Is it too late?

Duke1234

Hi yall,

I'm thinking about finally migrating to Trainz 2019? Or should I just hold off for the next release? I know the whole bi-annual release thing is kind of over and TRS2019 seems like a good stable platform. I already own 2019, I bought it just to support N3V/Auran, I'd just like your opinions to know if a appropriate time to migrate.

Thanks,
Dugen

I have not looked back since they resolved the initial and SP issues.
My route is work in progress from the 2004 version, it will never be finished as it encompasses the ECML through part of North Yorkshire.
Only suggestion is wait until the SP3 is issued, supposed to be in about two to three weeks.
Also make sure that you current install is up to date and clean.
You will experience some issues when importing you current work, this appears to always be the case.

I would say yes but why not have the best of both worlds and run them both side by side for a few weeks. There is a fair chance you will have a few minor issues but resolve them in T:ANE and try again. For example if TRS19 doesn't like a particular type of tree do search and replace in T:ANE which you are very familiar with until you find one it does like and try again, that way even if for the time being you decide to stick with T:ANE in the future when you do change half of any potential problems are already resolved.

As for game play my preference is TRS19 not that like T:ANE it has its frustrations but as a builder myself, you can create a far more realistic route on the same hardware and I think drivers will mainly agree its a very similar experience for them. Good luck, Peter

I have had TRS19 since it was released in 2018 and, as a result of the terrible lighting model used, I am still working in T-ANE. You might find the lighting fine depending on the part of the world you are Trainzing in. Typically it seems to be more suited to "hot climate" countries with a brutal glare from the sun. I model UK and it is useless unless the observer/creator is totally focused on the railway workings and is blissfully unaware of the Gobi Desert lighting. Sadly, for all the comments made about the lighting, N3V appear to have their heads buried in the sand. They are probably so absorbed with the small device version of Trainz that they are hoping this issue will "go away". It might, as I have uninstalled TRS19 in total disgust. With TRS19, I would suggest that geography/locale is everything. Regards. Colin (Driver_Col)

I have had TRS19 since it was released in 2018 and, as a result of the terrible lighting model used, I am still working in T-ANE. You might find the lighting fine depending on the part of the world you are Trainzing in. Typically it seems to be more suited to "hot climate" countries with a brutal glare from the sun. I model UK and it is useless unless the observer/creator is totally focused on the railway workings and is blissfully unaware of the Gobi Desert lighting. Sadly, for all the comments made about the lighting, N3V appear to have their heads buried in the sand. They are probably so absorbed with the small device version of Trainz that they are hoping this issue will "go away". It might, as I have uninstalled TRS19 in total disgust. With TRS19, I would suggest that geography/locale is everything. Regards. Colin (Driver_Col)

As usual, they go for the fun glossy and sparkly stuff rather than the underlying fixes and details that need addressing. It's like visiting someone with a nicely painted house with a pretty garden, but upon entering the interior hasn't been renovated in decades.

As far as the lighting goes, I realize this is a new product, and also there are more settings to play with, so I reset the environment first to level the playing field before I make adjustments. Using that, I've been able to get the lighting close to what it looks like in TANE. Once I have that, I adjust my settings accordingly.

Thanks for info Colin. I am finally nearing sale of house (son over from KL) so will be purchasing computer for use in my care home.

So much "stuff" to organise so will probably discard discs and purchase new, although N3V still have'nt got things much better. May be horribly wrong in view as I have not visited forum for so long or run Trainz.

Keep up the good work and keep well.

Sellick

As usual, they go for the fun glossy and sparkly stuff rather than the underlying fixes and details that need addressing. It's like visiting someone with a nicely painted house with a pretty garden, but upon entering the interior hasn't been renovated in decades.

As far as the lighting goes, I realize this is a new product, and also there are more settings to play with, so I reset the environment first to level the playing field before I make adjustments. Using that, I've been able to get the lighting close to what it looks like in TANE. Once I have that, I adjust my settings accordingly.

