Cannot Create Session from Route of Another

pitkin

I am attempting to create a session for the MRR:South Park Line. It is on the DLS, but has no session uploaded by the author. What I normally do is to clone the route, save a default session, and then point the session back to the original route by editing the config file of the session (map-kuid). But this does not seem to work in Build 4.8 (TRS19 SP3 Platinum). Even if I open the session and do not do anything, just try to save it again, Trainz insists on saving a new route and session.

The reason I want to do this is so I can upload the session for other Trainzers. This used to work.

Thanks for any solutions.

As Stagecoach pointed out, the kuid of the map (route) appears twice in a session config.txt file. Once in the map-kuid tag and again in the kuid-table tag. You need to change both.

Thanks for the suggestions. I changed the kuid table, but the behavior remains. Still insists on saving a route and session.

Thanks for the suggestions. I changed the kuid table, but the behavior remains. Still insists on saving a route and session.

Again, this is yet another one of those things that wasn't thought out completely by the developers since they don't use the program and was not discovered because it wasn't done during beta. This is how Platinum and up works, sadly. For some reason now since the UDS interface has been added some things changed in the session will cause the route to be updated as well.

Again, this is yet another one of those things that wasn't thought out completely by the developers since they don't use the program and was not discovered because it wasn't done during beta. This is how Platinum and up works, sadly. For some reason now since the UDS interface has been added some things changed in the session will cause the route to be updated as well.

It sure looks that way. My primary focus in development work for uploading was driver commands, rules, and sessions based on the routes of others (mostly Philskene). No more sharing of sessions unless something changes. Thanks for the verification.

I suspect that the "problem" here is that many Route assets have their properties stored in the Session. So if you make a change to one of these assets it is regarded as a change to the Session, hence the request to save the Session. Here is a partial list:-

1. junction switches - the left/right switch direction is stored in the Session (but the switch default direction is stored in the Route)
  2. industries - the commodities and quantities loaded/unloaded are stored in the Session
  3. industry enabled wagons - the commodities and quantities carried are stored in the Session
  4. consist locations - this is stored in the Session (TRS19 Platinum Edition and Trainz Plus only)
  5. named route objects - while the name is stored in the Route, adding or changing the name is treated as a change to the Session

Unless you are creating a new Session then you can safely ignore requests to save the Session for items 1-3 and 5 above. If you are using the UDS and do not want to replace your original consist locations with their new locations (as well as any changes to the status of Session Rules) then you can also ignore the save Session request.

Yes, but all I do is open the session for editing, do not do anything, and ask to save it. Only choice is to save new route and session. I cannot ignore the save, or nothing will be saved.

Another interesting thing is that I am already developing another session in Platinum from:

<kuid:944855:100138> North Bay Railroad - TANE

and that seems to work. The only obvious difference is that the route is Build 4.5

I cannot say for sure if I started development in SP3 before updating to Platinum.

I just did a test (I am using Trainz Plus). Opening a Session for Edit, doing nothing and then exiting. It did not generate a request to save.

The only explanation I can think of (without any supporting evidence) is that there may be a difference in the file formats between the originally saved build version and the updated build version. What happens if you do save both the route and session after doing nothing and then reload the newly saved edits? Does it ask you to save them again on exit (after doing nothing)?

I do the save, and then of course have a new route, which I delete. I edit the new session config to point back to the original route, but it still asks to save.

I am going to delete the original route and download again, see what happens.

In your test, did the session point to one of your own routes? Is that route 4.8?

Last edited:
Deleting and downloading the route did not change the behavior.

It would be interesting to see, if tdstead uploaded a session, whether it could be edited by someone else.

Last edited:
Yes, and both route and session are build 4.8

In my case, I am using a route that is not my own (tdstead, on the DLS). In any event, the North Bay is not my route, and I can create a new session without saving a new route, and I cannot seem to with South Park.

Last edited:
I have just downloaded the MRR route and selected it in the route selection and clicked view sessions. It showed no sessions, so I clicked create session and when it loaded I did an exit with save route and session. This saved it under my kuid. I changed the map-kuid and kuid-table to the original route and saved. I deleted the route under my kuid and loaded the edit session which also loaded the original route. This was done with TRS19 114281.

So what happened when you opened the session for editing and tried to save it? Did it ask to save both route and session?

By the way, it seems to me that the program inserts the map-kuid in the kuid table automatically when you save the config. May be build dependent.

By the way, it seems to me that the program inserts the map-kuid in the kuid table automatically when you save the config. May be build dependent.

That jogged my memory. It has always been the case. In the past (pre-TANE and earlier) users have sometimes tried to "solve" issues by deleting or editing the kuid-table only to find that it is automatically rebuilt to its original state by Trainz whenever the route/session is reloaded.

That jogged my memory. It has always been the case. In the past (pre-TANE and earlier) users have sometimes tried to "solve" issues by deleting or editing the kuid-table only to find that it is automatically rebuilt to its original state by Trainz whenever the route/session is reloaded.

If the asset is not on the map, but in the kuid table, then I think deleting it from the kuid table still works to eliminate missing asset messages (assuming the asset is indeed not present in the installation. Not 100% sure.

If the asset is not on the map, but in the kuid table, then I think deleting it from the kuid table still works to eliminate missing asset messages (assuming the asset is indeed not present in the installation. Not 100% sure.

That was the theory that some were using - a quick way to delete missing assets but it did not work.

Back