Too Many Connections - Asset Error"

boleyd

Something I have never seen before is an error -- Too many connections
Is this something we can't remedy at the customer level?

Its real common for those that don't own a FCT that when all of the free ports are taken other users will receive that error. Its best to try again later to see if a free port opens up.
If you are getting that and you are a FCT holder then best to contact the helpdesk.

Cheers

Ok, thanks. I have an FCT but who knows. Just started using a VPN but the connection to the network is in Buffalo, only about 150 miles away. Never used a VPN and not sure of its real value if the VPN node is a few hundred miles away. VPN part of a package to get about 30 quality TV channels such as CNN, Fox, MSNBC, Showtime, etc.

If see it again I'll drop the VPN and see what happens.

By the way I have spent several moths messing up your American Mountains Route. For a long time I wondered why it was so attractive to me. Finally, the houses on the hills were the answer. The area you modeled is hills and low mountains. Many houses are on hills just like where I live at 1200ft elevation. Most routes have houses on flat lands.

Ok, thanks. I have an FCT but who knows. Just started using a VPN but the connection to the network is in Buffalo, only about 150 miles away. Never used a VPN and not sure of its real value if the VPN node is a few hundred miles away. VPN part of a package to get about 30 quality TV channels such as CNN, Fox, MSNBC, Showtime, etc.

If see it again I'll drop the VPN and see what happens.

By the way I have spent several moths messing up your American Mountains Route. For a long time I wondered why it was so attractive to me. Finally, the houses on the hills were the answer. The area you modeled is hills and low mountains. Many houses are on hills just like where I live at 1200ft elevation. Most routes have houses on flat lands.

The VPN might be timing out the connections and causing that message.

I too enjoy that route as well and have modified it (Sorry Hiawathamr) to include some different traffic and some iPortals so I can connect the route to my similar Great Northern Route I've cobbled together. I send my freights to my iPortal and pick up on the other side. It beats trying to model a gazillion tween baseboards to match the height difference.

Sounds interesting, but not seeing it on DLS or Hiawathamr's site? I see references saying "Head to The Shop - American Mountains", but when I go to "The Shop", there is no reference to it there.

Ah yes, and it is apparently now sold at NARM. Thanks for the head's up Grazlash!

EDIT: And apologies for the thread hijack! Please resume addressing the OP!

VPN isn't timing anything out. Just dropped my VPN to try and improve the dls speed, 348kbp/s max.

What a joke, i am on a fibre package with my isp unlimited. On any FREE site online i get anything between 8 - 10mb/s download anywhere in the world.

I pay a gold membership for the priviledge of using the dls. Never get more than around 2mb/s from them for a paid service.

Disgusting attitude to paying custmers, as usual. Oh it's now dropped to 146kbp/s. :eek::(

VPN isn't timing anything out. Just dropped my VPN to try and improve the dls speed, 348kbp/s max.

What a joke, i am on a fibre package with my isp unlimited. On any FREE site online i get anything between 8 - 10mb/s download anywhere in the world.

I pay a gold membership for the priviledge of using the dls. Never get more than around 2mb/s from them for a paid service.

Disgusting attitude to paying custmers, as usual. Oh it's now dropped to 146kbp/s. :eek::(

Network speed isn't just dictated by your ISP. This appears to be the speed provided by the DLS server because I get the same from where I am, and I rarely see a throttle down. The possibility is in order to provide an equal amount of service to EVERYONE, the bandwidth has been set to a particular level. The other free servers you are visiting may not have the same traffic levels, therefore, there is no limitation placed on the data speed.

The data speed drop could be caused by a number of things including the time of day, the number of users, your own hardware bottlenecking as it's processing the data while it's installing and downloading, LGM throwing cosmic rays, because there's a gazillion people online downloading the same content, and so on.

Exactly N$V are throttling it for a PAID service, it's all wrong.

There's a good chance this is what they paid for, or what that particular service allows. I know when I was responsible for IT and TELCO services, the cost of the services was a big determining factor for what we could get, and that was considered inexpensive. This all then gets factored into the tariff, SLA, and tariff period as setup by the company and the representative from the ISP and the TELCO providers. I remember the tariff the company had cost them $25,000 a month and the network speed wasn't a lot to write home about, and was far slower than you're seeing at your end.

But it isn't what i paid GM for buddy. They set the price not me. With that price i expect better access to the DLS than someone without a membership or the equivalent FCT.

I also pay for premium membership at UKTS and trainsim.com for TS20xx addons. Both sites give me MB/S download speeds not kbp/s.

Both incidentally cheaper than the amount i pay here.

Anyway it is what it is. I enjoy most facets of the game, but dealing with N3V. Is worse than having teeth pulled.

5 days since i put a ticket into help desk. To find out why with Gold membership, there are items of DLC i cannot access or download.

Yet more poor customer service.

Unlikely N3V is throttling anything, more likely a routing or DNS issue.

Had a look at the Server graph today? It seems to now be showing 10000kB/s, Uhh?

Time to investigate.......

Done a test download according to Manage Content highest 5.1 MB/sec lowest 3 MB/Sec, 7 items had installed before manage content moved off zero reading.
Checking simultaneously with bitmeter2 to measure the speed highest 9008 kB per second lowest 4900 kB/s. Looking at Bitmeter each asset is actually downloaded separately, which probably accounts for the totally inaccurate readings in Manage content.

If they have just increased the speed as per the server graph that might explain the problem as maybe they were tweaking while Mike was trying to download? Or it may not.

Whatever downloading a load of SpeedTree and edh6 loco updates was unbelievably quick.

