Which version of TRS19 is better for me?

peeet2005

And I am going to ask you a little question. Why is there no where to download the TRS19 SP1 version? Why do you forcibly make users happy who prefer to run on SP1 and not on SP3 or SP4?
I would be grateful if you could download it

Why is there no where to download the TRS19 SP1 version? Why do you forcibly make users [un]happy who prefer to run on SP1 and not on SP3 or SP4?

I do not believe that Microsoft still allows users to download and install earlier versions of Windows from their Microsoft Store. I am happy to be proven wrong but I just checked and could only find Windows 7 download information on 3rd party web sites that were dated 5 years ago.

The main problem with allowing users to download earlier versions of software is providing support for what is now an obsolete product. The only support that N3V would be obliged to provide would be the SP updates to bring SP1 upto SP3. Another problem, probably minor these days, would be storage of the "legacy versions" and the confusion it would cause for users.

My favourite (and regularly updated) free software packages, GIMP and Notepad++, provide the current version and a development version (i.e. a beta) for downloading. They don't, as far as I can see, provide a copies of last years versions for downloading.

My opinions.

The only way to avoid using a new version would have been to backup the original installer if it was a full off line one or if digital download backup the TRS19 folder immediately after installing it and keep it somewhere safe, as in on an external drive. Then it's just a case of copying it back and if it's on a new PC or you have re-installed the OS, just redo the shortcut and file associations, the rest of the registry entries are created when you start Trainz.
First rule of computing is always backup.

I consider the "heart" of Trainz (Driving) to be the routes and sessions. Later versions of TRS19 are not backward compatible. How would you feel if you came across a thread where everyone was in amazment at the freeware route someone just posted and made with SP3. With that new copy of SP1 you have you wouldn't be able to run it. If you don't drive and you create, then yes, you may absolutely prefer SP1. But N3V isn't going to sell a version that won't run new routes. It's up to you to keep a copy of a full installer.

Except TRS19 SP1 is still same as SP3, it's TRS19 just a slightly updated one. That's same as Win 10 versus Win 10, again different build number except Win 10 wouldn't refuse to recognise an earlier build number. Same old argument, they should be backwards compatible in the SAME version of the game called TRS19, but given issues with each SP breaking things I can understand the changes are so significant that a higher build number becomes necessary. I just hope they don't make this mistake again with TRS23 or whatever the next one is. That said, I work exclusively in SP1, but I have a copy of SP3 only to check things and to upload to DLC (if I ever sort that one).

Unfortunately as said, if you don't have a copy of the off-line installer then you're stuck with SP3 I guess.

Except TRS19 SP1 is still same as SP3, it's TRS19 just a slightly updated one. That's same as Win 10 versus Win 10, again different build number except Win 10 wouldn't refuse to recognise an earlier build number. Same old argument, they should be backwards compatible in the SAME version of the game called TRS19, but given issues with each SP breaking things I can understand the changes are so significant that a higher build number becomes necessary. I just hope they don't make this mistake again with TRS23 or whatever the next one is. That said, I work exclusively in SP1, but I have a copy of SP3 only to check things and to upload to DLC (if I ever sort that one).

Unfortunately as said, if you don't have a copy of the off-line installer then you're stuck with SP3 I guess.

Agreed... TRS19 should all be backward compatible. Sadly... that's not reality.

For me, a Mac user, SP3 was a massive increase in frame rates, and graphics I'm able to turn on now. SP3 is where they optimized for Metal and added Apple Silicon Macs. It is a joy seeing water effects. I will not go back to anything below Trainz2019 SP3.

Agreed... TRS19 should all be backward compatible. Sadly... that's not reality.

One solution would be to call each SP update a new version, so TRS19 SP1 would become TRS20, TRS19 SP2 would become TRS21, etc. We would have to wait until next year for TRS22 (the equivalent of TRS19 SP3).

This would mean a new version every year that we would have to buy but you could choose to stay with previous releases if you preferred, but don't expect much if any support. Plus we would have to wait a year for major fixes, which would become irrelevant anyway because it would be a new version. In other words, Trainz would become like EA's Basketball Game Series.

