Local/editing directory
it also creates a new directory there, where your changes are temp. stored
If for some reason, you did not save complete or you crashed
The next time you open that same route, Trainz gives you that popup
with choice "revert" =don't use what you last edited
or Use, in this case the last edits are accepted and now part of the route.
By choosing "revert" you kind of destroy/ignore all the work you did last...

to retrieve an older version of your route, FI from a .tzarc file
read this

hope you get all back

The .tzarc files are found in the backups folder with the dates for the various days in YY-MM-DD format.

The .tzarc file will have your kuid as the name. The bigger of the files is the full route. The others are bits and pieces.

To restore the route, delete the broken one in Content Manager. I recommend taking a backup of it first just in case.

Copy the .tzarc file you want to restore into the Edit folder.

Close any folders you have open, and run a DBR.

Your route should be restored.

Reinstalling or restoring a backup version of your content - Powered by Kayako Help Desk Software (trainzportal.com)

AAAND that did it! I guess the only thing I didn't do was do a rebuild while the broken route was deleted the first time I tried deleting it. But I went in and all the trees, tracks, buildings, etc. have returned.

MANY thanks! I'll be sure to bookmark this thread for the future (and make CDPs of the route more often).

The .tzarc files are found in the backups folder with the dates for the various days in YY-MM-DD format.

The .tzarc file will have your kuid as the name. The bigger of the files is the full route. The others are bits and pieces.

To restore the route, delete the broken one in Content Manager. I recommend taking a backup of it first just in case.

Copy the .tzarc file you want to restore into the Edit folder.

Close any folders you have open, and run a DBR.

Your route should be restored.

Reinstalling or restoring a backup version of your content - Powered by Kayako Help Desk Software (trainzportal.com)

You're welcome. I'm glad that worked.

I've forgotten that step too in the past. While the process isn't complex, it could be simpler and easier to perform with less thinking required.

A simple utility to restore asset, meaning route, session, object, etc., to handle this process without requiring an exit to the operating system to do it would make things so much cleaner.

You're welcome. I'm glad that worked.

I've forgotten that step too in the past. While the process isn't complex, it could be simpler and easier to perform with less thinking required.

A simple utility to restore asset, meaning route, session, object, etc., to handle this process without requiring an exit to the operating system to do it would make things so much cleaner.

TZarchiver v1.2 Drag and drop a .tzarc into the utility to re-create an asset that can be drag and dropped into CM without database rebuild etc. I have no connection with the creator, but I've used it a couple of times, bombproof so far and takes a lot of the guess work out of which tzarc is which. Also works backwards to create a tzarc, but I haven't tried that aspect...

Cheers

Back