A few years back, I thought N3V was throttling service to me as well even though I had an FCT for years. Turned out, when I upgraded my ISP service to nearly maximum I forgot I still had switches in my household LAN that were only 10/100 and not 100/1000. I also had two computers with 10/100 network cards. The switches and cards were the ones throttling my service, not N3V. My bad. I don't know if you use switches in your configuration, but it is something to think about.

Bill

Unlikely N3V is throttling anything, more likely a routing or DNS issue.

Had a look at the Server graph today? It seems to now be showing 10000kB/s, Uhh?

Time to investigate.......

Done a test download according to Manage Content highest 5.1 MB/sec lowest 3 MB/Sec, 7 items had installed before manage content moved off zero reading.
Checking simultaneously with bitmeter2 to measure the speed highest 9008 kB per second lowest 4900 kB/s. Looking at Bitmeter each asset is actually downloaded separately, which probably accounts for the totally inaccurate readings in Manage content.

If they have just increased the speed as per the server graph that might explain the problem as maybe they were tweaking while Mike was trying to download? Or it may not.

Whatever downloading a load of SpeedTree and edh6 loco updates was unbelievably quick.

Interesting experiment. :)

Do you see similar results when selecting a bunch of assets?

I just downloaded a bunch of updates. The number ranged from 4.75 mb/s to 5.8 mb/s as I downloaded 26 assets. The number was highest at the beginning then got slower towards the end. I wonder if this could be CM being busy writing the assets at the end and not so much as the actual speed of the network.

Where did you get Bitmeter2?

Is it a free utility?

John, I have always noticed that speeds are much faster right at the beginning (for me around 2.5MB/s to 3.7MB/s) then taper off as the downloads progress. As near as I can tell, this is definitely as CM begins stashing the content. Sometimes, near the end, the indicated speed is around 150KB/s.

AT&T has fibreOptics right up to the nearest distribution point, but not yet to my house. "Soon (tm)."

Bill

Interesting experiment. :)

Do you see similar results when selecting a bunch of assets?

I just downloaded a bunch of updates. The number ranged from 4.75 mb/s to 5.8 mb/s as I downloaded 26 assets. The number was highest at the beginning then got slower towards the end. I wonder if this could be CM being busy writing the assets at the end and not so much as the actual speed of the network.

Where did you get Bitmeter2?

Is it a free utility?

Yes similar results for multiple assets.

I am convinced that the speed indicator in Trainz is still indicating when assets are being installed and not downloaded. If you look at the graph in Bitmeter you can see where each asset starts downloading and ends before the next starts, pretty sure the reading in Trainz is getting cached in some way and is far from accurate.

Bitmeter2 is from Codebox, a coder not far from me in Manchester and is free, donations accepted for commercial use, I've been using it for years. https://codebox.net/pages/bitmeter2

Good discussion boys, but this has been going on for years. My ISP gives me 70mbp/s and doing the usual online speed checks confirms it is never much lower than 64mbp/s.

Any time of day and day in the week. Now i believe i am correct in saying, divide that by 8 to give me roughly 8MB/s, the speed i attain quite often on the net when downloading files.

The fastest speed i have seen on the DLS is around 2MB/s and that was only for minutes, not a sustained period. Plus it was a few years back, with an FCT not a membership plan.

On the plus side i had a very nice email earlier from Paul on the help desk. Explaining the delay to my query, Zec has covid (get well soon). So short staffed and not their fault.

But still did not explain why i did not have access to two items. Explaining they were Preview pass items. But with Gold membership i believe i have access to that feature.

Tell me i am wrong if i am by all means.

Grabbed the Bitmeter2 software thank you Malc.

Mike.

Yes similar results for multiple assets.

I am convinced that the speed indicator in Trainz is still indicating when assets are being installed and not downloaded. If you look at the graph in Bitmeter you can see where each asset starts downloading and ends before the next starts, pretty sure the reading in Trainz is getting cached in some way and is far from accurate.

Bitmeter2 is from Codebox, a coder not far from me in Manchester and is free, donations accepted for commercial use, I've been using it for years. https://codebox.net/pages/bitmeter2

Thanks Malc. I'll download this now. The other Manchester isn't too far from me either - about a 40 minute drive due to the traffic and roundabout way getting there. ;)

John, I have always noticed that speeds are much faster right at the beginning (for me around 2.5MB/s to 3.7MB/s) then taper off as the downloads progress. As near as I can tell, this is definitely as CM begins stashing the content. Sometimes, near the end, the indicated speed is around 150KB/s.

AT&T has fibreOptics right up to the nearest distribution point, but not yet to my house. "Soon (tm)."

Bill

Your results correlate with mine exactly. It could be a combination of things, but I think this a bigger part of the picture.

While my router is 1000 MB capable and so are my PCs, I only have an ancient 10/100 3COM 3000-series switch. This is one of those commercial devices my old company had and has been a workhorse since they gave it to me back in 2006. I was able to obtain a spare when the company closed but haven't gotten that out of the box yet. While I may be using a 10/100 network and that may seem a bit slow these days, it seems plenty fast for our needs. There are only a few printers, my computers, dad's and brother's equipment on the network.

These were great switches in their day with very powerful management capabilities. Using a browser interface, I was able to go in and configure what I needed to do such as being able to turn off connections and "degrade" the network when my nephews were living here. One of them used to download whole movies and I throttled his connection down to discourage that. To prevent him and his brother's from playing games on school nights after 9:00 pm, I disabled their ports on a schedule by editing the port configuration. Come 9:00 on a Monday thru Thursday and boink the network went offline, and it was time for bed.

Back