Surveyor 2.0 - Discussion Thread

An important point is that the retail version of TRS22 will not include S20, that is only in Trainz Plus. An as yet unidentified future retail version of Trainz will include S20 when it is released.

So I can upgrade to TRS22 plus like my 2019 plus version. And get S2.0 for the same cost. But a separate download and folder for TRS22plus.

If you have paid for the annual subscription for Trainz Plus by Jan 15th. Not sure if "TRS22 Plus" actually exists, it may just be "TRS22".

My understanding is that as you also have Trainz Plus, with S2.0 included, your "stand-alone" copy of TRS22 will also have S2.0 until you drop the subscription at which point TRS22 will lose S2.0 and revert to S1.0. I ran that past Tony in an earlier post in another thread and he said that I had it "got it all nailed". S2.0 is a Trainz Plus only feature.

Everything is based on your account I believe. My launch panel says "2022 Launcher" at the top. Settings panel has a large and clear "Trainz 22" logo on it. I now also have a TRS22 Beta stream. Thus, I have a '19 beta stream and a '22 beta stream (I have installs for both)

Edit: Looking again, I get your point I think, pware. I have a Trains Plus, Trainz Plus Beta, TRS22, and TRS22 Beta but I don't have a TRS22 Plus beta. How confusing is this?

Last edited:
I have the S2.0 Surveyor. I am not a graphics designer, nor do I build routes. Instead I modify existing routes to fit my perspective of a railroad and a region. In Trainz I prefer to modify and not create from "scratch". Since I only deal at the scene level the new Suveyor has little advantage for me. The artists that create objects for trainz will probably be very thankful for the improved instruments of design. And, I will be thankful for their creations. Thanks in advance.
I can only hope that the "original" surveyor is retained so I can continue the enjoyment of placing the new future creations. .

I have a Trains Plus, Trainz Plus Beta, TRS22, and TRS22 Beta but I don't have a TRS22 Plus beta. How confusing is this?

Yes it can be confusing. However, I am very impressed with the idea of providing 4 (or more?) different versions of the program in a single downloadable package - TRS19, TRS19 PE, Trainz Plus and TRS22 - where your username decides which version and which features you get and upgrades to a better version (ignoring SP updates) do not involve a new download.

I can only hope that the "original" surveyor is retained so I can continue the enjoyment of placing the new future creations. .

As long as S2.0 Surveyor is a Trainz Plus only feature this will certainly be the case. For new Trainz users who have S2.0 as their first Surveyor experience there will be no need to retain S1.0 Surveyor but for us "old timers" a longer transition period will be a necessity.

Today Santa brought me TRS2022 Plus with Surveyor 2.0. Yes it's a learning curve to be sure but I think it will enable easier route creation.

Here is one feature that really saves time: Group Rotation.

Up to now, building a parking lot with a group of cars, or a street of different houses, not aligned to 90 degrees required multiple asset rotations. With S2.0, you select them all with the marquee tool and rotate as a group.

Well done N3V.

Today Santa brought me TRS2022 Plus with Surveyor 2.0. Yes it's a learning curve to be sure but I think it will enable easier route creation.

Here is one feature that really saves time: Group Rotation.

Up to now, building a parking lot with a group of cars, or a street of different houses, not aligned to 90 degrees required multiple asset rotations. With S2.0, you select them all with the marquee tool and rotate as a group.

Well done N3V.

And if you're a good boy, Santa will pay for the membership again next year :)

Glad you're enjoying it, Merry Christmas!

Good evening ev'rybody, from France.

Well, I updated to Trainz plus and Surveyor 2 ! I have read all the Surveyor 2 guide at

https://docs.trainzsimulator.com/docs/surveyor20

and did not find (or found, I'm not sure) the keyboard shortcut to rotate the paint brush or the scrapbooks - you know, the one that was [ or ] in Surveyor 1 (^ or ) on french keyboards)

Did some one found (or find, I'm not sure) the shortcut ?

Regards

Sorry if these questions had been ask before but I did not find it. In 2.0 how do you fill a selected area with a texture and how do you filter items just downloaded today?

Sorry if these questions had been ask before but I did not find it. In 2.0 how do you fill a selected area with a texture and how do you filter items just downloaded today?

