Computer issues stops virtual railroading.

UP5521

Tidewater Western owner
Of all of the worst of bad news, I am already tired but now very angry so, I will be temporary out of commission due in part to my Dell laptop and possibly Microsoft's bad updates oh and I just forgot the awful blue screen of death, I tried the built-in PC repair and restarting, both are no dice,
prior starting up ,so until either the issue is resolved, or in the worst case a new computer.

Last edited:
Hi,
Sorry to hear you problem:-
Can you get a win 10 repair download onto a USB stick? ( Another pc, friend etc?)
Then use the bios settings to boot from the usb?

Colin

Nope, thanks, though, tried using the command prompt under the windows tools setting in a failed attempt to fix it but it did not work, my only option at this point now is a new laptop, all of the steam engines, rolling stock and others are on the failed system and most likely gone, again, thanks Microsoft for bricking it and a flawed windows product!

Last edited:
Nope, thanks, though, tried using the command prompt under the windows tools setting in a failed attempt to fix it but it did not work, my only option at this point now is a new laptop, all of the steam engines, rolling stock and others are on the failed system and most likely gone, again, thanks Microsoft for bricking it and a flawed windows product!

You can get a USB adapter which you can plug in your hard drive and extract the files that way. If you have a Microsoft account on the machine then I'd try dropping in a new hard drive or SSD. Use https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10 to get an ISO image which can be used to reinstall Windows 10. https://www.crucial.com/catalog/accessories you want the
Crucial Easy Laptop Data Transfer Cable for 2.5-inch SSDs

Post in parts and labour.
Cheerio John

I hope we have a Linux (Even though Mac is based off of the Linux kernel, it's still, in my eyes, not Linux) version of TRS waiting in the background somewhere, I'd ditch Windows any time if Trainz was on Linux!

I hope we have a Linux (Even though Mac is based off of the Linux kernel, it's still, in my eyes, not Linux) version of TRS waiting in the background somewhere, I'd ditch Windows any time if Trainz was on Linux!

The same can occur with Linux so there's no panacea here. Back in my IT days, I worked with the Solaris administrator to rebuild a Sun server because the supposedly live update process was supposed to work fine and it didn't. As always, backups were my friend. Once we had the OS up and running, I untarred the data and repopulated the data folders. Being more than a few gigs, this took longer than the server rebuild.

Windows 10 on my Acer computer last April of 2020 had to be reinstalled after my pc was stuck on automatic repair loop but the good thing is that I had both TANE & Trainz 19 backed up on an external HDD

Thanks for understanding, guys, don't worry, I'll be back hopefully soon once I get a new laptop with a faster processor and more storage space

You can get a USB adapter which you can plug in your hard drive and extract the files that way. If you have a Microsoft account on the machine then I'd try dropping in a new hard drive or SSD. Use https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10 to get an ISO image which can be used to reinstall Windows 10. https://www.crucial.com/catalog/accessories you want the
Crucial Easy Laptop Data Transfer Cable for 2.5-inch SSDs

Post in parts and labour.
Cheerio John

Hi John,
I have about a 4 year old Windows 10 desk top. I had a major problem with a windows 10 update a couple years or so ago, that wiped a lot of my saved files.
I'm curious, in ups521's case, you mentioned a usb adapter plugged into a new HD or SSD and also having a Microsoft account. Why is the Microsoft accounts necessary ?
Thanks,
Jim

Hi John,
I have about a 4 year old Windows 10 desk top. I had a major problem with a windows 10 update a couple years or so ago, that wiped a lot of my saved files.
I'm curious, in ups521's case, you mentioned a usb adapter plugged into a new HD or SSD and also having a Microsoft account. Why is the Microsoft accounts necessary ?
Thanks,
Jim

If you use something like win 7 backup and have a system image and a recovery CD / dvd it isn't necessary. However if you don't then having a Microsoft account on the machine means Microsoft have a record of it and you can reinstall windows without having to buy a new license.

I use a Ugreen hard drive enclosure, it has a power button on it with a 4 TB drive inside. I back up using it once a week and I also keep a system image on it. When it is not being used for back up it is off line which means malware cannot encrypt it.

