Surveyor 2.0 - Discussion Thread

-can the textures also be in text instead of thumbnail?
-can they be filtered? FI: I want Sand but not PBR in the name?
greetings GM

Hello,
May I suggest that you open the Surveyor (1), then
type together [Ctrl]+[Shift]+[F] to call the "show search filter" window then, in that window,
clic on the [+] button, change "name" to "keywords" and then type on the right (FI) "Sand"
then once again
clic on the [+] button, change "name" to "AND NOT"
then, once again,
clic on the [+] button, change "name" to "keywords" and type on the right (FI) "PBR"

and in the end type the [F2] key to show the remaining textures

the result is almost the same if you let "name" instead of "keywords" you'll have textures with Sand but not PBR in the name.

regards

Nothing for me to get excited about then, I do not need a subscription.

I wonder what percentage of subscribed members actually build routes day in day out ?
It will eventually find its way to you, with or without a subscription, though probably in the next version of Trainz.
I am a full time route builder and gold sub as well, so I'm extremely happy to be able to give it a whirl. Does that make me a one percenter? :D
cheers
Graeme

Nice tease but without any idea what to expect (besides the obvious in the screen shot) kind of hard to give a meaningful comment. The contents of the various boxes are just below visibility to know exactly what is being presented beyond generalities. The lower right appears to be about layers. What changed? The left side is about textures, again, what changed except for movable pallets? Multiple selection as evidenced by the green glow looks to be very useful considering how often I've had to move things one at a time. I don't see any tab handles. Does that mean multiple clicking in the upper menus or memorizing pallet shortcuts? Don't see an obvious current layer indicator on screen so is that still next version or something that can be toggled on/off?
Looking forward to the next tease.

My questions/suggestions:

1- Tunnels:
No more digholes please!
We need tunnel entrances in any direction, and never again only 45º/90º entrances/exits, and no more tunnel entrances aligned with grid points on terrain!

2- The same applies to roundtables, and holes above track in maintenance depots/workshops...

3- Navigation (the same for driver):
ability to use ASDW keys to navigate/free roam in surveyor (like driving a off-road car/helicopter) and, no more with the arrow/cursor keys

4- Cuttings and embakments:
Ability to make/build narrow/sharper cuttings/embakments around track/spline, or define angle in spline point properties ? -> Or Dynamic terrain cutting/align terrain in spline, and not aligned with grid map points ?

5- Tools to Import external terrain data values and/or maps (like free openstreetmaps, openrailwaymap.org, and others)

6- Track laying:
6-1 - When mousing over track segment (or when pressing a specific keyboard key/shortcut key when mousing over any piece of layed track) a text pop-up shows it's properties: length, curve radius (if any), % gradient (if any) plus the height difference between the 2 points of track section, superelevation + condition + max allowed speed. (maybe all these values in a statusbar ?) -> read above:

6.2 - We need ability to place/lay track pieces more accurate/professional way:
example: by writing in textboxes the lenght of track spline piece, the curve radius (if any) to apply constantly around the curve (not like fixed track but a way we can specify the curve constant radius) (0 for straight)). The same ability for applying a constant gradient value in a specific track section/spline section (between 2 points).

6.3 - Or the properties of track (read 6.1) is showed in editable text boxes in a horizontal status bar, for example... so we can check the values when mousing over track section, and adjust/edit the values faster/precisely.

Sorry my bad english, and if this looks confused.
André C.

As several other have noted, at the right of the screenshot is a daunting list of layers and each and every one of them (except the one locked layer) is a potential trap for the unwary to begin laying down items only to find you've done it on the wrong layer.

When, if ever, is there going to be an indication of the layer in use?

Bill

@Jean, merci, yes that is what i do now
but hoping each panel in the new S2 has some filtering in/on each panel
There are over a million assets available for trainz (not here ofc.)
filtering gets more important.
Also that you easy see, what is freeware/dls/dlc/payware (maybe color coded)
so you don't use the wrong kind of items by accident.

Agree with Pitkin and Martin, which layer is active should be prominent on screen
and preferable also, which item(s) is/are current selected and where you are on the map (bookmarks)
and ofc. undo :)

Please just don’t make it as complicated to use as the Train Simulator Editor. I really enjoy the simplicity of Surveyor, ruining that would be a major drawback for me, and I guess countless others too.
More features - yes please!
New Interface - no thanks.

S20 features multi-selection (the green w.i.p. overlays) and multi-asset type in one selection (so you could marquee select and move an entire town a few meters in you wanted to)

Custom multi select is a big thumbs up from me . Does this come with the ability to fully rotate the selected items when pasting ?

The smooth spline height tool : Any chance you could add a distance entry so that you can set the distance from the spline/track centre at which the edge of an embankment or cutting would start , So no more cuttings or embankments spawned that are the equivalent of 3 tracks wide when there's only one actual track etc. ?

Tony:

For me the item I want to know more about is the ability to copy and save between routes. This is my number one want item for surveyor. This ability would make it far easier for newbies, as well as experienced route creators, to create routes. I hate currently having to re-create things such as farms over and over from one route to another.......

Bob

Nothing for me to get excited about then, I do not need a subscription.

I wonder what percentage of subscribed members actually build routes day in day out ?
Same here Graham, standard edition + FCT only.
Personally I would like to see items such as the ability to define the radius of curves and select a length to lay parallel track or another asset similar to the technique with "loft" items or track in DTG TS.
We also need to be able to get underground, particularly when working with long, deep tunnels.

I would like to see bulk asset replace work with missing items. The route knows what the missing KUIDs are and where they go (orange wireframes). If I could put the KUID of a missing tree, say, in the left side and a substitute tree on the right, I could repopulate trees without having to fall back to TS12 or looking to some payware somewhere for the missing tree. I also had a route where I was trying to replace a faulty tree. I had the KUID of the faulty tree because it was in the asset picker in red letters. But when I tried to bulk replace it with a good tree it said they were different "kind"s. What? They were both trees!

Last edited:
In today's newsletter we've provided the first sneak peek at the new "Surveyor 2.0" (S20) interface, and we've shown the image again below.

We'd love to get the discussion going about the new tools and features. (We'll be providing a lot more information over the coming weeks as we get everything prepared for our initial external testing, but we were so excited with progress we just had to share this snippet).
From one teaser / sneak peek image this has quickly become a wish list. Unless they are still in the very early days of coding the new Surveyor, I think most of what they intend has already been done. Once we get a clearer view of what all that is, we can discuss its merits and how it can be integrated into our workflows. From all the threads in the Suggestion Boxcar, I'm pretty sure they know what we all want. Whether it is physical possible or on their timeline of development is another issue.

Oh boy am I excited! I wish I was apart of the team that is updating Surveyor cause there are so many different improvements that I would want to see. I am a Civil Engineer that uses AutoCAD and hearing the talk in this thread of being able to select multiple things and move them is something I have wanted for a long time. Also copying multiple things from what you select would be nice too maybe that has already been added. It be nice if the grid size "wifeframe" could be change by the user. Theres places where id like to get more detailed with hills and such. Wish I could create caves or caverns and have a river/stream act like its going downhill instead of flat. Those are just some ideas. Sorry if I said to much and you guys arnt looking for outside opinions.

I would like better tools for working with tracks. For example, parallel tracks, smooth curves, and better track switches.

I would like to see this in action. The image looks nice, but the details are a bit more than difficult to see. My biggest concern is font size. I sure hope that the text will be big enough to see and with decent contrast between the dark background. There's nothing like grey text the size of ant footprints on an equally dim background making everything impossible to see.

Back