Problems converting routes to lower build number

Hi all. I have been using the TRS2019 106618 build number for quite a while now. For me, it's the most stable and it functions best.

However, in the community, people have been releasing routes that have a build number higher than 4.6, so I have edited the routes in the config to 4.6, and now, they are missing some layers in the game.

Can somebody help me to fix this problem? It would mean a lot!

Those routes will not work in earlier versions of TRS19 due to the new way of saving those routes and the functions contained in them.

After SP4 is released you are still dead in the water! Routes aren't backwards compatible, and unfortunately never will. Hence why I continue to build routes in SP1 = Build 4.6 so ALL TRS19 users can use them. I have taken one back from 4.7 to 4.6 (Pittsburg) as I knew it was worked on in 4.6 before being released as 4.7. Only 1 issue I had was the Multiple_Industry_New were faulty and yet they are build 4.5!

After SP4 is released you are still dead in the water! Routes aren't backwards compatible, and unfortunately never will. Hence why I continue to build routes in SP1 = Build 4.6 so ALL TRS19 users can use them. I have taken one back from 4.7 to 4.6 (Pittsburg) as I knew it was worked on in 4.6 before being released as 4.7. Only 1 issue I had was the Multiple_Industry_New were faulty and yet they are build 4.5!

This is true of all software. A file written in Word from MS Office 2013 is not compatible with Word in Office 97. In some cases, there are exceptions, but there are limitations associated with that such as limited formatting, or other things lost on export. Exporting to a lower version in most software, outside of Office is pretty rare anyway.

The only way issues can be resolved in future versions is to report the bugs you find. If you keep those bugs secret, then the can't be resolved by N3V, or even by the original content creator who made them in the first place if that's possible, or perhaps by the CRG who are working diligently daily at repairing and testing assets on the massive list of assets that need updating.

Taking routes back to an earlier version may help explain why some people have problems that no-one else experiences. This is a definite no-no. Even if it appears to work, I can assure you there are likely to be problems occur at some point. Simply put DO NOT DO IT.

Also, while it is true some items may not work in future versions, the majority of issues are identified prior to official release with either workarounds, code updates or content updates to resolve the incompatibility.

Many items that were once not faulty but then appear faulty in a new build are due to bug fixes that resolve a problem that was hidden in earlier builds or due to improved validation which identifies previously hidden problems. For example an asset with a horn file that never worked will now show : VE102: Failed to load sound file 'horn05.wav', please ensure this is a valid wav file.

Some problems are simply due to optimisations such as removing support for .pm file
( ! <kuid:1604:151237> : VE86: Legacy .pm files are no longer supported. Switch to using a .lm file. )

The other issues are generally due to local modifications and not related the core program.

Our choices are to not fix bugs, not improve validation and not add features or do as we are, and continually improve things. It's up to you whether to help us identify issues or complain that "things are broken" without any specifics.

Our choices are to not fix bugs, not improve validation and not add features or do as we are, and continually improve things. It's up to you whether to help us identify issues or complain that "things are broken" without any specifics.

Hmm. To some that may read the wrong way. A bit like the statement "I love cooking children and pets". Commas save lives - "I love cooking, children and pets".

I would rephrase that as:-

Our choices are to:-

• not to fix bugs
  • not improve validation
  • not add features
OR
  • do as are and continually improve things.

But, after spending many years in IT support, I agree that the lack of specific information about problems users are having is a real PITA. Often users simply do not know how to describe the problem or do not understand that without very specific details software problems can be impossible to track down.

Until TRS19 SP4 is released you are dead in the water.

When SP4 is released and the vast majority of users update to it then your route will work for them in its unmodified form. It is my understanding that SP4 is in the release candidate stage now so hopefully you won't have long to wait.

But, after spending many years in IT support, I agree that the lack of specific information about problems users are having is a real PITA. Often users simply do not know how to describe the problem or do not understand that without very specific details software problems can be impossible to track down.

Yes how many time do we see posts on the forum like, - 'My train doesn't work anymore please help,' without any further details, Trainz build or Kuid numbers.
With regard to legacy assets the most surprising thing is that so many do work just fine in the latest versions of Trainz rather than the assets that don't. I have a large collection of legacy Uk steam locomotives and if an update flags a fault that wasn't there before I find it's usually a long standing error that earlier builds took no notice of. Syntax errors in a LM file is one example I sorted out recently (with kind help from members of the Trainz community).

John's example of Word files and the various versions of MS Office is a classic and carries over well to Trainz. If the OP wants to install and run routes later than Build 4.6 then they are going to have to ring fence and back up their older version if they want to keep it and install the latest version of Trainz. I still have older versions of Trainz installed on my computer and some like Trainz Classic 3 are really nice to visit occasionally, but for everyday use it's TRS19 SP3. I kicked struggled and complained about updates for Trainz too, but in the end I had to learn to deal with it and work with the changes. Tony isn't some dark lord constantly plotting to bust our trainsets, he wants Trainz to succeed just as much as we do if not more so.

Last edited:
Yes how many time do we see posts on the forum like, - 'My train doesn't work anymore please help,' without any further details, Trainz build or Kuid numbers.
With regard to legacy assets the most surprising thing is that so many do work just fine in the latest versions of Trainz rather than the assets that don't. I have a large collection of legacy Uk steam locomotives and if an update flags a fault that wasn't there before I find it's usually a long standing error that earlier builds took no notice of. Syntax errors in a LM file is one example I sorted out recently (with kind help from members of the Trainz community).

John's example of Word files and the various versions of MS Office is a classic and carries over well to Trainz. If the OP wants to install and run routes later than Build 4.6 then they are going to have to ring fence and back up their older version if they want to keep it and install the latest version of Trainz. I still have older versions of Trainz installed on my computer and some like Trainz Classic 3 are really nice to visit occasionally, but for everyday use it's TRS19 SP3. I kicked struggled and complained about updates for Trainz too, but in the end I had to learn to deal with it and work with the changes. Tony isn't some dark lord constantly plotting to bust our trainsets, he wants Trainz to succeed just as much as we do if not more so.

Well said, thank you.

I would love to just update to the latest build and use it, I know there are many good fixes and bugs ironed out, but my issue is that The Advanced Camera is not working properly anymore due to a change to the camera behavior since SP2. The owner of the camera already submitted a bug report, and unfortunately there has been no comment on fixing the issue with his camera.

Back