JR EMD LOCOMOTIVES OVERHEATING

poolboy

JR EMD LOCOMOTIVES OVERHEATING ISSUE

ATT: norfolksouthern37, Im have an issue with SD70MS, SD70MACS & SD80MACS Overheating and message overlay. Example: I have two SD70MACS hauling 70 x 100 ton open hoppers total trailing weight of 7905 tons on a 0 grade Overheating message overlay occurs at about 10mph and i have evan added a max tractive effort 780700 to the locomotive. im also getting getting similar results from SD70MS & SD80MACS. Its very obvious the SD70MS, SD70MACS & SD80MACS do not behave and are not very prototypical in the same manor as the real Locomotives, considering JR is making prototypical Locomotives and engine specs. Any ideas how to fix this annoying issue.
Justin, maybe u need to be taking more serious look at the voltage figure in the engine spec for SD70MS, SD70MACS & SD80MACS.
I have done the same test with I have two GP50s hauling 70 x 100 ton open hoppers total trailing weight of 7905 tons on a 0 grade and no Overheating message overlay occurs at at all evan at 10mph.

Justin are u able to make your tables available for creating engine specs? it would be greatly appreciated, Im working on a couple of things myself. Andrew.

Last edited:
ATT: norfolksouthern37, Im have an issue with SD70MS, SD70MACS & SD80MACS Overheating and message overlay. Example: I have two SD70MACS hauling 70 x 100 ton open hoppers total trailing weight of 7905 tons on a 0 grade Overheating message overlay occurs at about 10mph and i have evan added a max tractive effort 780700 to the locomotive. im also getting getting similar results from SD70MS & SD80MACS. Its very obvious the SD70MS, SD70MACS & SD80MACS do not behave and are not very prototypical in the same manor as the real Locomotives, considering JR is making prototypical Locomotives and engine specs. Any ideas how to fix this annoying issue.
Justin, maybe u need to be taking more serious look at the voltage figure in the engine spec for SD70MS, SD70MACS & SD80MACS.
I have done the same test with I have two GP50s hauling 70 x 100 ton open hoppers total trailing weight of 7905 tons on a 0 grade and no Overheating message overlay occurs at at all evan at 10mph.

Justin are u able to make your tables available for creating engine specs? it would be greatly appreciated, Im working on a couple of things myself. Andrew.

First thing I would check is that you have all of the latest versions of the engine specs from the DLS or from https://jointedrail.com/product/engine-specs/

Back when the 70 and 80 series was made at JR the variables were somewhat different in the engine specs. I have typically updated the specs on the DLS and site when changes are made.

norfolksouthern37, I already have the latest versions of the engine specs installed. norfolksouthern37 u are not getting what iam saying about the voltage figure in the engine spec Example: AC6000 is able put out 6000hp and u have evan put voltage figure at 3000, so i would with the SD80MAC the voltage figure would be about 2600.
Are u able to help with
cacalating out throttle curves.

Last edited:
I was not able to reproduce the conditions you specify with 2x SD70MAC and 8000 tons on a flat grade. There are no overheating messages and few problems getting the train moving (just minor wheelslip with high throttle positions from stop TRS19).

I do know the maxvoltage tag it is used to set the scaling of the ammeter and current drawn but i do not know the inference you are drawing here.

You did not specify if it was the traction motors or the prime mover overheating in your post, but i was not able to reproduce the situation in any case. in very simple terms, the overheating works like this:

Code:
    traction motors:
    if the current drawn remains over a certain amperage for a set amount of time (short-time) then a chance of 1:20 that a motor will overheat, this does NOT apply to AC powered locomotives by a config tag.

prime mover:
    The prime mover has a heat value that increases over time, the amount it increases is based on the throttle position and the current load. the activation of fans will remove from that heat value a certain amount over time as they run. if the value remains too high for a set amount of time then there is a 1:20 chance the prime mover will overheat.

These are not exactly new offerings and have been around for a long time with most any problems having been taken care of years ago. Just be sure you have the latest files for them and there should be no problems.

norfolksouthern37, Im testing TANE and not sure whitch one is overheating "here traction motors or the prime mover overheating"

Back