Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why this bridge?

United States of America, Oklahoma, Lawton
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Why this bridge?

What might be a good purpose for having a bridge like this on any American RR line in the woods?

Last edited by JonMyrlennBailey; September 22nd, 2021 at 05:39 PM.
    TANE SP4 Build 105766, upgraded Aug. 2021, TS12 Build 61388, downloaded Feb. 2018, American citizen, Lawton, OK

Because it has such an interesting texture?
    T:ANE SP4 (105946), TRS19 SP3 (111951), Max 2009/2012, PhotoShop CS3
    Win10, i7 5820K, 3.3GHz, 32GB ram, GTX 980Ti, 2x512GB SSDs

- The Environmental Protection Agency said the Deer needed a way to pass without danger from the trains?
    - Bridges were on sale at the time and cheaper than fill material?
    - The bridged low area is needed for flood control?
    (with apologies if inappropriate - couldn't resist)

Last edited by 1611mac; September 22nd, 2021 at 08:51 AM.
    19 Plus-SP4; Plus-beta 114800; 19-Std SP3; Tane SP4
    Win10, GTX1060-6, SSDs: 1TB(C), 2TB(D)

Since this is the prototype talk forum, is it bringing to mind a real one somewhere? Is this on a prototypical route? Otherwise, why not?
    “We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.” - R.L.S.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JonMyrlennBailey View Post
    Why this bridge?
    If you would indicate what you find objectionable, perhaps we could provide some insight.

70337:
    TRS19 Platinum, build 110491 SP2, Win10 Pro 64 bit, i7-7700 3.6GHz 16 GB, GTX 1070 Ti

Why this bridge?
    The classic answer would be 'Why not', but I'm with 1611mac in picking that it might be a dry river bed that's important for flood control.
    Narcolepsy is not napping.

The scale looks odd to me. Compare the height of loco to height of bridge over the ground. That's a pretty low bridge. And compare to the size of the deer. Perhaps it's just the perspective of the camera?
    19 Plus-SP4; Plus-beta 114800; 19-Std SP3; Tane SP4
    Win10, GTX1060-6, SSDs: 1TB(C), 2TB(D)

Blog Entries

Well, to allow wild animals, and perhaps persons hiking in the woods and hunters, to pass underneath the RR line safely. The wildlife, so as not to become isolated in pockets, but be able to migrate and mate widely. This line has barbed wire along either side to keep critters off the train track. Measured with a vertical ruler, there is about 7 feet of clearance at the center of the bridge at the support pylon. Only the tallest male Bigfoot would have to squat down to waddle underneath. Whether real American RR's actually do this for wild animals, I don't know. Some highways have various passages for wild animals. Yes, those Trainz does look too big for the bridge height. But the land actually slopes down under the bridge and these lady deer are on an incline or depression. A horseback rider might have to dismount and coax his stubborn steed under the low bridge with a bunch of carrots.
    Last edited by JonMyrlennBailey; September 22nd, 2021 at 10:45 AM.
    TANE SP4 Build 105766, upgraded Aug. 2021, TS12 Build 61388, downloaded Feb. 2018, American citizen, Lawton, OK

Blog Entries

There is nothing objectionable: I'm just having fun here, playing games with minds of people here, inspiring imagination and creativity. After all, I built that (perhaps odd) bridge on my layout that way for a purpose. I'm quizzing folks here as to its real intended purpose.

Blog Entries

There is nothing objectionable: I'm just having fun here, playing games with minds of people here, inspiring imagination and creativity. After all, I built that (perhaps odd) bridge on my layout that way for a purpose. I'm quizzing folks here as to its real intended purpose.
    Lesson learned, ignore similar questions.

70337:
    TRS19 Platinum, build 110491 SP2, Win10 Pro 64 bit, i7-7700 3.6GHz 16 GB, GTX 1070 Ti

Blog Entries

Cool

New questions.

Is there a better means for allowing safe animal passages than using a RR bridge? A culvert or pipe under the track maybe? There are pipes installed under highways to allow coyotes, cougars, bobcats and foxes to pass under. What might an American RR use instead of a bridge for this purpose? Can this method be simulated in Trainz? I want animals as large as elk and moose to be able to pass safely. If Bigfoot is too big to pass, I don't care, HE CAN JUMP THE FENCE.

UK uses cattle or sheep Creeps which can be culverts or small bridges with at least enough height and width for a cow or smaller ones for sheep. Near Porthmadog in North Wales there is a Bat bridge over the bypass on the flight path to the maternity roost of the Lesser Horseshoe Bat, supposedly to stop them getting hit by road vehicles, always seemed a bit odd to me as the road is in a cutting, but I'm not a Bat expert.
    Malc

Some wild game like deer and elk will be very wary of small openings with undetermined views at the other end. It is probably better to use a bridge as you have done so visibility is maximum. While they don't particularly want to BE SEEN, they want to see what is ahead. Or, I may be full of it, and a real wildlife person will take me to task.
    “We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.” - R.L.S.

Blog Entries

Whatever, this bridge appears to be over-engineered for the purpose. We cannot see what's off the right edge of the picture, which might provide some clarity could we but see it. In North America steel is deer (sorry) but wood is cheep (I'm bats.) For this application a low wooden trestle would placate the critters, elevate the track and be supplemented by whatever's necessary to the right.

:B~)

Together in Trainzing!

Blog Entries

I have not been able to locate any wooden trestle for Trainz. The through steel girder bridge is overkill, indeed.