Thread: Atrium Roof at Union Station Toronto

Default Atrium Roof at Union Station Toronto

I am looking on the DLS for an atrium-style platform roof similar to that at Union Station at Toronto. You can see it in top view on Google Maps. Unfortunately I have not been able to see a side view on StreetView, but a view from underneath is in the wikipedia article.

From wikipedia: "The central portion of the original trainshed, totaling 30,000 square metres (320,000 square feet), was removed and replaced with a glass atrium. The structure floats above the tracks, and allows daylight to reach the platforms".

Let me know if anyone has seen this on the DLS. Thanks.

Last edited by schweitzerdude; September 13th, 2021 at 05:48 PM.

Sorry I don't have an answer, but you can get a little bit more 3D view from Google Earth, as opposed t Google Maps Satellite view.
    “We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.” - R.L.S.

Very nice pic - thanks

This is the best I can find of the glass roof.

Bill
    Bill (USN, Retired) Into computers over 58 years - Trainzer since: 2003
    ID: 202442
    T:ANE (SP4) OR TRS2019 (111951)

Thank for the pic. I wonder if the long-term plan is to remove all of the platform roof to replace with this style.

Good question. I bet the station has a web page. If they do, you could ask them what their plans are. They might not answer because of security, but one never knows. I zoomed in close so the underside was visible. You can find the same spot by going into Google maps, locating the little traffic circle immediately to the South, and going into street view there.

Bill
    Bill (USN, Retired) Into computers over 58 years - Trainzer since: 2003
    ID: 202442
    T:ANE (SP4) OR TRS2019 (111951)

There is a set of glass/steel framed station roof splines on the DLS that are almost exact for that type of roof, made by I believe a European Trainzer (a station on a route I'm making has a similar 'space frame' glass roof to that), alas, the file names for the splines are written in a foreign language and I can't even remember the name of the content creator who made them! (I only came across them by accident in the Japan screenshots thread a number of years ago where someone posted a screenshot with them in and others enquired about it.).

I tried searching through Content Manager but I couldn't find them, so I'll have to look deeper (in Surveyor) and note down their file names so I can search for them properly in CMP/on the DLS, so just hang in there! I'll hopefully have an update soon.

EDIT: After a bit of searching I found the splines easy enough in Surveyor. They're all labelled 'Overkapping' followed by an identifying letter and a spline length in meters, and are made by martinvk, so a search under his name on the DLS should turn them up easy enough.

Hopefully this has helped.
    Last edited by Enkidoh; September 15th, 2021 at 08:52 AM.

[QUOTE
    Hopefully this has helped. [/QUOTE]

I looked at all of these and there is one barrel-vaulted one that I could use. The rest are for individual platforms but have potential. Having a transparent roof allows one to see the trains in the station more easily.

Thanks to everyone who commented.