Wait For Trigger command issues

JonMyrlennBailey

[h=2][/h]
Besides Any Train, there is a limited number of engines (43 to be exact) listed on the dropdown which can trigger it. One or more of the engines (including a C&O K-4) I need to trigger it are not listed. Any fix for this?

If I add one or more NYC J-3 Hudsons to the route, at least one of them is listed on the dropdown. If I add a dozen K-4's to the route, the Wait For Trigger loco selection dropdown menu recognizes none of them.​

The limit is probably related to a timeout condition. It's a case of just one locomotive too many puts things over the edge.

The timeout condition was introduced in TANE to mitigate some of the truly awful stutters and huge pauses we used to get in TS12 and below. There's a tradeoff as you've seen where we can load up as much as we want in TS12, but end up running a slide-show, while in TANE and up we're limited to the number of locomotives and everything runs smoother.

My answer is pick your poison carefully.

Well, John, TANE SP4 seems to play favorites when setting up engines for the Wait For Trigger command. I can choose Any Train or one of 43 specific listed locos to activate the trigger in question on the drop down. If I have 200 locos on my route, the dropdown is not going to offer each and every one of those engines as a trigger engine option. I wanted to select my ALCO K-4 to activate a specific trigger to summon the helper engine out of the pocket to give the steam engine a boost up a grade, but that flagship C&O steam engine for TANE was not even offered on the list. The dropdown did seem to list every last Kenworth prime mover (truck tractor), all 15 of them I have on my layout. Why the selection menu gave preference to road truck "loco" content, I have not a clue. The K-4 was the last engine placed on route, I must have at least 100 drivable vehicles, so the dropdown may only list the first 43 engines added to the route.

So, you guessed it, I had to go back into Surveyor and erase a number of engines (all the drivable Kenworth tractors and some of the Black Widow locos, those which TANE likes to list especially) off the route to finally get the K-4 to show up on the dropdown. Erasing some "game favored" locos freed up the dropdown for the K-4 to be added and some other engines, including the SP SD40T-2-13 (13th instance of that particular engine model on the route, how I do love my tunnel motors) I wanted to also be a trigger engine, that weren't previously listed to boot. Once I set up the desired K-4 with the Wait for Trigger, I could go back and add all those other engines to the route again. Kind of a hassle, indeed.

Yes, if you want to set up the Wait For Trigger on your new route/session, it's best to add the specific locos that will participate in that command first. The Wait For Trigger command was something I only discovered later on after my route/session was well into development. I need that command to run my helper loco routine which was an afterthought during route development. I tend to install a lot of traincars near the beginning of a new route/session build.

TS 12 a Driver slide show, indeed! TANE not so bad with my $300 GeForce 1650 card even in heavy 3D tree forests. There is still some "camera shake" (fish-biting effects in moving graphics) however. I have tens of thousands of Auran pines and hemlocks over my layout thanks to the Copy/Paste feature in Tools tab. Copy/Paste can turn a small square grove of static trees into something of 3D "speed trees". You can cover ground fast buy laying down square sections of forest over flat ground. You can lay down small ground squares of trees or big ones. I use the Pacific Northwest as my route landscaping theme.

Last edited:
You should look at the CommWithTTable driver command by atilabarut. It is loco independent and only requires setup of messages in the inputTable rule by
atilabrarut.

The Current Wait for trigger(v10) on the DLS is limited
and greys out on big routes

Made an oldschool version in January that can handle up to 77000 items
items being: triggers*loco's
so hope you dont have too many triggers in use
also all ATLS triggers are filtered out from the selection menu
give it a try. its simply called "Wait For Trigger 2"

greetings GM

The Current Wait for trigger(v10) on the DLS is limited
and greys out on big routes

Made an oldschool version in January that can handle up to 77000 items
items being: triggers*loco's
so hope you dont have too many triggers in use
also all ATLS triggers are filtered out from the selection menu
give it a try. its simply called "Wait For Trigger 2"

greetings GM

Hi,

i tried your "Wait for Trigger 2" but it didn´t work for me. I make some testing on simple session, where I have a few trains. First I try original Wait for trigger, set the route for first train to go on some trigger, then I set the second train which is waiting for this trigger from first train, and it works. So I change original Wait for trigger for your "Wait for Trigger 2", make same setup and it doesn´t do anything, the second train is still waiting for actively trigger from the first train. So could you tell my how to set up this Wait for Trigger 2 ? Or could you make some video to show me how it works ?

Thanks a lot

DunCon

Hi, GM

Iam sorry to report that your Wait for Trigger v2 will not function in ver 114400.
It will take instructions , but will not work.
BTW, Iam illiterate in scripting and must rely of the community for new commands.

Dave

Back