Multiple Portals - Sequential Operation?

boleyd

If there are multiple portals in a route do they operate totally independently when each is controlled by its own Central Portal Control manager? Also just to verify, multiple trains in a single copy of Central Portal Control operate sequentially - only one train under a single copy of the program will run at a time.

Back in TS12 days I ran a massive route that was a number of different routes that ran from Los Angeles to Chicago. there were 47 portals joining them, all running on their own. There were 35 consists running all the time. It took 5 minutes to load the map, but it ran quite well for TS12. The only problem was if you saved a session, any train in a portal was missing when the session was reloaded.
Cheers,
Mike

It's been quite a while since I played with CPC but if memory serves, you can set up multiple portals with one iteration of the rule.

I've found pguy's <kuid2:61392:5011:53> Quick Portal Manager standard edition (SP4 and later) to be more flexible and it does handle multiple portals.

:B~)

Thanks for the input. I think I will try to use Central Portal Control because of the immediate Emit feature. I am "operating" a small local railroad in Central Pennsylvania. It receives and sends material from/to Wilkes-Barre, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia and Harrisburg. My original plan was to have a portal for each city. However, that did not seem to work, although I may investigate some more. The alternative is one portal managing several trains which Central Portal is designed for. The problem with it seems to be every train is identified with a consist number. I would prefer a name for each train

So, thanks for the inputs. A giant railroad sounds like a real challenge but age is a limitation.

Again THANKS

Hi Dick.

In the early days of Quick Portal Manager, the links were designed to enable to link an output portal to another input portal. You need to set the same abritrary string for the out link of the output portal and the in link of the input portal and each train leaving through the output portal should reappear through the input portal. Using links you can have several output portal linked to the same input portal. Linking an output portal to several input portal should be avoided (I did not try but I bet that will be a mess ... ). And there is also a parameter either in the output portal definition or the input portal definition that enable to define a delay between outgoing operation and input operation.
I don't think it is still used (but I may do not fully know what some users do with my assets) and I am not sure to keep this feature in some future rewrite of QPM assets. So my advice is more to avois use these linking feature ...

Hope this helps.
Regards.
Pierre.

If there are multiple portals in a route do they operate totally independently when each is controlled by its own Central Portal Control manager? Also just to verify, multiple trains in a single copy of Central Portal Control operate sequentially - only one train under a single copy of the program will run at a time.

Hi Dick.

Yes each portal is a gameobject and run its operations under its own threads. So operations in several portals may run concurrently at the same time.

When you use a Central Portal Control Manager, this may apprently change as it is the central portal control manager that requests each target portal to emit a train. Though each portal still emits independantly and concurently their train, if the central portal control manager requests train emition sequentially from all the portals it manages, then the portals will emit their train sequentially following the requests received from the central portal control manager.

Hope it helps.
Regards.
Pierre.

Back