Surveyor 2.0 - Discussion Thread

Its going to be a gradual transition for me. After 20+ years of using Surveyor Classic, I am very confident and quick at using it. I have started using S20 and can see the advantages, not having to constantly switch menus is one, the marquee tool and scrapbooks (I recently uploaded my first scrapbook asset to the DLS) are others. But it will take some time to get used to.

Absolutely agree with this. It's pretty obvious that S2.0 is superior to Surveyor Classic, but for those of us who have spent 15-20 years working with the latter, it's going to take some getting used to!

Paul

20+ years of using something that i found quite easy to use.

Now i have looked at S2 a couple of times and it looks far to over complicated.

I will probably never have a hope in hell of using it.

Mike.

20+ years of using something that i found quite easy to use.

Now i have looked at S2 a couple of times and it looks far to over complicated.

I will probably never have a hope in hell of using it.

Mike.

I don't mind new things and new ways of doing old things. I like the challenge of figuring out the buttons and rethinking about the old ways but applying the new methods to do them, but the interface is an over-engineered kit.

My same complaints remain about such as the size of the option selectors for assets being too small and are about the size of ant legs and feet.

Until this is resolved, I can't use it.

S2 has a few brilliant new ideas and options
-eyedropper
-scrapbook
-adding deleting many baseboards
-context sensitive menu
-fine tuning placement

it's main problem, is the interface
Seems no-one at n3v takes this serious, it cannot be called "polish"
A good program starts with an intuitive, correct working interface,
that enhances, not limits, the underlying code.

It should work for people with less good eyesight
also for those just using a mouse and those that only use a keyboard
from a laptop monitor till 3 x 27" side by side

The offer still stands, many things I already solved here (or know how)
give me an hour on Discord with the lead interface designer (if there is one)

Is it possible to make it so when painting textures, the textures rotate automatically? Right now I am spamming the left and right square brackets to rotate my textures but it is getting tedious. Wondering if there's a better way to do this?

Is it possible to make it so when painting textures, the textures rotate automatically? Right now, I am spamming the left and right square brackets to rotate my textures, but it is getting tedious. Wondering if there's a better way to do this?

I haven't seen that option. If you are using the PBR textures, it's been said not to rotate them because that causes a real performance-hit on the system.

Hi Evan123
It is strongly recommended to not rotate textures continuously, as this has a big impact on performance, as each 'rotation' of the texture has to be loaded separately (so effectively, you'll have a similar effect to loading 16 ground textures if you spam rotation on just 1 ground texture). As such you would be much better to find textures that you can blend together without rotating, and only rotate to suit specific locations on the route (ie you would rotate a rockface texture to line up with a cutting face).

Regards

I haven't seen that option. If you are using the PBR textures, it's been said not to rotate them because that causes a real performance-hit on the system.

I have been trying to find a tool tip or something to tell me if a texture I am applying is 'PBR' (Not to be confused with Pabst Blue Ribbon!). Is there something in surveyor that will tell me if a texture is of the PBR variety?

Is this due to the way assets are now streamed or a change to the route file format? Does this impact the 256 texture per baseboard limitation as well?

But I've found that if you are using properly made PBR textures with height maps that there is much less of a need to swirl textures as the height maps helps prevent the appearance of patterns over a large area.

I have been trying to find a tool tip or something to tell me if a texture I am applying is 'PBR' (Not to be confused with Pabst Blue Ribbon!). Is there something in surveyor that will tell me if a texture is of the PBR variety?

A properly made PBR texture will have a 3D appearance when applied. But many textures have been updated and named PBR xxx but omit the height map and therefore are just flat. I went through each texture included and made a pick list of the ones that have height maps.

Any recommendations for creating production chains? I'm looking for something where I can unload product X and in turn the industry will produce Y & Z.

I have been working on a large, new route, and S2.0 makes me much more productive. I still switch back and forth between S2.0 and Classic, but I find I am doing that less.

Several things I would like to see in S2.0:

1. Keyboard shortcuts. My guess is that N3V will do this when the software becomes more finalized.
2. Bulk asset replacement incorporated into S2.0.
3. Ability to choose rotation before pasting (Ctrl-V) from the scrapbook. Yes, you can rotate the selection after the paste, but in Classic you can rotate pre-paste in 90-degree increments, so I find myself using the Classic copy/rotate/paste because it's a faster process when all you need to do is in 90-degree increments.

Last edited:
There are a lot of interactive industries that will allow you to do this. For example the built in sawmill that takes in logs and produces lumber and woodchips or the oil refinery that takes in crude oil and produces petrol/diesel etc.
This process can be made into a long supply chain, here is one example of mine and I created a very messy flow chart with arrows between industries!
Docks import iron ore
Iron ore is shipped to Steelworks, which also uses coke from the gasworks (I created a BI3 multiple industry for this) and lime from to produce Steel Coils
Steel coil is shipped to a fabrication yard and made into beam/nails/panels
Some of those items are shipped to an automotive factory and made into vehicles along with a lot of other components
Vehicles are taken back to the docks for export.

I am trying to do exactly that Gary - but I can't find the functionality in game to do so. What assets are needed / where etc.

Several things I would like to see in S2.0:

1. Keyboard shortcuts. My guess is that N3V will do this when the software becomes more finalized.

That is the main missing feature of S2.0 that keeps me switching back to S1.0. The ability to use keyboard shortcuts makes some operations quicker and easier in S1.0. But N3V have stated that the keyboard shortcuts (and other things) will be coming to S2.0.

2. Bulk asset replacement incorporated into S2.0.

Yes, another improvement that is, hopefully, on its way.

I am loving the ability in S2.0 to move track objects (e.g. signals, speed signs, etc) closer to the track. This is great for using track objects designed for the wider spacing of standard and broad gauge track on a narrow gauge line.

I assume you've seen the current list of shortcuts. (Agreed, we need to add more)
https://docs.trainzsimulator.com/docs/introducing-shortcuts

Bulk replace UI is incompatible with S20 (e.g. drag and drop isn't supported) so we need to rework the tool. Luckily it's quick to switch back and forward.

Which Industries provide/require which goods - nothing available currently but something useful coming in a soon-to-be-announced update.

I am trying to do exactly that Gary - but I can't find the functionality in game to do so. What assets are needed / where etc.

If you create a new thread then I will go into more detail on this and some screenshots of my industry supply chains but don't want to go off-topic on this post.

Kind regards,

Gary

I've recently switched over to the new water and for some reason there is a wall of water around my ocean. Is this because my ocean is below 0 (-97.28)? The wall tops out at the 0 level. The section of my route with the sea port was an addon and I wanted the route to go through a canyon to get there. I will be posting a tour of my route soon to show what I've done so far (10+ yrs work).

Jack

Back