Puffing Billy

Forester1

Just saw a travelogue about Melbourne that included a ride on the Puffing Billy Line. Just curious if anyone has modeled this in Trainz, and if so, if it is available somewhere?

There is definetely Victorian Railways narrow gauge items on the DLS, including the NA class tank engines and the G class Garratt, along with the carriage stock, but I can't remember if anyone has uploaded a route of the Belgrave to Gembrook line.

Trainzone also has the above items (including a route of the line as far Menzies Creek) but I believe they're for older build versions of Trainz so may not work unfortunately.

Last edited:
Oh Awesome! Thanks guys! Malc, the description for the route points right to Trainzone for the (original!)PBR assets, so it will be interesting to see how this goes. Will report back when I get a chance to try all this in TRS2019!

UPDATE: Not half bad for such an old route in TRS19! The old trees are fading/ghosting, so it would be nice to replace them with new trees. Some of the roads are floating above the ground a bit. There is apparently a bumper stop missing, as I have orange boxes at the end of every track. Oddly, it doesn't show in CM as missing assets, although it has an explanation point on the icon in the menu. I also had to change the REGION "Australia" to the region KUID for Australia.
Everything is easily fixable! I think this could be a lot of fun! I got all the locos and rolling stock from Trainzone. Anyone have any recommendations for the following?
1. A suitable bumper stop asset for Australia for the time period?
2. Suitable replacement trees for that area? I'm guessing I can get the kind of trees from the current older assets and look for updated versions, so this should not be too hard.

EDIT: Turns out the stop, <kuid:44700:28900> PBR Buffer Block, is there but faulty. Missing the texture: VE165: Texture 'rusty_brown.texture' is missing or could not be loaded in mesh 'pbr_buffer_block.im', material '*vr_buffer_block*78BE01D6*mtl #6*m.onetex'. There is a "Badrust.texture.txt", and a "rustgrey.texture.txt", but nothing that says "rusty_brown". It is not mentioned in the config.txt file, so no way to substitute or remove the reference. Anyone got an idea?

Thanks again for your help folks!

Last edited:
Well I made the mistake of putting it in TRS19, total disaster, surprised you didn't get half the trees following the invisible contours and half plus roads all at baseboard zero height! Had to load it in Tane, which I should have known. Very dated and sad it's only half done, and given its only ten baseboards, wouldn't take much to do the rest of the route. None of the rollingstock works as the bogeys are faulty, with "unable to open file XYZ.pm I'm guessing .pm proceeded .im which was later replaced by .lm? I've started updating the trees, and I also throw in a proper Australia region file, at the moment a 1940s one lol. The old fern trees look pretty old, but they'll have to do.

I replaced that bumper stop with<kuid:283805:2010> 2ft buffer stop and I replaced the awful generic lever switches with <kuid2:541259:100313:1> NZR Switch Lever which looks more realistic and I'm sure the Kiwis won't mind sharing.

As for trees, you want gum trees, so the standard Tree Euc series and st_rmm_evkalipt series will do that. I'm tempeted to leave the Mountain Ash in place as although old, have that typical straight trunk of those type of gums, yes they are a gum tree. The splines are a pain, and will take a little time to replace with individual trees. The roads need updating as you noted although in Tane they aren't floating. The people need replacing, and AJS invisible station could be added to make the stations interactive. The rolling stock however is a problem, but there are other 2ft types that might be substituted like <kuid2:403746:369:4> 2ft Gauge Baltic Tank - Purple and <kuid2:403746:337:4> 2ft Gauge Bagnall - Black.

Edit:- Just checked and that's barely 1/4 of the entire line as it goes as far as Gembrook. Tempted to complete it, but then I doubt one could track down the original creator to get permission to upload it.

Last edited:
Alikiwi, thanks for the comprehensive response! I added an edit above before seeing your post, so I will go with some of what you have indicated. I still think this could be some fun!
EDIT: Would the Pevsoft PM2IM program help with the xyz issue? Also, all of the Puffing Billy locos and rolling stock by narrowgauge that I downloaded from TrainZone appear to be OK in TRS19. Haven't tried them on the route yet.

Last edited:
Alikiwi, thanks for the comprehensive response! I added an edit above before seeing your post, so I will go with some of what you have indicated. I still think this could be some fun!
EDIT: Would the Pevsoft PM2IM program help with the xyz issue? Also, all of the Puffing Billy locos and rolling stock by narrowgauge that I downloaded from TrainZone appear to be OK in TRS19. Haven't tried them on the route yet.

Yes.

Use PM2IM.exe to create the .IM file out of the .PM.

You then have to edit the config.txt file and change the reference to the .pm to the .IM in the mesh-table. You may need to create a mesh-table if so, you can copy this and swap out the names such as the mesh name. I fixed a gazillion assets like this back when updating old assets to work in TS12 and up.

Here's a generic mesh-table sample I saved from somewhere I think maybe from one of John King's newsletters he used to put out so many years ago. I bolded the .im extension to make it obvious.

Code:
mesh-table
{
  {
    mesh                                "gp9 high hood undec_body/gp9 high hood undec_body.[B]im[/B]"
    auto-create                         1
  }

shadow
  {
    mesh                                "gp9 high hood undec_body/shadow.[B]im[/B]"
  }
}

For a more realistic look, you may need to model some passengers with their legs hanging out as in this pic I took a few years ago.
Puffing-Billy-Legs-Out.jpg

Thanks for the info, but they are faulty in TRS 19 SP1 for me, so don't know why you got lucky Forester! I've downloaded the tool so I can fix them.

