Developer settings

nimec

On the Launcher a message notice board in black has come up with the message 'Please note that one of the developer settings are active, which may negatively impact game play'. It certainly does and has affected all the colours, and cant be played. I have had a look at all the options on the developer tab but as I don't really know what I'm looking at, I cant find anything that seems to be open.
Does anyone have an idea what the problem is? I have Trs19 Platinum 111951 and have just recently installed UMR 2021 and I have a few faulty kuids. Cheers

Last edited:
The most common culprit here is the Compatibility Mode. For normal Trainz use it should be set to "Maximise compatibility". The "Maximise performance" setting is for development work only.

Last edited:
Good Morning Nimec
Please try following these steps to reset the developer settings in Trainz:

1) Double click on your Trainz icon
2) Click on Trainz Settings
3) Click on the 'Dev' tab'
4) Change the following settings:
Debug render: none
Compatibility mode: maximise compatibility

Additionally, unless you are specifically using them, we would recommend unchecking the 4 tickboxes below these settings.

good advice by pware and Zec ofc

but I see it like this:
When walking i get a splinter in my foot,
i can ignore the pain and walk on or get it out.

Its best to detect any error, try to fix and if you cant, replace/delete the asset
specially on bigger routes this will enhance performance
enjoy UMR its great

GM, have you seen the results of that problem. I inadvertently checked that performance box one day and was greeted with a sea of pink and blue. :D

haha yes, you got a lot of work to do :)
that makes trainz so fun and you learn a lot in the process

The most common culprit here is the Compatibility Mode. For normal Trainz use it should be set to "Maximise compatibility". The "Maximise performance" setting is for development work only.

When I run one of my routes in the compatibility setting and compare it with running it in the performance setting I don't see any difference, either in the graphics or frame rates.

My question is what is the difference between the two settings? If my routes run OK in the performance settings is there an advantage to this setting over the compatibility setting?

If my routes run OK in the performance settings is there an advantage to this setting over the compatibility setting?

It was quite a while ago and I must admit that I do not remember the exact details, but I did once set the compatibility mode to "Maximise performance" because I thought that it would be a good way to get "better' performance. I did not notice any difference in the frame rates (which does not mean that there was none) but I did notice other problems, such as Session Rules and Driver Commands not working correctly or being ignored entirely. I did not immediately "twig" that the change in the mode was the cause until I looked at posts on the matter in these forums. I suspect that the feature sacrificed some aspects of Trainz operations to achieve improvements in other areas - so a development "feature". My theory any way.

Hi Paul_Bert and Pware
The 'maximise performance' mode primarily changes how scripts are handled, so you should generally see at least slightly better performance but at the moment the difference is likely to be minimal in most situations. However where scripts are using unsupported legacy/poor performing methods (ie methods that have been replaced), they may be stopped (and a relevant error message shown in the logs, or the 'red bug' if show script exception notifications is turned on) in this mode.

As a note, the Kickstarter County 2 route always runs in 'maximise performance' mode, so if you are testing a scripted asset for release this is a good place to test it :)

Regards

you state:
4) Change the following settings:
Debug render: none
Please explain what the other drop down setting mean....
Thanks

Back