Unnamed Missing Assets -- Am I Doing Something Wrong?

geno1005

I just downloaded a route that looked interesting to me...nearly 2000 assets...when it was all done, there are about 20 to 25 of those that were just a kuid number and the description "unknown asset"...no other information. This seems like it happens most of the time and I"m trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Sometimes the assets that are missing are minor enough to the operation of the route that I just ignore them, but in many cases, it appears to be something important. In this case despite 1800+ good assets, one of the 20 that's missing appears to be the track...which makes it quite difficult to operate.

So after all that downloading I just deleted it, but wanted to see --for future downloads--if there's something I'm doing wrong that's making this happen.

Thanks everyone.

It’s not you, it’s the route author who used assets (directly or indirectly in the form of dependencies) from sources that your installation of Trainz has no access to.

These are typically on third party websites which may still exist, or may not. It’s then a matter of searching for them manually. You can try contacting the route’s author to ask where they sourced those assets, look them up on KUIDindex.com (something like that), post a list here on the forum and hope someone can help, or try google/bing searches.

They might also be assets that were built into other editions of Trainz but never put on the Download Station. That’s on N3V.

Last edited:
Often, it may also be assets included in payware that the route author used in his route. Payware assets, if you don't own them, show up as unknown also. It is best to do as Dinorius recommends and post the missing KUIDs so hopefully someone here can help you track them down. You may also want to mention which route you are trying to get them for, as others may have run into the same thing and found the answers.

Thank you for the advice and the reassurance that it wasn't just 'operator error' this time. I'm traveling and don't have access to my Trainz computer right now, but will post those assets upon my return home. Thanks again!

Finding missing assets can become tiresome, tedious, and tumultuous! Don't be afraid to just hit the Delete on those routes. Life is too short. (Unless you really just love looking for assets.) Keep downloading and deleting if need be. You will soon learn which creators to look to for fewest missing assets.

It is a hassle to find a missing kuid but sometimes It takes a bit of investigation for a revised/upgrade version of an item. if I have the older version, I look up the kuid for the new missing item, find out what the name of the item is in the config. go to the older kuid and find out the working item that still works and copy it and then paste it in the newer config. 90% of the times it works. If if is a bogey, then find a compatible bogey and put it in the new config. for appearance sake it might not be a problem, but for a perfectionist it might be difficult to swallow.

Finding missing assets can become tiresome, tedious, and tumultuous! Don't be afraid to just hit the Delete on those routes. Life is too short. (Unless you really just love looking for assets.) Keep downloading and deleting if need be. You will soon learn which creators to look to for fewest missing assets.

Sometimes it's difficult to not think of TS2019/TRS19 as a puzzle solving game rather than a railway simulator. Whenever I solve a part of the puzzle and end up with a functional dependency I file it away just in case it's needed again. I'm sure others here on the forum do the same so it's always worthwhile asking about unknown/missing/broken dependencies just in case someone has found a solution.

Sometimes it's difficult to not think of TS2019/TRS19 as a puzzle solving game rather than a railway simulator...

I agree with that! The railway, train and simulator functions are now secondary, indeed, tertiary, to the MENSA like puzzle solving mental acrobatics of the problems that occur in Trainz in general! Trainz has definitely lost its way!

Rob.

I agree with that! The railway, train and simulator functions are now secondary, indeed, tertiary, to the MENSA like puzzle solving mental acrobatics of the problems that occur in Trainz in general! Trainz has definitely lost its way!

Rob.

There's always something good that comes out of this you know. Without the daily puzzle solving, my mind would have withered away ages ago.

Back