TRS19 SP4 Release Candidate 114400

Will there be anything done with the trees? It looks terrible, especially in sunny times. I want the screenshots and the game to look nice, but it turns out ugly ...

{pic removed from quote}

That would be up to the content-creator to come up with "better" trees. There are settings, however, within the program its self under settings, not the performance tab in the Launcher, that allow you to control the tree quality. Keep in mind that the higher the details with the trees may affect your performance especially in driver.

So I've installed the new patch but I'm still getting lag whenever I start playing the game whenever I enter a route. How do I fix this?

Most likely you've chosen different performance settings. The solution is to try out various combinations such as Shaders > Std, Shadows Low or Off, reduce draw distance and scenery sliders etc

Most likely you've chosen different performance settings. The solution is to try out various combinations such as Shaders > Std, Shadows Low or Off, reduce draw distance and scenery sliders etc
So I've tried what you said and it still keeps giving me lag. Any other advice you could offer?

James005 - There's always a performance hit on first load of any route or session following a patch.
The game engine spends time caching textures and other assets for each route/ session on first-run. Performance impacts are quite normal/ noticeable during this initialisation process.
Are you saying this lagging is happening after opening up and running the same session/ route for the 2nd or third runs?
Suggest use TrainzUtil.exe and the command 'prebuild' after any beta patch installation to pre-cache your UserData assets content. Prebuild (caching assets) takes about 4 minutes to complete on my rig, but the benefits are much faster initial loading times and less lagging during game runtime afterwards.

James005 - There's always a performance hit on first load of any route or session following a patch.
The game engine spends time caching textures and other assets for each route/ session on first-run. Performance impacts are quite normal/ noticeable during this initialisation process.
Are you saying this lagging is happening after opening up and running the same session/ route for the 2nd or third runs?
Suggest use TrainzUtil.exe and the command 'prebuild' after any beta patch installation to pre-cache your UserData assets content. Prebuild (caching assets) takes about 4 minutes to complete on my rig, but the benefits are much faster initial loading times and less lagging during game runtime afterwards.
Yes, the lagging is happening after opening up and running the same session/route for a 2nd or third time.
Okay, I'll give that a try

The animation speed of bogies is still incorrect in DCC/AI mode, most obvious at steam locomotives. The animation is running at about twice the correct speed. In CAB mode the speed correct.

Peter
Hi Peter
I have tested this with a few different locos (C&O Kanawha, USRA Light Pacific, and a few of my VR steam locos) and I couldn't see any obvious difference. This included running two copies of the C&O Kanawha side by size at approximately the same speed, at about 5MPH and they appeared to be roughly the same wheel speed; the DCC one may have been ever so slightly faster (possibly about 1/8 of a wheel rotation more than the the loco bring driven in CAB mode), but this may also have been an inconsistency in speed.

If you can provide a specific loco that shows it most obviously, it would greatly help with looking into this.

It's worth noting that spoked wheels can cause the wagon wheel effect in various ways, and this can make them appear to be spinning much faster than they actually are in some cases.

Could you also please provide me with the current configuration of your performance and video settings. You can find these in three places:

The first is the Vertical Sync setting (if on a Windows computer; if you are using Mac then skip this one), which you can access by double clicking on the Trainz icon on your desktop, then click on Trainz Settings. You should then see the 'vertical sync' setting shown, can you please tell me what this is set to?

The second is the Performance Settings; with the Trainz Settings still open, click on the 'performance' tab and you will then see the performance settings. Could you please tell me what each setting is set to?

The third is the video settings. To access these, click on 'Start Trainz' on the launcher screen, then click on the 'system menu' or 'main menu' at the top left on the top toolbar, then click on 'settings'. You should then see the 'video settings' shown, could you please tell me what each setting is set to?

Regards

That would be up to the content-creator to come up with "better" trees. There are settings, however, within the program its self under settings, not the performance tab in the Launcher, that allow you to control the tree quality. Keep in mind that the higher the details with the trees may affect your performance especially in driver.
These are trees and stand there at maximum quality

@ZecMurphy
A map and session used for testing is available as AnimTest.zip. There are 3 different steam locomotives in the session. All dependencies, except one locomotive, should be built-in, in a standard package or at the DLS. The zip file includes a cdp for the map and session, a cdp for the locomotive, and a ReadMe.txt with the additional informations.

Peter

I'm still having issues

Last edited:
I did what you said and gave it a try and it worked for a bit but now it's starting to lag again whenever I enter a route or session now. What do I do? P.S Sorry about the double reply.

Last edited:
Hi Tony & related N3V fellows

I would just like to say that I've used Trainz since 2003 and 19 is easily the best version I've owned and I've never enjoyed Trainz more.

I updated my stream to the SP4 beta build the other night and since then have been completely unable to use the <- menu on the bottom right in Driver to change settings like lights/couplers/pantographs. I have circled the menu I'm referring to in pink and I am totally unable to click it. I have tried multiple routes, multiple locos and using Unified Driver/Surveyor as well as launching straight into Driver and can not click it. I wish I could give you more info but that's all I've got unfortunately.

On the positive side, I've learnt a lot of keyboard shortcuts in the last couple of days :eek:

Looking forward to a fix and what the future brings in Trainz - especially Surveyor 2.0

Cheers
Jamie

VR_E_not_work.jpg

Thanks for the kind words - we agree. (But not for long as the "next" version will be the best ever!)

Strange, working fine here and no other reports. Perhaps it's loco specific? Try resizing your window? Does it work in DCC mode?

In reply to H22, your clicking the wrong thing. You should be clicking on the three dots immediately below to switch from current driver mode to the next. You currently have the second driver mode selected (in yellow). Clicking again will take it to follow any orders given, and clicking again with take it back to the first, simple driving mode.

In reply to H22, your clicking the wrong thing. You should be clicking on the three dots immediately below to switch from current driver mode to the next.

Actually, he is referring to the triangle "button" that shows and hides the control icons (coupler, headlight, horn, etc) when clicked. This is working perfectly on my copy of Trainz Plus. I suspect that the problem may be something to do with his screen resolution settings (or similar).

Ha.. I've had '19 ever since Early Release and I've never once noticed that little triangle! But I do run with the interface height rather small, so it's pretty tiny. Mine works fine too.

Back