Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Surveyor 2.0 - Discussion Thread

I notice there smooth ground under selected... Will this basically be the same as smooth spline height, or any different?

Blog Entries

Good evening to all.
    I'm not sure if the surveyor is the right place to ask, but I would like, please, an "IF - ELSE - THEN" stuf in the session edit menu.
    Or tell me how to do it (or in which sub-forum people discuss about this topic)
    Thanks in advance from France

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jean54 View Post
    I'm not sure if the surveyor is the right place to ask, but I would like, please, an "IF - ELSE - THEN" stuf in the session edit menu.
    I use an IF .. ELSE .. THEN equivalent all the time in Session Rules using variables. See the first example on the Trainz Wiki page at https://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/...ons_(Examples)
    Trainz Plus (TRS19) build 114800 (SP4)
    Trainz Plus (TRS22) build 115628 (beta)
    Trainz Simulator 3 (Mobile)

Tony : in your post #41
    * Groups of selected items can be moved or rotated together in X,Y and Z directions (you can even select the terrain and raise that with the objects)

That's great , Though can you confirm that the rotation can be done in small amounts or is it still just the 4 compass directions as per current copy paste ?
    High visibility pixels must be worn when on or about the line

Top of my wish list - the ability to rename an asset in Surveyor. Nothing frustrates me more than having to quit out of one route to load another to find that perfect little purple plinker you know you've used before which turns out to have an utterly non-intuitive username and therefor hasn't responded to any of the twenty searches for what it might or arguably should be called....

Quote Originally Posted by Dermmy View Post
    Top of my wish list - the ability to rename an asset in Surveyor. Nothing frustrates me more than having to quit out of one route to load another to find that perfect little purple plinker you know you've used before which turns out to have an utterly non-intuitive username and therefor hasn't responded to any of the twenty searches for what it might or arguably should be called....
    The only problem I can see with this, Dermmy, is it would cause a lot of concern if you were to upload the route. Granted, the KUID would (should) remain the same, but if the name you gave it doesn't make it to the next user, then what?

A long time ago, I proposed a new field be added to the config.txt file: localname= (whatever you want). Then, in the CM set up another column so we can search on Local Name. Even if the item is yours, when uploaded your local name remains in the config file and can then be changed (if desired, into another users language).

Bill
    Bill (USN, Retired) Into computers over 58 years - Trainzer since: 2003
    ID: 202442
    T:ANE (SP4) OR TRS2019 (111951)

Wouldn't this new system make it harder for newbies and oldies to get to know the new surveyor?
    I'd also like to see a better system of copy-pasting, where the copy-paste area doesn't overlap everything and remove it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DARTrider View Post
    Wouldn't this new system make it harder for newbies and oldies to get to know the new surveyor?
    From experience oldies will have problems with any new system - I recall "cussing" loud and long when MS introduced the "Ribbon" to their Office products. But I adapted. Newbies will take to it like a duck to water because they have not been "trained" on anything different.

In any case, Tony mentioned in an earlier newsletter that Surveyor 1.0 will still be an option for those "dinosaurs" who do not like change.
    Trainz Plus (TRS19) build 114800 (SP4)
    Trainz Plus (TRS22) build 115628 (beta)
    Trainz Simulator 3 (Mobile)

Quote Originally Posted by DARTrider View Post
    I'd also like to see a better system of copy-pasting, where the copy-paste area doesn't overlap everything and remove it.
    Wish granted! It's called the ADD button and it's right underneath the buttons for height, textures, assets and splines.

Columbus, Oh USA -by the Weber Connection!

The ability to copy/paste between routes? Throw in a moon-lit sky and I'll pay a monthly subscription!
    Check out my grungy electric piano based band, "Small Movies" at http://wearesmallmovies.com/

United States of America, Massachusetts, Haverhill

Quote Originally Posted by nexusdj View Post
    Tony : in your post #41
    * Groups of selected items can be moved or rotated together in X,Y and Z directions (you can even select the terrain and raise that with the objects)

That's great , Though can you confirm that the rotation can be done in small amounts or is it still just the 4 compass directions as per current copy paste ?
    This is great. I wonder if it's possible to type in the value instead of relying on inaccurate mouse movements.

And how about the ability to set a an angle that can be applied to multiple objects? This is useful for lining up parked cars along a roadway, or street lights and other objects along a straight line. There's nothing more annoying than placing buildings that all face the wrong direction, meaning their default position, and then having to rotate the buildings and adjust them in place. This is okay for tiny routes, but when working on a substantial routes and cities, this loses the fun factor pretty quick.
    John
    Trainz User Since: 12-2003
    Trainz User ID: 124863
    TRS2019/Trainz-PLUS: 114800
    TRS22 Beta tester

Blog Entries

lord please be a track radius tool (see dovetails railworks editor for context)

making curves in this game always drives me nuts

Quote Originally Posted by HiBaller View Post
    The only problem I can see with this, Dermmy, is it would cause a lot of concern if you were to upload the route. Granted, the KUID would (should) remain the same, but if the name you gave it doesn't make it to the next user, then what?

A long time ago, I proposed a new field be added to the config.txt file: localname= (whatever you want). Then, in the CM set up another column so we can search on Local Name. Even if the item is yours, when uploaded your local name remains in the config file and can then be changed (if desired, into another users language).

Bill
    'username' is effectively a local name. The kuid is the only universal reference, it doesn't matter if it's called 'wudderfump' on yours and 'kerplunk' on mine, it's the same asset. A huge number of assets I use a lot have had the username changed to something meaningful to me, it's just such a hassle to have to do it in CM, and it makes absolutely no difference on a distributed route what it's called....

Andy

Dermmy - Your signature: I think you mean "Mr. Spock," not "Dr. Spock."
    Last edited by 1611mac; September 12th, 2021 at 05:38 AM.
    22 Plus beta 115628; 19 Plus SP5 beta 115653; 19-Std SP3; Tane SP4
    Win10, GTX1060-6, 1TB SSD(C), 2TB SSD(D)

Quote Originally Posted by codeman2000 View Post
    lord please be a track radius tool (see dovetails railworks editor for context)

making curves in this game always drives me nuts
    I mentioned this earlier, also need the easement feature to make transition curves. Got the distinct impression from Tony's response though, this sort of thing is not on the agenda, nor is the ability to select a length of track and add another parallel piece or other splined asset (e.g. a fence or platform).

Edit: Just musing as I mess about yet again trying to make smooth shallow embankments and cuttings, I bet the ability to change the angle from the current steep sided and unalterable width arrangement.
    Last edited by Vern; September 12th, 2021 at 10:35 AM.
    TRS22 Standalone - Please Add Surveyor 2.0