Why Windows 10 sucks

Erm it's under folder options...... been there since Win 95.......

Set up the folder how you would like all of them to look in file explorer.
Click view so it shows large icons, small icons etc, on the right click options, which opens Folder Options.
Click view, under top item Folder views, click apply to all folders.

Has to be done from File Explorer as it needs an open folder to use as the template.

Job done

Doesn't always work, Malc. been there, done that, still frustrated by Win10 changing without orders to something it wants to do instead of what I want it to do.

I think it has to do with the wording of the Folder Options dialogue box. It adds "Of this type" to what you select. Windows doesn't see every folder as the same "type," so we get mixed folder panels and frustration.

Bill

Last edited:
Prepare yourselves Windows 11 is coming and it will also change how we are doing things in Win10 - progress is a learning curve and then some!

Prepare yourselves Windows 11 is coming and it will also change how we are doing things in Win10 - progress is a learning curve and then some!

I'm running it now... It's the same as Windows 10 except it has rounded corners on the opened windows, and there's little distinction between which window is clicked or not. I'm not pleased with it, let me put it that way...

There is a tool available that will check your system to see if it can handle Windows 11. It is HERE.

This is a visual representation of your system and what might be needed to make W11 work.

Bill

I actually like it somewhat. I use the beta as my standard OS now, and all the stuff you're used to in Windows 10 is still there. Just modernized and moved around a little bit.

Doesn't always work, Malc. been there, done that, still frustrated by Win10 changing without orders to something it wants to do instead of what I want it to do.

I think it has to do with the wording of the Folder Options dialogue box. It adds "Of this type" to what you select. Windows doesn't see every folder as the same "type," so we get mixed folder panels and frustration.

Bill

Think you may also need to stop Windows automatic folder discovery with a registry edit, forgot I'd done that as well https://winaero.com/disable-folder-type-discovery-windows-10/ or use WinAeroTweaker to do it.

Yeah. That makes sense. Mine was previously a mish-mash of types. I can see what the change will do.

Bill

Bill

Exactly my experience with Folder Options too. It’s a PITA.

I'm running it now... It's the same as Windows 10 except it has rounded corners on the opened windows, and there's little distinction between which window is clicked or not. I'm not pleased with it, let me put it that way...

As I'm an Insider and like a challenge, I'm running the Win 11 Insider Beta here, as luck would have it I have upgraded my first generation Ryzen 5 1600 to a Ryzen 7 3800X, it was 20% off in a sale, 8 cores 16 threads. 3xxx series is the max for my Asus B350 motherboard, added 16GB of Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000 Mhz DDR4, moved the 1080TI from the i7 rig and the thing now flies and it's Win 11 compliant, runs TRS19 extremely well with an increase in Frame rate. It's made my i7 rig look very slow and dated now though. :(
It's a bit of a culture shock, I quite like the appearance apart from that blue cabbage which I got rid straight away.
It's still in early stages so some things are not quite working properly yet.
Good points are Networking appears to now work properly, got SMB3 enabled by default, settings are now in logically grouped pages, it pretty snappy in use and everthing I have here works in it properly.
Not good is the locked task bar, the annoying widgets thing needs Bing / Edge - removed it, the terrible News thing also Edge only so that's gone, Microsoft Teams, not interested so deleted and putting Twitter Telegram and other Social media crap on the Start menu I did not appreciate, luckilly its all easily uninstalled.
Most annoying though are the attempts by Microsoft to make their apps the default for everything including the browser which has got load complaints from the Firefox, Opera and Chrome developers as Edge is overiding default browser settings and currently the only way to sort it is to change every flipping protocol back to Firefox or whatever browser you use manually, they clearly didn't learn after the IE debacle a few years ago.
I'm using Open Shell for the Start menu, not the diabolical Win 3.1 style thing! However the "fixers" are on the job, anything you want to know go here https://www.elevenforum.com/ yes I'm plugging it. ;)

Oh and don't go wasting money at scaper prices on TPM2 modules, it's been built into Processors since Haswell CPUs, just needs enabling in the Bios and no it's never been documented in the manuals fun eh? However the like of Asus are providing bios updates that effectively just turn it on for those who can't find where it's hiding.

There are some changes coming for Win10 in October as well so be warned!

Last edited:
And, don't get me started on the outrageous update situation. I've quit trying to get updates newer than February 2021. The update process is broken and MS doesn't care. I'm still running version 1909 (July 2020) and cannot get past it. It always fails. I rarely connect to the Internet, except to use the DLS, so I really don't care. If N3V would produce a Linux version of Trainz, I'd be off MS for good.

Bill

Wow! I spent days trying to get passed not being able to update Win 10 (update page broken) wasted 5GB of downloads (1/6th of my monthly allowance) and got nowhere! I too am stuck on Build 1909 and no-one came up with a solution. Linux is VERY tempting, and if N3V made Trainz to run on that, I'd change immediately.

Think you may also need to stop Windows automatic folder discovery with a registry edit, forgot I'd done that as well https://winaero.com/disable-folder-type-discovery-windows-10/ or use WinAeroTweaker to do it.

Well nothing else I've tried has found any problems. That link said over 500 files needed fixing ----- for a price! I don't trust sneaky programs like that which never mention a price until AFTER you've run a scan. It's not in my budget at this time, so I'll live with not being able to update. As for Win 11 I checked that out and it says my CPU isn't compatible. Hell it is only 2 years old, like the rest of my pc. Guess I'm stuck on Win 10 which is fine by me anyway.

Try asking on Ten Forums? may have more success skipping a version or two and doing an inplace upgrade, use the MCT create an ISO, mount it and run the setup from it.

Also helps to remove any external drives anything plugged into USB ports.

Well nothing else I've tried has found any problems. That link said over 500 files needed fixing ----- for a price! I don't trust sneaky programs like that which never mention a price until AFTER you've run a scan. It's not in my budget at this time, so I'll live with not being able to update. As for Win 11 I checked that out and it says my CPU isn't compatible. Hell it is only 2 years old, like the rest of my pc. Guess I'm stuck on Win 10 which is fine by me anyway.

You were not supposed to click a link you were supposed to read the flipping article!

Back