To paint within a selected area, aka the marquee:

Draw your area.
Click on the small marque icon.
Choose Paint Within Marquee.

To filter for Today, or some other items:

Click on Filter List just below the icons for textures, scenery assets, splines, etc.:

The first category, ground textures will display the name ground textures below. This will change if you click on any of the icons.

Click on the word.
The list will pull down and in there is Today and other things you may have setup such as saved filters and picklists.

Hope this helps.

I recommend you RTFM:

Introducing S20 Tools - Surveyor 2.0 (trainzsimulator.com)

It's still WIP, but it'll still get you where you want for now.

Just updated to 116069 - does anyone else have a problem in S20 where dragged objects jump in large increments as if snapped to a grid (looks like 50mm when zoomed right in)? This is hopeless for fine adjustment. The previous build seemed to have a similar problem, but finer adjustment was possible when zoomed really close.

I'm finding myself reverting to S10 for quite a few tasks (straightening track, flipping lineside objects), but this is painful to have to do it to accurately place items.

Paul

How do we "Get height" (for terrain) in S20? I'm slowly figuring out most things, but I'm baffled by this one. Doubtless right in front of my face, but...

EDIT: Figured it out (or at least one way)... expand the information pane for 'Focus' and then copy & paste the 'Z' axis into the height window... seems kind of clumsy to me.

Last edited:
expand the information pane for 'Focus' and then copy & paste the 'Z' axis into the height window
There's a menu option next to the Info Z axis that does the copy paste. (Click the arrow > Use height to brush)

S20 where dragged objects jump in large increments as if snapped to a grid
You can get 0.01m adjustments using the Info > Pos X,Y, Z values.
Either type in a value or drag your mouse up or down on the arrows.

straightening track, flipping lineside objects
What are the advantages of Classic over using S20 for these operations?

Hi.

Just a wish for an enhancement in a future version of surveyor 2.0 : if the info palette could display the current name of the object selected (for objects that are named), it may help to quickly check if some objects are correctly named without the need to click on the custom menu and select the edit sub menu. If it was also possible from the info palette to rename the object it would be even better ...

When I make a route I usually rename all my signals and junctions default name to make them follow a specific naming convention for the route, and this needs quite a lot of clicks to edit all these objects properties to check the names are correct and to rename them. Being able to do this from the info palette would be from my point of vue a quite usefull enhancement to speed up the process.

Just my opinion.
Regards.
Pierre.

There's a menu option next to the Info Z axis that does the copy paste. (Click the arrow > Use height to brush)

You can get 0.01m adjustments using the Info > Pos X,Y, Z values.
Either type in a value or drag your mouse up or down on the arrows.

What are the advantages of Classic over using S20 for these operations?

That's an extraordinarily clunky way to do fine adjustments. It's useful as an option, but hopeless for anything not aligned to the grid.

For straightening & rotating trackside items, I guess it's just a matter of getting used to selecting all of the items first, and then applying the command. Dosing them individually is a lot more clicks than classic. On a related note, it is very frustrating having everything de-select when you miss an object when shift-clicking a number of objects.

Overall, I'm appreciating having the chance to try this out and give feedback before it goes into a full version of Trainz. This is a great opportunity to get this right - it's not quite there, but it shows a lot of promise.

Paul

Hi.

I agree with Paul that it is a bit frustating after selecting a lot of objects with shift-click to loose all the selection due to a last shift-click missing the last object to select.
If I want to deselect all the selected objects I will click with no shift outside the selection. So if I shift-click outside any object, the most probable is that I have missed the object I wanted to select and not that I wanted to deselect everything.
May be it would be nicer than shift-click outside any object does nothing instead of deselecting all the selected objects. If I want to deselect I can always only click with no shift outside any object.

Just my thoughts.
Regards.
Pierre.

Hi All
The deselect is something I've also bought up with the team, as personally I've found it quite annoying as well.

However, if you do accidentally deselect, hitting CTRL + Z should reselect the previous selection, and hence you can try again. Handy if you also accidentally just left click without shift as well :)

I've also passed on the suggestion regarding showing the name in the info palette :)

Regards

Back