Alikiwi, Dunno, but maybe SP3 patched something?
JCitron, Thanks for the fix! I will keep this in my notes!
RailPilgrim, LOL! That was part of the fun of the Travelogue, as the host also was sitting with his feet hanging out the side along with everyone else! They had a maroon loco in the program.

EDIT: Ah! The moment I started looking at the coaches they went faulty with the Bogies. I was trying to fix <kuid:44700:18205> 30 PBR 17 NBH, which is missing it's interior. There are no thumbnails, so I was opening other coaches in explorer to look at the images (could maybe use the interior asset of a similar coach), and as a result they turned faulty, even if I revert to original. Ah well, more work ahead!

Last edited:
John's clever fix appears to have worked for the bogeys, and that in turn fixed the faulties for the coaches. Now I just need a good substitute interior for the coach mentioned above.
EDIT: None of the other coaches even had interiors, so I just deleted it from the config.txt file. It looks OK, even has a rough token of back-to-back side facing benches, so close enough for a hacker like me. On to the trees and the rest!
EDIT: Fixed the PBR buffer block. Borrowed the body texture from a brown rusty US buffer stop. Worked great! It affects just the bolt and anchor rod colors. I tried copying and renaming the rust texture that was present, but it looked really stripey. Sorry this maybe shouldn't have been put under prototype forum, but I was originally looking for a model of the real thing.

Last edited:
Health and Safety down under have put an end to feet outside the carriages about a year ago. Was an article in a magazines about it.

Yeah, so the travelogue must have been at least that old. Seemed safe enough with the retaining bar, but you can't protect people from being careless.

Trying to find tree substitutes now. Trying to substitute the existing eucalyptus with rmm's evkalipt, but the size range is limited from 22m to 35m.(the 20m rmm is 2d). And no splines. The Tree Ferns are fortunately not too bad, as there are no substitutes for those, looking at maybe rmm's riabina for the Mountain Ash, but again, height is limited.. Can't find what an f1 tree is, and can only assume second growth trees are still eucalyptus. And no other Victoria Forest or jungle splines. Seems like there was something a while back about being able to fix "ghost trees" and splines by playing with the alpha channel, but I notice the Victoria Forest splines have separated alpha channel .tgas for the trees, but are still ghosts. Well, I can only do so much. On I go....

Last edited:
Although rmm(s) Eucalypt trees are limited to 35m height, they are about same as the Auran ones, which go down to a much lower height. For me the mix works well, with the mountain ash versions being taller but much thinner being dead straight. There are some by Jankvis although the tallest is only 21m. Look fine in Tane, but from memory ghosting in TRS19? I'll have to import it into my TRS19 SP3 and see if I get your better results.

I've just bulk replaced a salmon gum with <kuid:328583:20351> JVC~(Tr2) Eucalyptus B 17m. As a side note, salmon gums are native to WA (Western Australia) not Victoria lol.

Thanks Alikiwi! I had looked at the JVC(AUS), which ar 2.0 and don't look good. Looks like both the Tr2 and Tr2-setII will work for shorter trees. I need to see how the old eucalyptus "splines" work. They are "splines" in the title but flora in the type so it sounds like they are more of a non-expandable group?

Health and Safety down under have put an end to feet outside the carriages about a year ago. Was an article in a magazines about it.

February 2018 was when the ban was brought in following a collision of a a tour bus with the side of the train after it failed to stop at the flashing lights. Thankfully the carriage hit was unoccupied and no one on board the train was injuried, and since then the railway has been in the process of upgrading the level crossings and carriage sills to cover all safety basis to allow the practice to return, especially since it saw a massive reduction in local patronage. Chances are that if COVID hadn't shut the railway down from April to November last year, and the ongoing lockdowns imposed by the Victorian Government this year, it might have come back by now.

Tim

Unfortunately those splines are terrible and ghosting in Tane, probably always were? Don't forget to add native bird sounds :). there are KB_magpie 1 & 2 & 3 although the first one doesn't sound right to me. Then there is the arn Kookaburra which is a must but don't over do them, they are loud. Also my Oz bird sounds, a beautiful black cockatoo (pity there isn't an actual bird) and eastern whip bird which is a tiny shy bird but makes some amazing sounds.

Tree splines started falling apart in TS12 SP1 HF4, aka Build 61388. It was there they went invisible but before that they looked like cardboard cutouts.

The issue is something to do with how the alpha blending is done. I can't remember the exact setup it's supposed to be in the tree_name.texture.txt file.

Riabina, also spelled Robina is a black locust. It's related to honey locust, acacia, peas, and mimosa trees among many others. Being in the legume family, their leaves fold up at night. They're also kind of a pest too because of their numerous pods and seeds. The honey locust, with its yellow blossoms, is sterile and is used in parks.

I have a couple of locust trees in my yard. Their wood is extremely hard and the trees themselves grow quite tall and straight. Their blossoms are very fragrant and are in their full glory in May for a couple of weeks. After that, the pods appear over the summer and split in the fall as they drop tiny seeds to invade the gardens and everything else. Being related to acacia, they also have thorns on them like rose thorns that are really sharp and do really hurt. I found that out the hard way as I was clearing some saplings from my yard last year.

Last edited:
Back