Cheerio John

Our old laptop got stuck in a Win 10 loop of checking & correcting file clusters for >24 hours...
Bought a Crucial SSD, installed the SSD in place of the original, win 10 re-installed and is better performance than original.
There's a utility to copy old HDD to SSD s el.

Colin

If you use something like win 7 backup and have a system image and a recovery CD / dvd it isn't necessary. However if you don't then having a Microsoft account on the machine means Microsoft have a record of it and you can reinstall windows without having to buy a new license.

I use a Ugreen hard drive enclosure, it has a power button on it with a 4 TB drive inside. I back up using it once a week and I also keep a system image on it. When it is not being used for back up it is off line which means malware cannot encrypt it.

Cheerio John

Don't need a Microsoft Account, all Win 10 PCs are digitally licenced and will activate regardless of if you have a Microsoft account or not, Microsoft have recommended you do not use Win7 backup in Win10, somewhat puzzling why it's still there, but suggest using use third party solutions, that means the likes of Macrium Reflect, Paragon AOMEI etc. Laptops and OEM PCs in the last few years have the key embedded in the bios anyway so there probably wouldn't be a problem.
8GB USB thumb drives are easier for recovery drives as 90% of PC's in the last 4 years don't have DVD drives, the Win 10 ISOs are too big for a DVD now unless you create them with the Media Creation tool - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 scroll down.

I don't suppose a note was made of whatever the BSOD error was?

I have 4 PCs and use two USB3 4TB powered externals and double backup up system drives using Macrium Reflect keeping 4 Copies of each C drive and Trainz / content creating stuff / and important stuff is synchronized again twice using Free File Sync. Drives are connected to one of the PC's and networked to the others but turned off when not in use, USB connectors do not like being constantly being plugged and unplugged so they are permanently connected but unpowered. Takes around 5 minutes to backup the C Drive on this PC. OS's I back up weekly, Trainz when I've done work on them, which could be daily at some times.

Using 2 4TB drives paid off a month ago when one died on me, I have now replaced it.

It had something to do with the boot device, I don't know what is going on at Microsoft but I do know this, the update should never have been released without extensive testing for bugs that can kill a computer, now I'm evt scared to update to windows 11.

It had something to do with the boot device, I don't know what is going on at Microsoft but I do know this, the update should never have been released without extensive testing for bugs that can kill a computer, now I'm evt scared to update to windows 11.

Whereas it is possible something went wrong with the update it's all to easy to blame Microsoft but, could be any number of things that just coincidentally happened at the same time, such as a hardware issue, a corrupt driver. Millions received that update which didn't break anything but no software is bug free. Updates are tested by the Windows Insiders program and those of us who check the update previews which are available a couple of weeks before they are offered, major issues normally get stomped on before they are released to the masses.
If you backup your system drive if anything does go wrong with an update you can just restore the backup, far safer and better for stress levels and blood pressure!

Have you tried the Repair Options? First make sure your SATA cables are fitting tightly, the ones without clips invariably work loose due to vibration on spinners and can cause itermittent drive issues which might not be noticed but can cause file corruption.

Turn on the PC when the Windows logo appears immediately hit the power button and turn the PC off, do this three times, on the next reboot you should get the Automatic repair screen, select advanced > Trouble Shoot > Advanced > Startup repair.

If we had access to what it said on the BSOD it would be easier to workout what went wrong, if the drive was completely toast you wouldn't get a BSOD, just a message from the bios to insert a boot disk or words to that effect.

Good news folks, I'm coming back but it is going to take a little while because I ordered a new HP
pale gold laptop that has a faster processor, more storage space and AMD graphics card, better screen size, just bear with me for now until then.

Last edited:
Well GOOD ! I'm happy for you. I hope you give an update on how it works out. Nice to have things to look forward to.

update, my new computer has arrived, now I'm in the process of downloading 19 and the content that I have using my desktop to back up.

Alright, I'm back and in the process of picking up where I left off, l have to go to work but I will be on after afterwards.

Back