Why this bridge?

JonMyrlennBailey

What might be a good purpose for having a bridge like this on any American RR line in the woods?

dnbMFiR.jpg

Last edited:
- The Environmental Protection Agency said the Deer needed a way to pass without danger from the trains?
- Bridges were on sale at the time and cheaper than fill material?
- The bridged low area is needed for flood control?
(with apologies if inappropriate - couldn't resist)

Last edited:
Since this is the prototype talk forum, is it bringing to mind a real one somewhere? Is this on a prototypical route? Otherwise, why not?

The scale looks odd to me. Compare the height of loco to height of bridge over the ground. That's a pretty low bridge. And compare to the size of the deer. Perhaps it's just the perspective of the camera?

Well, to allow wild animals, and perhaps persons hiking in the woods and hunters, to pass underneath the RR line safely. The wildlife, so as not to become isolated in pockets, but be able to migrate and mate widely. This line has barbed wire along either side to keep critters off the train track. Measured with a vertical ruler, there is about 7 feet of clearance at the center of the bridge at the support pylon. Only the tallest male Bigfoot would have to squat down to waddle underneath. Whether real American RR's actually do this for wild animals, I don't know. Some highways have various passages for wild animals. Yes, those Trainz does look too big for the bridge height. But the land actually slopes down under the bridge and these lady deer are on an incline or depression. A horseback rider might have to dismount and coax his stubborn steed under the low bridge with a bunch of carrots.

Last edited:
There is nothing objectionable: I'm just having fun here, playing games with minds of people here, inspiring imagination and creativity. After all, I built that (perhaps odd) bridge on my layout that way for a purpose. I'm quizzing folks here as to its real intended purpose.

There is nothing objectionable: I'm just having fun here, playing games with minds of people here, inspiring imagination and creativity. After all, I built that (perhaps odd) bridge on my layout that way for a purpose. I'm quizzing folks here as to its real intended purpose.
Lesson learned, ignore similar questions.:eek:

New questions.

Is there a better means for allowing safe animal passages than using a RR bridge? A culvert or pipe under the track maybe? There are pipes installed under highways to allow coyotes, cougars, bobcats and foxes to pass under. What might an American RR use instead of a bridge for this purpose? Can this method be simulated in Trainz? I want animals as large as elk and moose to be able to pass safely. If Bigfoot is too big to pass, I don't care, HE CAN JUMP THE FENCE.

UK uses cattle or sheep Creeps which can be culverts or small bridges with at least enough height and width for a cow or smaller ones for sheep. Near Porthmadog in North Wales there is a Bat bridge over the bypass on the flight path to the maternity roost of the Lesser Horseshoe Bat, supposedly to stop them getting hit by road vehicles, always seemed a bit odd to me as the road is in a cutting, but I'm not a Bat expert. :eek:

Some wild game like deer and elk will be very wary of small openings with undetermined views at the other end. It is probably better to use a bridge as you have done so visibility is maximum. While they don't particularly want to BE SEEN, they want to see what is ahead. Or, I may be full of it, and a real wildlife person will take me to task. :wave:

Whatever, this bridge appears to be over-engineered for the purpose. We cannot see what's off the right edge of the picture, which might provide some clarity could we but see it. In North America steel is deer (sorry) but wood is cheep (I'm bats.) For this application a low wooden trestle would placate the critters, elevate the track and be supplemented by whatever's necessary to the right.

:B~)

Check the DLS. I have hundreds of them, either built-in or DLS. EDIT: I might add that they all seem to be version 2.4 or 2.9, but still good I guess.

Last edited:
Three I use are:

<kuid2:63290:38073:1> Bridge Trestle std
<kuid:47092:32003> Bridge Trestlepiet1 c (should be "pier")
<kuid:47092:32005> Bridge Trestlespanner

Some small ones are are bendorsey's Ditch Crossers, e.g. <kuid2:210518:2101:2> Ditch_Crosser_1A which come in a variety of lengths.

If you have Milwaukee Road Avery-Drexel, these come with it:

<kuid2:82412:601106:1> TUME-601106-Wood-Bridge-5m-TS12
<kuid2:82412:601105:1> TUME-601105-Wood-Bridge-5m-TS12

:B~)

Back