Hi John - Just to clarify for you (and anybody else following this dialogue), I do agree that TRS19 has some impressive features. I have even been able to create very effective landscaping with it. My problem is that my Routes are built around the "loop" principle and, as I tend to follow my trains around, a complete loop covers a 360 degree view of the Route ... and therein is the problem.

My Routes in TRS19 can be made to look really good within a 345 to 350 degree range. it is the remaining 10 to 15 degrees which are when the sun's position is contrary to anything I have seen in the UK. Anybody who is familiar with my TANE Routes will know that I put a lot of emphasis in the scenic aspects, and so to see rolling hills with a glaze on them and where details are lost ..... gives me no incentive to put a few hundred hours into adapting my Routes for TRS19.

Hope that clarifies my perspective. Regards to all. Colin (Driver_Col)

Thanks for info Colin. I am finally nearing sale of house (son over from KL) so will be purchasing computer for use in my care home.

So much "stuff" to organise so will probably discard discs and purchase new, although N3V still have'nt got things much better. May be horribly wrong in view as I have not visited forum for so long or run Trainz.

Keep up the good work and keep well.

Sellick

In general, TRS19 is the best version yet but, if UK Routes are important to you, the decision between TRS19 vs T-ANE can be a tough call! Hopefully you'll be enjoying a new PC very soon!!!! :) Regards. Colin.

Hi John - Just to clarify for you (and anybody else following this dialogue), I do agree that TRS19 has some impressive features. I have even been able to create very effective landscaping with it. My problem is that my Routes are built around the "loop" principle and, as I tend to follow my trains around, a complete loop covers a 360 degree view of the Route ... and therein is the problem.

My Routes in TRS19 can be made to look really good within a 345 to 350 degree range. it is the remaining 10 to 15 degrees which are when the sun's position is contrary to anything I have seen in the UK. Anybody who is familiar with my TANE Routes will know that I put a lot of emphasis in the scenic aspects, and so to see rolling hills with a glaze on them and where details are lost ..... gives me no incentive to put a few hundred hours into adapting my Routes for TRS19.

Hope that clarifies my perspective. Regards to all. Colin (Driver_Col)

I understand, Colin. I've run into exactly the same issue with certain angles as well. The sun and ambient light does work well for the southern hemisphere. I know because I installed a very fine Australian route that looked perfect in the lighting, but it definitely does not work well for me either since I live in New England which is located in the upper northeastern portion of the US. We share many of the same weather patterns as you do; we just get them first. :) We also have the same weather too in New England with lots of cooler temperatures, drizzle and fog, although, that can be contested these days with the extreme heat and humidity making the weather similar to the South.

With that said, I've played around and found that by defaulting the lighting, as I said above, I can get it close to what I had in TANE and even TS12. Close, yes, but not quite there as usual.

What are the settings you use in Trainz 2019 to give lighting comparable to TANE?

Last edited:
Many visual assets are older. where the white color is excessively bright. However, I can get fairly decent lighting with a lot of fiddling. I usually target a nicely textured white surface and adjust to expose the detailing buried by the weird "glare". You should have some none-N3v standard to first set your PC/display. I use live TV, studio produced news programs. "Covid remotes" are always shaky. Must be live studio production. With that baseline I begin the exposure of detailed white based textures. Pick a shadowed area for Ambient Light adjustments.

This "glare" began with possibly TS10. It was immediately noticeable with a release in that era. Assets(ground and structure) from that era literally glowed in the dark when you adjusted with earlier Tane items. I could be off on the timing but there was a definite "make em glow" transition in that area. Some of the structures from today still suffer from white glow. Adjusting to expose their texture makes the other elements unacceptable. Find a more recent replacement.
Remember depressing the Shift Key wile adjusting the three color wheels make them move together and really helps.

I adjust the color on my displays by using a color chart meant for calibrating scanners and photostat cameras for chromatic film. Anyone is welcome to use this if they want. This might also be a nice way to adjust the colors in a route by using this as a texture on a scenery object.

IT8.jpg

Back