Project South Yorkshire (1920x1080)

Mutton

Now that some progress is being made on the project I thought I needed a place to show some progress shots so hence this thread.

Hopefully ppl will find it of interest.

Here's a fairly complex area to start with - Staveley (nr. Chesterfield). Mainly iron and steel works but it did have 2 stations of its own plus the engine shed at Barrow Hill. Can you imaging having to remember your way around when shunting!

51459170480_d046d0f8ce_o.png

Hello from France ,

Amazing project, and it could be a headache to drive safety in Trainz...

I will follow that with curiosity... Good luck and friendly, Marc

Last edited:
Here's a bit of an inspirational image for the area it's well worth following the link

Warning, you could loose some serious hours of your life on the Britain From Above web site, it's worth registering (free) just to get a zoomable view and then marvel at the detail of some of the amazing areal photography on that site.

Here's Staveley in 1938

Not too much completed in the last couple of days but did manage to lay the track for Langwith Colliery:

51479037043_411cdb982f_o.png

Last edited:
Doncaster Area

Hi Peter as you're a Donny Lad (Rotherham myself) these should look familiar:

Doncaster Station and The Plant:

51478080917_51bacc4efa_o.png

Doncaster South Yards and Depot:

51479786980_8caa85b0a3_o.png

Doncaster Black Carr Junction

51479786940_8137e14cb8_o.png

Thanks
Martyn

They certainly do Martyn. Spent many a happy childhood day on Platform 4 listening to somebody shouting 'Streak' every time smoke was seen in the distance. Happy days.

And yet another thread I'll need to keep tab's on . Fantastic work Martyn . Could ya give us a shot at ground level ? Would love to see the elevations of your trackwork work . But all those yards look fantastic .

Matt

Dear Martyn,

I am very impressed by this project and your current level of progress. My own interest involves the GCR and at one stage I was contemplating an attempt at the Staveley environs, but decided that the track plans were too complicated and would slow down progress on the overall project. I find that your efforts are very exciting and professional and I shall try to follow them closely in the future. I wish your the best of luck.

Many thanks and kind regards,

Peter.

thank you for the comments. the interest showed by people really inspires me to keep going.

@Railwoodman - you some what caught me out with that request at the moment this phase of the route building is more about getting the track layouts in place and as accurate as possible. Grading the track will come next. I have started and developed a way to apply smooth gradients but I don't have any areas that are ready to show - sorry.

@pflindley - Thanks for the positive comment, Staveley is indeed quite complex and that's following the maps for the track layout. The Great Central is a fascinating route, your GCR is certainly an exiting and inspiring project so thanks to you for that.

@peterwhite - I spent a lot of my youth also on Doncaster Station, usually platform 3, as it is now but before the extension, usually sat on top of a relay cabinet at the South end waiting to get kicked off by staff. For me the A4's et all were a bit before my time (not by too much). For me it was the Deltics thundering through the station or pulling up to idle in platform 1 an incredible sound that remains in my memory to this day.

Thanks
Martyn

Hiya Martyn you seem to be doing a fine job of Staveley and its environs. Having been a raiway guard and working over the old road from Chesterfield to Rotherham Midland I will follow this with much interest. I am also interested in what mapping you are using? I always use this link https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/sid...3.26937&lon=-1.35851&layers=175&right=BingHyb for any old mapping i wish to refer to. Good luck with this I hope you have not bitten off more than you can chew as the area was a minefield literally of interconnecting lines and colliery railways.

Hi steviez yup I do use NLS maps quite a lot particularly the 25 inch maps but I use Old-maps.co.uk a lot too. Unfortunately it requires a subscription to access all the maps and zoomed in capability (£9.99 / month) heres a simialr link (you may have to zoom out to see the map) be patient as the site is quite slow these days. https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/442448/374856/13/101329.

And as for biting of more than I can chew, possibly, but I'm not constraining my time with deadlines and I'm enjoying the process, so I'll carry on as I am and we'll see where it leads.

It was not my intention to do so . Your shots speak for themselves . Vary well done work on the trackwork . Looking forward to seeing more . Please keep doing what your doing .

Matt

thank you for the comments. the interest showed by people really inspires me to keep going.

@peterwhite - I spent a lot of my youth also on Doncaster Station, usually platform 3, as it is now but before the extension, usually sat on top of a relay cabinet at the South end waiting to get kicked off by staff. For me the A4's et all were a bit before my time (not by too much). For me it was the Deltics thundering through the station or pulling up to idle in platform 1 an incredible sound that remains in my memory to this day.

Thanks
Martyn

Now you are making me feel old!

Nothing much been done of late except a lot of research, particularly around Chesterfield area. It's not often you find a station that you've never heard of before for a major town (Chesterfield Marketplace). But any way another day another pit completed track work, this Time Firbeck colliery:

Firbeck-colliery.png

I'm not too familiar with the LNER Territory which you are modeling Mutton but this is fantastic!! The sheer scale of Staveley MPD is a crown achievement in and of itself!

Between your South Yorkshire Project, pflindley's incredible GCR Route, and Borderreiver's County Durham Route, there's a very real possibility of having a complete Eastern Region Route in Trainz one day in the future! Many thanks for sharing your achievement with us!!

I can't wait to see it progress!! Best of luck from down south in Brighton! :D

Another Day - Another Pit or 3

Here we have the Trackwork completed for Markham No1. Left (Top), Markam No.2 Left (bottom) and Bolsover Colliery Right.

Markham-Bolsover.png

Back