I prefer the current system with the free SP updates sometimes (even often) breaking backwards compatibility.

My opinions.

I consider the "heart" of Trainz (Driving) to be the routes and sessions. Later versions of TRS19 are not backward compatible. How would you feel if you came across a thread where everyone was in amazment at the freeware route someone just posted and made with SP3. With that new copy of SP1 you have you wouldn't be able to run it. If you don't drive and you create, then yes, you may absolutely prefer SP1. But N3V isn't going to sell a version that won't run new routes. It's up to you to keep a copy of a full installer.
Funny you mention that. I have just uploaded a route to the DLS that has spent hundreds of hours in production in SP3. No issues building in that version. I may be biased, but I reckon this is a route worth the upgrade to SP3..:)

Which version of TRS19 is better for me?

Well, IMHO, TS2019 Platinum Edition SP3 111951. I've personally had less problems with this build, than I had in TS2019 SP1. (others might have experienced something different). I think a lot depends on how far you are pushing the envelope, especially in how complex'ed you are making your TS2019 Sessions...

I'm looking forward to the FINAL Public Release of SP4, when it's ready for "prime time"...

Cheers, Mac...

Last edited:
To get "back on track", the best version of TRS19 for me was the Platinum Edition, until I recently upgraded to Trainz Plus. I have not had any problems with either version. They had (in the case of PE) and have (in the case of Trainz Plus) handled everything that I have thrown at them with ease. Currently testing Trainz Plus SP4 beta and have had no problems.

Trainz Plus is, of course, a subscription version, while TRS19 PE is outright purchase. I appreciate that subscription software is not for everyone.

I think some of you are right that I might have a problem with using the new game features when using SP1. I am aware of this, of course, and agree with it. I don't count on any help from N3V. And the main reason here is the incompatibility of the part of the rolling stock that no longer works under SP2 and above. There was a wide discussion about it, and you probably heard about it. I am not interested in American or Australian rolling stock and I prefer Polish. Why, please guess. After all, as standard, the TRS19 is also joined by locomotives or carriages created for TS2006! It's a failure. I visit the UK quite often and I know what trains run there today. However, I have not met such current models anywhere, and probably Polish creators will not make them. For what they do are of the highest level and they are available for free! It is similar with routes.
Wracając jednak do meritum sprawy, słaby przykład z wersjami na Windowsa. Jest to system i ma swoje prawa, ale chyba nie jest tajemnicą, że na świecie wciąż istnieją tysiące komputerów z XP. a może nawet tylko z MS DOS. Istnieje jednak wiele programów narzędziowych, które od czasu do czasu mają również nowsze wersje. Ale żaden ich producent nie zmusza użytkowników do kupowania najnowszych. A wielu użytkowników korzysta ze starszych wersji, ponieważ one wystarczają. Przecież nawet Microsoft nie zabrania mi używania MS Worda w wersji 2000! A nawet najnowsze wersje pozwalają na zapisywanie w starym formacie.
I jeszcze jedna rzecz, o której chyba już poruszyłem. Dlaczego N3V każe kupować ponownie wersję Platinum z tymi, które mają standard, a nie pozwala - za dodatkową opłatą, na uaktualnienie tego, co już mają? Nie chcę też płacić za Trainz Plus co miesiąc, bo są to z czasem duże kwoty.
Oczywiście na własny użytek mam dwie wersje TRS19 i jedną aktualizuję na bieżąco, a drugą pozostałam na SP1 i to jest ta, z której korzystam najczęściej.

What version is best for you, depends on what you do
Here I use 2 versions side by side
Build 100240 most used dayly, here I create and test content, do route/session building
SP1 removed, it broke bulk asset spline replace, and hid undo
SP2 removed, it broke splines, too slow over the top main menu
Build 111951 just to test, broke physics, super-elevation, turntables and has weird sliders I don't want
it moves very smooth between trains, that I like

Main thing is to find a version that annoys you least and let you have fun
agree if a user wants older software it should be possible
(I keep my 20 year old car and 60 year old wife hahaha)

Back