suggestions for low impact Locos preferably steam

johnwhelan

Integrated graphics are getting more powerful. Intel series 4000 has a 3d score score of 332, IRIS XE 2,868 which is sneaking up there. We might even be able to run speedtrees on them soon.

Rolling stock the 17_5 is probably still the lowest impact but the steam tram at 2,184 polys is a bit limiting. With all the extra processing power we should be able to run one or two more interesting locos.

Any suggestions?

Thanks John

Hi John

In addition to my main rig, I run TANE on a Surface tablet that's a few years old now. i5 processor, 8GB RAM, Intel HD 620 graphics. Definitely not a gaming machine by any standards but I get acceptable framerates on my Porchester to Bull's Well route with suitably low graphics settings and locos of modern standards. The two locos in the screenshot weigh in at 74k polys for the 31 and 101k polys for the 47 (the latter has yet to be optimised with LOD) and the gameplay is acceptably smooth IMO.
My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

Not really a suggestion for locos, but my advice is to try things out and be ambitious- the hardware may surprise you.

Cheers

R3

The 620 weighs in at 888 on the 3D score so a considerable improvement on the series 4000.

Diesels I think are normally less impact than steam, the bogies are simpler for a start.

Thanks for the input.

Cheerio John

As a route builder as apposed to driver you can get away with a lower spec machine anyway but I found the biggest crunch when T:ANE was released was not the graphic power but the amount of graphic memory required. I'm not sure anything has got much cheaper but as even the basic machines today frequently have sufficient graphic memory to support T:ANE/TRS19, on the condition you accept the limitation of such hardware running Trainz is still a viable option. Peter

Back