Buried Engines

boleyd

What is the latest process to remove buried cars and engines. I have 2 underground. I do not want to butcher a working route to exhume them. Or, is it better to just ignore them?

Last edited:
I'm also curious on this one. I've got a loco that's been buried out in a field for many years. You can probably guess what I've done about it.

Bob Pearson

Have you tried turning off the ground textures temporarily by enablling 'Wireframe Mode' in Surveyor (in other words, makes the ground textures invisible with just the grid showing it's 'mesh' and allowing you to see anything hidden underneath?)? This is how I managed to finally get to some scenery items I had accidentally buried and couldn't get out otherwise (it's a long story involving a crossing signal with an annoying ringing bell I won't go into). I'm not sure how Wireframe Mode is accessed in 2019 but in 2010 it was a button on the task bar at the top of the interface in Surveyor near the Main Menu button, the button had a grid on it.

Clicking the Wireframe Mode button turns off (hides) ground textures (while leaving all track, scenery items and trains on the route, and the grid still showing landform features), and allows you to highlight any buried items and remove or deleting them in the relevant Surveyor section. Clicking the Wireframe Mode button again brings the ground textures back as they were. It's a handy option to remember when things inadvertently get buried underground for whatever reason or because Trainz has decided to muck around with your route. ;)

Wireframe is in the tool bar at the top of the screen. White Rectangle.

Now for the good part. I clicked on it and the track and a coal mine were all that was remaining! That was correct. BUT, there were no consists. Looked under ground and from above. Based on that I am not sure I would use that setting in a nice new yard with lots of "things". I do not see anything missing on the route.

THANKS for the tip.....

As Jack Nicholson said: I AM BACK! The buried consists only appear in a search when in a Session. Seems to make sense. So, my little graveyard remains. If it does not cause any other issues "leave em buried". But does it cause issues? I have some issues with a session that blows an engine horn for two events. It works. Shut down and restart later and the horn will not sound. I'll blame it on the ghosts of the buried.

Last edited:
I've run delete missing assets with good luck with this issue. Just back up everything prior to running this just in case things do what bulls don't like to do.

The most drastic cleaning(only if you know exact what vehicle):
-make a backup of that vehicle to .cdp
-delete it in CM (if payware/built-in) then disable it
-open session and do delete missing assets
-save
-readd the saved .cdp, or enable the payware/built-in

I am at the Delete Missing Assets point. I used it a few years ago but now I cannot find the command??

Good evening, or afternoon, or morning !
the key to toggle in wireframe view is [F9]
By the way your buried loco make me think of the novel by Stephen King The tommyknockers....
Beware !

Last edited:
It was very evident. The top left 3 bar symbol did not lead to Deleting Missing Assets. But in the main menu was the link. Given the gravity of its use, I expected it to be buried someplace. Perhaps in earlier versions it was at the "3 bar" directed location".

I did check 111951 Beta and it remains in the main menu. The route/sessions survived.

Thanks for your help.

Back