Puffing Billy

I found the fix, for the invisible trees.

Add the following to the tree_name.texture.txt

AlphaHint=masked
MipAlgorithm=tend-towards-opaque

If there are other AlphaHints in there, delete them since this will override them.

If there are other Alpha settings, you can leave them. I found that was necessary on the bog-standard Tree52 which is ghosted in TRS19. After I applied those two lines, the trees now load up fine in the preview window.

If they are built-in...

You need to:

1) Clone the asset
2) Use PEV's Images 2 TGA to convert the .texture files to .texture.txt equivalents.
3) Delete the .texture files if they're left over.
4) Edit each .texture.txt file for each tree or tree-clump if you are editing the tree splines.

Last edited:
We have a honey locust and a maple across the back fence from us, and they both would very much like to get started in my back yard. One of these days we will have to take out this great big hybrid poplar, and then maybe I will decide either or both can succeed!

Wikipedia calls sorbus aucuparia alternatively Rowan or mountain ash, which gave me the substitution idea, and the rmms look reasonably close. The tree translation tables published here sometime back also translate Russian "Riabina" as English "Rowan/Ashberry". Well, that's close enough for a duffer like me. :p Anyway, it sure would be nice if I could hack some of these old trees back to the images they show in the .im files, but it doesn't look like that is likely at my skill level, so next time I get a block of time I am going to try starting on my substitutions in surveyor. Hopefully bulk replace will do most of the work. This looks like a worthwhile fun kind of route that can help me hone some of my "fixit" skills, and I think I have a good chance of having something that looks good when I am done! :D

Texture texture, kinda gives me a headache! Anyway I have only 5 faulty items left with the rolling stock, which centre on 2 errors. I may change the invisible bogie, actually I think I changed one already doh!. I think the main problem left is with 30 PBR 2 NK interior which says - <kuid:44700:55210> VE170: Failed to open compiled texture 'cranks.texture' for 'arc:fld:$(local)/hash-4F||kuid 44700 55210.tzarc|'Noting this is in Tane, not TRS19. There are 2 items using that asset (interior), so if I can fix it, that'll be good. Several interiors work even with pm file and 2 that are faulty are still faulty after changing the pm to an im file, but it seems some texture files are missing.

As for plant names, be careful Mountain ash in Europe ain't the same as here. Try looking up white pine, there's half a dozen different species with the same common name. The route can be made to look quite good, I've replaced most of the trees already and lowered a few floating ones, but need to bury many on those steep embankments.

Did not get any time today to move forward. It sounds like I am going to have to go back and individually test all of the rolling stock in TRS19, but they cleared up nicely in CM - not always a guarantee! True that about the trees, so perhaps I am out in left field on that. Hopefully I will get some time tomorrow, but even as I am retired I seem to be awfully busy!

At last! Thank you.

I had given up hope that 'Puffing Billy' would show up in Trainz. The PBR models were the first ones I worked on when Trainz came to life. They were made about 18 years ago. I think that I made all the rolling stock. I also have various track parts that I made later-on which I will have to dig out.

Although I have really just retired from Trainz I am happy to do updates, and remedy any problems you may encounter. PM me.

Peter <narrowgauge>

Greetings NarrowGauge! Thank you for this happy creation! I hope when I get done maybe this thread will be somewhat of a guide for others looking to update this route. I suppose maybe it should be moved to a different forum, but at least it is a model of the prototype!

Hi Peter, interesting info and thanks for the offer. I'm working on it in Tane, as for me in TRS19 SP1 the route was broken, but seems Forester had no such problem in SP3. I'll send you a PM.

Well, Forester1 DID have some of them go bad once he tried working with them, so it still remains to be seen. However I did use John's fix for the bogies and that has apparently worked for the time being. And, I was able to substitute a texture for the buffer stop that looks great, and I just deleted the missing interior from the one coach (The only one that had one, but it was missing). I may have to throw some consists on the tracks and see if that causes any errors.

I sent Peter a PM but no reply yet. I've fiddled with seeing if I can add attachment points for passengers and got that to work. Except they are invisible! I'd like to do more, but I also have lots of projects gong at the same time, and I'd like to extend it to its' end. Give me a few months, if I can get permission that is.

Thanks Alikiwi. I am currently on the road and have not had time to work on this but hope to maybe in November.

We could really do with some updated or new gum trees as the current very old range makes it quite difficult to populate Australian based routes. Doesn't look right using European or North American types as a substitute.

Not looked at TRS2022, but see one of the new routes is an Aussie one. Would be curious to know what trees that uses and if any are a new build.

We could really do with some updated or new gum trees as the current very old range makes it quite difficult to populate Australian based routes. Doesn't look right using European or North American types as a substitute.

Not looked at TRS2022 but see one of the new routes is an Aussie one. Would be curious to know what trees that uses and if any are a new build.

You mean these?

These are built in, according to my Content Manager:

<kuid2:565830:100007:3> Tree Eucalypt 01

<kuid2:523:19723090:1> Tree Eucalypt 02
<kuid2:523:19723099:1> Tree Eucalypt 03
<kuid2:523:1972909:3> Tree Eucalypt 04
<kuid2:523:1599:3> Tree Eucalypt 05
<kuid2:523:1106:3> Tree Eucalypt 06
<kuid2:523:1105:3> Tree Eucalypt 07
<kuid2:523:1972910:2> Tree Eucalypt 09

<kuid2:523:1104:3> Tree Eucalypt 10
<kuid2:523:1598:3> Tree Eucalypt 11