Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Layers Indication Question?

United States of America, Colorado, Colorado Springs

By the way, there are not multiple usages of "sessions" in the context of "layout related" assets. If you peruse the CM, you will see three types:

Route
    Session
    Saved Game.

The confusion arises frominternal loose (or lack of) usage of the terms in forum posts. You may see the word "Session" appear in the Layers menu of surveyor, but it is only an internal classification of layers.
    Platinum 2019 Build 111951; 2019 SP1 Build 105096; TANE SP4 Build 105766
    I7-8700K; 1070Ti; Z370

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pitkin View Post
    By the way, there are not multiple usages of "sessions" in the context of "layout related" assets. If you peruse the CM, you will see three types:

Route
    Session
    Saved Game
    I have to disagree. While I have been "guilty" of using the term "Saved Game" in forum posts in the past, a check of TRS19 (Trainz Plus) itself will reveal that it uses the term "Driver Session".

So I would state that TRS19 has the following usage

Route
    Session
    Driver Session

Also, if you use CM and its Routes & Sessions filter, you will see..

...where Driver Sessions are listed as Type "Misc".
    Last edited by pware; September 20th, 2021 at 05:03 PM.
    Trainz Plus build 114800 (SP4)
    Trainz Simulator 3 (Mobile)

I know this has all been said before but to clarify and summarise :-
    To edit a route select the route and select edit - straight forward.

To edit session (or create), select route but do not open. Select sessions, and select edit or create session. This will obviously open the route but you will be in the session layer. Work on your session. Given the confusion that many of us have, DO NoT choose to edit or fiddle with the route from here even though you can.

In other words, keep the two separate at all times, do not change layers unless you actually know what you're doing. As for editing a route, it will frequently on saving, ask to save a default session. Do NOT do so or you will end up with a dozen or more default sessions. Hope this helps.
    Working on Trainz.

Blog Entries

All that Alikiwi has stated above, very wisely and succinctly I might add, can be found in great detail on the Trainz Wiki at https://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/...Session_Basics

@pware I have to disagree. While I have been "guilty" of using the term "Saved Game" in forum posts in the past, a check of TRS19 (Trainz Plus) itself will reveal that it uses the term "Driver Session".

My CM shows "Saved Games". I think the important thing to take away is there are only three types of assets in this context that have a KUID.

Routes
    Sessions
    Saved Games/(Driver Sessions)

there are no "secret" kuids somewhere. If you save something in Driver, it is presumably NOT either of the first 2 above.
    I7-8700K; 1070Ti; Z370

I often put signals and scenery items like trees and buildings into a session layer.Also rules and driver commands.
    There are also advantages, or I would not do it.
    I always put signals in the route layer. Please can you explain what the advantages of putting signals in a session layer are? I may need to try it!
    Mountains, Sea, Islands and Steam Trains from my living-room window!
    What more could anybody want?

TRS2019 Build 114800

Quote Originally Posted by davidbird View Post
    I always put signals in the route layer. Please can you explain what the advantages of putting signals in a session layer are? I may need to try it!
    An example would be where a session is being created for a different era where signal types changed over time. The classic example being semaphore signals being replaced with colour light signals.
    Narcolepsy is not napping.

United States of America, Pennsylvania, Murrysville

The other question is, are there functional disadvantages of using either type of session for any type of function? Besides confusion, are there operational penalties for placing a function into the "wrong" "type" of session?
    Dick near Pittsburgh, Pa. i5-2500K 4.2ghz, 8gb memory, GTX1060 3gb video card. 111951 & 114800

Blog Entries

There is only one type of Session where you can place functions, the ones you create in Surveyor. "Driver Sessions", which you save in Driver, cannot be edited.

post withdrawn -
    Last edited by 1611mac; September 22nd, 2021 at 07:41 AM.
    19 Plus-SP4; Plus-beta 114800; 19-Std SP3; Tane SP4
    Win10, GTX1060-6, SSDs: 1TB(C), 2TB(D)

Quote Originally Posted by KotangaGirl View Post
    An example would be where a session is being created for a different era where signal types changed over time. The classic example being semaphore signals being replaced with colour light signals.

Another example: You need another signal somewhere to make a session (presumably AI) work properly. And you do not want to change the underlying route.
    I7-8700K; 1070Ti; Z370

Blog Entries

I often put track marks in a session layer if they will only be relevant in that session. It would also work if they were in the route but I find it to be less messy to keep session things together. Then when the session is deleted, all of its parts are gone too.

70337:
    TRS19 Platinum, build 110491 SP2, Win10 Pro 64 bit, i7-7700 3.6GHz 16 GB, GTX 1070 Ti

Quote Originally Posted by martinvk View Post
    I often put track marks in a session layer if they will only be relevant in that session. It would also work if they were in the route but I find it to be less messy to keep session things together. Then when the session is deleted, all of its parts are gone too.

They also are gone from any new session that you create (assuming you do not clone it).
    I7-8700K; 1070Ti; Z370

Blog Entries

They also are gone from any new session that you create (assuming you do not clone it).
    Naturally, each session is stand-alone, so nothing should carry over to any newly created sessions. I could continue modifying it but if I wanted to continue or expand an existing session without changing it, of course it would be cloned.

70337:
    TRS19 Platinum, build 110491 SP2, Win10 Pro 64 bit, i7-7700 3.6GHz 16 GB, GTX 1070 Ti

Quote Originally Posted by KotangaGirl View Post
    Yes, good point.

But, would this not be better suited to using route layers that are turned on and off in the relevant session? I've not tried it, would this mean that the functionality of both sets of signals would work - with predictably chaotic results - or is one set of signals turned off completely in an invisible layer?
    Mountains, Sea, Islands and Steam Trains from my living-room window!
    What more could anybody want?

TRS2019 Build 114800