Surveyor 2.0 - Discussion Thread

PerRock would you mind cleaning out your inbox? I'm trying to send you a PM letting you know we need some damage control (aka mods) in the Prototype Talk section of the forums.

So, am I hearing (between the lines), that S20 will never be pushed as an update to TRS19?

Correct - (as of right now) never to 2019 or 2022.
As far as I know, no new features are coming to TRS 2019.
TRS 2022 = 2019 + all of the *completed* (i.e., not S20 and maybe not the new water?) Trainz Plus features (https://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/Trainz_Plus) - it's kind of like a 'catch-up' version.
I suspect S20 + 1-2 years of additional Plus features will be rolled into TRS 2024(or whatever).

Hope this helps,
Curtis

If thats the case its a bit of false advertising, and very dissapointing. Perhaps Tony could clear this up. By confirming one way or another. As to where the S2.0 is being updated to. As all its doing
is causing confusion.

Correct - (as of right now) never to 2019 or 2022.
As far as I know, no new features are coming to TRS 2019.
TRS 2022 = 2019 + all of the *completed* (i.e., not S20 and maybe not the new water?) Trainz Plus features (https://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/Trainz_Plus) - it's kind of like a 'catch-up' version.
I suspect S20 + 1-2 years of additional Plus features will be rolled into TRS 2024(or whatever).

Hope this helps,
Curtis

Although S2 has a long way to go before it's complete and fit for full release, I doubt it would take 2 years for it to be released. However, I do agree it likely won't be added to TRS19, but at the same time I think it's reasonable to believe it will come to TRS22 sooner or later. I've been making good use of S2 in my new route project (mostly terrain building at this stage) and I'm comfortable with it. I still use classic for placing track/splines and trains as I like the classic method best for those 2, but terrain building is a breeze thanks to the increased brush size, and the ability to place up to a dozen or more baseboards at once. Not to mention ajusting the baseboard height is super helpful and makes building hilly/mountain type routes much easier then in the past. Of course, we will have to wait and see when S2 will be fully released.

On the bright side, getting TRS2022 and S2 at no extra cost when buying Trainz Plus is a great deal, and the team is quite generous for this offer imho.

Last edited:
If thats the case its a bit of false advertising, and very dissapointing. Perhaps Tony could clear this up. By confirming one way or another. As to where the S2.0 is being updated to. As all its doing
is causing confusion.

I don't see the confusion - unless I am confused?? From my reading of the discussion.

• Surveyor S20 will/should included in the next subscription update for Trainz Plus which, functionally, will be the same as TRS22. Those who have been brave enough to try the Trainz Plus beta version have it already.
  • TRS22 bought as a standalone version (no subscription), which is currently available as a beta version, will not include S20. If you get TRS22 as part of your Trainz Plus subscription then it will include S20. I do not know if it will also include the UDS interface currently found in TRS19 PE and Trainz Plus but I would be surprised if it is not (but that is my assumption).

I have yet to see a definitive list of TRS22 features. Perhaps (hopefully) that will be released closer to the retail (non-beta) version being released?

My thoughts.

minor detail regarding documentation.... the document refers many times to "Contextual Menu".... it took me some while find out the the contextual menus are access from the little icon in the top left each time something is added to the route.
At no point is the position/location of the contextual menu referred to in the documentation.... this can be a bit off-putting to some and an addendum to the documentation could clear this up......Just a suggestion.
Keith

I could be wrong but I see Trainz 19... 22... (24? future) as being "one" rolling product over time. The subscription "model" bears that out I think. Really, no longer are there separate products. It's one product with features being controlled by the user account.

New features come with the new "product" for those with subscription... meanwhile... older "new" features (UDS for example) get rolled into the current public release. At some point, be it 22, 24, 26, or whatever the name is, it will contain all the new stuff we have now. Those with Plus will by then be getting even newer goodies..

I think it's just going to be like a wave.... when a new wave of features comes... current "new" (now old) features are rolled into the core app.

- Plus (subscription) users will have the latest and greatest features as "beta."
- Non-subscription users will run a couple years behind but will have a "public" STABLE version with added features that are 2? years old.

Obviously only my opinion and pretty much not of value...

Last edited:
Not sure about the "not of value" part but it sure is a great theory that would explain the availability of the features, old, new and future.

