Layers Indication Question?

I always put signals in the route layer. Please can you explain what the advantages of putting signals in a session layer are? I may need to try it!

An example would be where a session is being created for a different era where signal types changed over time. The classic example being semaphore signals being replaced with colour light signals.

The other question is, are there functional disadvantages of using either type of session for any type of function? Besides confusion, are there operational penalties for placing a function into the "wrong" "type" of session?

There is only one type of Session where you can place functions, the ones you create in Surveyor. "Driver Sessions", which you save in Driver, cannot be edited.

An example would be where a session is being created for a different era where signal types changed over time. The classic example being semaphore signals being replaced with colour light signals.

Another example: You need another signal somewhere to make a session (presumably AI) work properly. And you do not want to change the underlying route.

I often put track marks in a session layer if they will only be relevant in that session. It would also work if they were in the route but I find it to be less messy to keep session things together. Then when the session is deleted, all of its parts are gone too.

I often put track marks in a session layer if they will only be relevant in that session. It would also work if they were in the route but I find it to be less messy to keep session things together. Then when the session is deleted, all of its parts are gone too.

They also are gone from any new session that you create (assuming you do not clone it).

They also are gone from any new session that you create (assuming you do not clone it).

Naturally, each session is stand-alone, so nothing should carry over to any newly created sessions. I could continue modifying it but if I wanted to continue or expand an existing session without changing it, of course it would be cloned.

Yes, good point.

But, would this not be better suited to using route layers that are turned on and off in the relevant session? I've not tried it, would this mean that the functionality of both sets of signals would work - with predictably chaotic results - or is one set of signals turned off completely in an invisible layer?

Yes, good point.

But, would this not be better suited to using route layers that are turned on and off in the relevant session? I've not tried it, would this mean that the functionality of both sets of signals would work - with predictably chaotic results - or is one set of signals turned off completely in an invisible layer?

You asked why some of us put things in the session layer. Now you are questioning the answers. You don't have to use the session placement if its not your cup of tea. But anyway, yes, the signals can be bound to an invisible layer, at least in the versions I use.

I periodically create sessions for routes uploaded by someone else. Philskene, for example. You might enjoy checking out my sessions. Thus. I cannot change the route in any way. Every jot and tiddle must be in sessions. If one knows what they are doing, this sort of thing is quite rewarding.

Last edited:
Yes, good point.

Imagine setting up two sessions, one say for 1910 and the other for 1950. While the signals may have been upgraded to more modern types there would also be signage changes, changes to railway buildings and/or railway building's paint schemes & etc. And of course the locomotives and rolling stock would have changed with time as well. Now the basic route remains the same, - though I have seen trackwork changes also put into a session, - and the sessions are used to alter the appearance of the route with the passing of time. It's something that I've only brushed the surface of myself, but I would like to give it a proper tryout sometime.

Imagine setting up two sessions, one say for 1910 and the other for 1950. While the signals may have been upgraded to more modern types there would also be signage changes, changes to railway buildings and/or railway building's paint schemes & etc. And of course the locomotives and rolling stock would have changed with time as well. Now the basic route remains the same, - though I have seen trackwork changes also put into a session, - and the sessions are used to alter the appearance of the route with the passing of time. It's something that I've only brushed the surface of myself, but I would like to give it a proper tryout sometime.

I have moved away from trackwork attached to the existing trackage in a session because of intermittent connection problems. Sometimes it works. Too iffy for uploading, IMHO.

I have moved away from trackwork attached to the existing trackage in a session because of intermittent connection problems. Sometimes it works. Too iffy for uploading, IMHO.

I'm a bit doubtful about doing it as well even though I have seen it done on a couple of layouts. I might try it where sidings have been changed from one time period to another, but certainly not on running lines.

In the early days of Trainz, just after layers were introduced (TRS2004 or TRS2006), I did some experiments with placing different track assets in different layers which could be hidden or shown using the Hide/Show Rule and a similar driver command. It had major problems, for example AI trains using the hidden track because it was shorter (and while the effect looked amusing it was hardly "prototypical") but that was using layers, not Sessions.

I then did a few experiments with different track assets in different sessions, specifically a spur line and junction in a Session instead of the Route. Like pitkin I found that it was a bit erratic in its reliablility but I suppose that it could work in some situations but track and junctions did not seem to be one of those situations.

My thoughts.

Back