I could be wrong but I see Trainz 19... 22... (24? future) as being "one" rolling product over time. The subscription "model" bears that out I think. Really, no longer are there separate products. It's one product with features being controlled by the user account.

New features come with the new "product" for those with subscription... meanwhile... older "new" features (UDS for example) get rolled into the current public release. At some point, be it 22, 24, 26, or whatever the name is, it will contain all the new stuff we have now. Those with Plus will by then be getting even newer goodies..

I think it's just going to be like a wave.... when a new wave of features comes... current "new" (now old) features are rolled into the core app.

- Plus (subscription) users will have the latest and greatest features as "beta."
- Non-subscription users will run a couple years behind but will have a "public" STABLE version with added features that are 2? years old.

Obviously only my opinion and pretty much not of value...

Agreed. You have two different options right now - a subscription service that gets new features as they are added, or individual product purchases released at multiple-year intervals that include the previously-completed features. S20 will likely be 'complete' next year (after the release of, and not included in, TRS 2022) and will be available to plus members (the 'subscription' service). It won't make it into a stand-alone product until TRS 2024 (or whatever the next version is called).

So does this mean that if I buy a subscription to get the S20, (with whatever version it finally comes with), that if I cancel the sub, the content (S20) goes away?

Agreed. You have two different options right now - a subscription service that gets new features as they are added, or individual product purchases released at multiple-year intervals that include the previously-completed features. S20 will likely be 'complete' next year (after the release of, and not included in, TRS 2022) and will be available to plus members (the 'subscription' service). It won't make it into a stand-alone product until TRS 2024 (or whatever the next version is called).

If only it were that simple. TRS 2019 came in regional variants and platinum (New Camera options and controls, Unified Driver and Surveyor, functionality Content Store Downloader). So maybe that will be the pattern for TRS 2022, maybe not, who knows (other than N3V).

Yes, if you cancel the subscription, you no longer have access to that version of Trainz. You would need to use one of the standalone versions you have purchased. If you want to 'own' S20, you would need to wait until the next version (after 2022) is offered for sale.

If only it were that simple. TRS 2019 came in regional variants and platinum (New Camera options and controls, Unified Driver and Surveyor, functionality Content Store Downloader). So maybe that will be the pattern for TRS 2022, maybe not, who knows (other than N3V).

Aye, there may be intermediate paid releases (or free patches that add some of the new features) for 2022 as well, but nothing we can count on. They may release S20 as a free upgrade to 2022, but they may not, also.

Aye, there may be intermediate paid releases (or free patches that add some of the new features) for 2022 as well, but nothing we can count on. They may release S20 as a free upgrade to 2022, but they may not, also.

I tend to think that as soon as N3V have a fully working version of S2, they'll try and get revenue from the non-subscriber crew as soon as they can (TRS2022 Platinum?), but we'll see.

So does this mean that if I buy a subscription to get the S20, (with whatever version it finally comes with), that if I cancel the sub, the content (S20) goes away?
I don't think calling it (S20) content is appropriate. Instead, I see it as a fancy new set of tools. Fun to play with but if it was withdrawn, for what ever reason, any route that was created with it would still be accessible using the good old classic set of tools.

So being a Trainz plus/Gold Subscriber currently using 2019. If I upgrade which I can, assuming their is an subscription increase. I have not checked. I can get S2.0 and start using even though I have not installed TRS22 or is it part of the package that upgrades your 2019. Dont want to lose my current 2019 route in progress of creation now. As I said earlier its a bit confusing the way Trainz is doing things at present. Buying or subscribing models.

TRS22 is a separate download anyway and will want to create a new data folder.

The subscription is the same.

Anything you create in TRS19 (any version) or in Trainz Plus (TRS19) will load and work in TRS22 and Trainz Plus (TRS22).

TRS22 and Trainz Plus (TRS22) create routes and sessions with a build number of 5.0. When TRS19 (all versions) is upgraded with the next patch (SP5) they will also use build 5.0 (or so I believe).

S20 will be included in Trainz Plus when TRS22 is released as a full retail version. I have S20 running already in a copy of Trainz Plus that is on the beta stream. I have another copy that is not on the beta stream so it does not have S20, but it will be upgraded to S20 when TRS22 is released.

Back